The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul. 23, 2009
    Location
    Bradenton, FL
    Posts
    840

    Default supplements for ulcers and gaining appetite

    My gelding has recently stopped finishing his grain. Sometimes he eats half of it, sometimes most, and sometimes hardly any at all. My trainer told me to put him on a supplement that will help prevent and buffer ulcers incase that is the cause. He hasn't been showing an signs of ulcers other than not finishing his grain, but he is a nervous horse that is in pretty heavy training so it is a possibility. I have no experience with ulcer or appetite increasing supplements though. What do you suggest?

    Also, I can't afford to spend more than about $30.

    Thanks guys!!



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar. 7, 2003
    Location
    Mudville, GA ;-)
    Posts
    9,224

    Default

    $30 a day? That would be UlcerGard!
    Y'all ain't right!



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul. 9, 2008
    Posts
    724

    Default

    $30 a day? a month? a year?

    If you have a tiny budget what happens when you have to take your horse to the vet hospital because of ulcers?

    Has your horse been scoped for ulcers? Too many people start treatment without even knowing if their horse has ulcers.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar. 23, 2009
    Location
    Paddle faster! I hear banjo music...
    Posts
    1,168

    Default

    Ulcergard and Gastrogard are by far the best but very cost prohibitive. My only other recommendation is a prescription dose of U-Gard. Can purchase from A to Z Vet Supply. I lay it to them and it definitely works. Any of my traveling horses get this when the owners can't afford Ulcergard/Gastrogard. Also, supplement with alfalfa and allow free choice hay.
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr. 20, 2009
    Posts
    335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kitsunegari View Post
    $30 a day? a month? a year?

    If you have a tiny budget what happens when you have to take your horse to the vet hospital because of ulcers?

    Has your horse been scoped for ulcers? Too many people start treatment without even knowing if their horse has ulcers.
    Agree with the first part.

    As far as scoping goes, in some cases it may be more expensive than the treatment. Since Gastrogard won't hurt them, many people opt to try "diagnosis by treatment" instead - treating them with Gastrogard and seeing if the problem goes away. Generally, the standard course of treatment is a dose (one tube) of Gastrogard once per day for 28 days, followed by regular treatment with Ulcergard (1/4 tube once per day). As a side note, Gastrogard and Ulcergard are exactly the same thing, just given at different dosages. It is expensive though, especially those first 28 days. Unfortunately, if you DON'T do those first 28 days, it seems that the Ulcergard will still be enough to keep the ulcers from getting worse, but not to allow them to actually heal.

    If you get the ulcers to heal, your horse may remain comfortable on Ranitidine instead of Ulcergard, but that's something to discuss with your vet (they have different mechanisms of action and Ranitidine may not be as effective, but it is certainly cheaper).



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul. 23, 2001
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,963

    Default

    I hate to tell you this, but a nervous horse in heavy training and not finishing his grain IS showing signs of ulcers . . . I personally don't scope. I diagnose using Ulcergard. It's $30 a tube online. It does not need an presciption. It's the same as Gastrogard, just marketed differently. You need to give him one full tube every day for about seven/eight days. If you see a difference in horse, especially if he's resumed eating, then you know you have ulcers. Unfortunately, the only thing that really TREATS them is the Ulcergard. You might be able to scrimp a bit by not giving the whole tube after say an initial two weeks of it daily. You might be able to do to half a tube and then a quarter tube for economic reasons only. (The usual dose is one tube a day for 30 days). You can also do a few other things:

    Add alfalfa to his diet
    Add pre-/probiotics to his feed
    Use a digestive/ulcer supplement (I use Smart Gut)
    Add aloe vera juice to his feed
    Add papaya to his feed.

    If you go this route and he's still not finishing his grain and you see no improvement, you really must call the vet . . .

    Good luck!



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul. 23, 2009
    Location
    Bradenton, FL
    Posts
    840

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kitsunegari View Post
    $30 a day? a month? a year?

    If you have a tiny budget what happens when you have to take your horse to the vet hospital because of ulcers?

    Has your horse been scoped for ulcers? Too many people start treatment without even knowing if their horse has ulcers.
    Sorry. A month. or about a month.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul. 23, 2009
    Location
    Bradenton, FL
    Posts
    840

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hollyhorse2000 View Post
    I hate to tell you this, but a nervous horse in heavy training and not finishing his grain IS showing signs of ulcers . . . I personally don't scope. I diagnose using Ulcergard. It's $30 a tube online. It does not need an presciption. It's the same as Gastrogard, just marketed differently. You need to give him one full tube every day for about seven/eight days. If you see a difference in horse, especially if he's resumed eating, then you know you have ulcers. Unfortunately, the only thing that really TREATS them is the Ulcergard. You might be able to scrimp a bit by not giving the whole tube after say an initial two weeks of it daily. You might be able to do to half a tube and then a quarter tube for economic reasons only. (The usual dose is one tube a day for 30 days). You can also do a few other things:

    Add alfalfa to his diet
    Add pre-/probiotics to his feed
    Use a digestive/ulcer supplement (I use Smart Gut)
    Add aloe vera juice to his feed
    Add papaya to his feed.

    If you go this route and he's still not finishing his grain and you see no improvement, you really must call the vet . . .

    Good luck!
    He has always been a nervous horse. He used to be a lot more nervous than nervous than he is now. The only change in him is that he hasn't been finishing his feed.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec. 22, 2008
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by forestergirl99 View Post
    He has always been a nervous horse. He used to be a lot more nervous than nervous than he is now. The only change in him is that he hasn't been finishing his feed.
    I strongly recommend Gastrogard or Ulcergard, I, too tried to fix my horse's ulcers the cheap way, but the only thing that REALLY worked was the Gastrogard. The price sucks, but it comes with owning a horse I guess.

    Good luck!



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2005
    Location
    McMinnville, Oregon
    Posts
    312

    Default U-7

    This is what we did and it worked like a charm. We put the horse on generic omeprazole for a month (got it from our vet at a FRACTION of Gastrogard's or Ulcer-gard's cost) and then put him on Finish Line's U-7. This program made a huge difference. We are still using the U-7 with great results. Once you get through the month of omeprazole and then the first month of U-7 where you have to double dose, you can then back off to half the amount. One big bottle of the liquid costs around $50 and after you're done with that first month, it should last approx. 2 months. We also use a grain with pre/probiotics as well as digestive enzymes.

    www.foxdalefarm.us



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct. 22, 2009
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Hi, I normally do not write in on these sites, but I have had extensive experience with ulcers in horses. I definately agree with ulcergard/gastrogard, but something else that I feel has really helped my horses is Suceed. Suceed helps more with digestive functioning as a whole and hind gut ulcers. I have had such luck with it in the past that now all my horses live on Suceed no matter what. It has definately helped my young hunter gain weight. We also have an old been there done that jumper who always used to poop a lot when you rode him. Since the Suceed he no longer does. I also give a 1/4 to 1/2 tube of ulcergard to them too, but only when they are shipping or showing. Good luck!



  12. #12

    Default

    To those of you suggesting alfalfa, is it to purely put on weight, or is there some digestive/ulcer related reason as well? And what about feeding alfalfa to ponies or hot horses? This is coming from an east coast person - I know horses 'live' on alfalfa on the west coast.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov. 24, 1999
    Location
    Central Virginia
    Posts
    193

    Default

    I've gone to a beet pulp based feed. I dose the hard keepers with a probiotic from the health food store and feed an ounce of aloe juice a day to soothe the stomach. Now all of my guys are fat as ticks. I also feed a good timothy/orchard grass hay and the whole herd is on good pasture at least 12 hours/day.

    As for Succeed, I've had vets look at the ingredients. There isn't anything really special in it that you can't get a lot cheaper from Whole Foods.



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar. 7, 2003
    Location
    Mudville, GA ;-)
    Posts
    9,224

    Default

    I have one who had ulcers. In addition to giving him UlcerGard, i made some changes. I put him on a beet pulp based feed (Triple Crown Complete). I had to cut back the amount of feed he was getting and up his hay. That was really hard for me, but it was the right thing to do. He wouldn't eat alfalfa with his feed, but we always gave him as much as he'd eat before he went to work. He likes the cubes as treats. When he finished up his month of UlcerGard I put him on SmartGut (it will test, but if you're not doing big shows, it won't matter). He's been great for almost a year now and I like the SmartGut a lot. Check it out http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...ctclassid=6320
    Y'all ain't right!



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar. 19, 2003
    Posts
    378

    Default

    Ulcers are a real possibility. Personally I would also have his teeth checked to make sure nothing has changed there.
    M
    Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from behind, or a fool from any direction



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb. 12, 2009
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    435

    Default

    I've had success using gastroguard to get rid of the ulcers initially and then feeding Neighlox as a supplement to help keep them away. It also helps to feed them some alfalfa before giving grain.



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep. 24, 2009
    Location
    Aiken, SC
    Posts
    414

    Default

    APF helps too, but only after you have healed the ulcers... it is really necessary to do the gastrogard or opremazole, if you can get it compounded...
    http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...7/PIC_0491.jpg
    Live, Cherish, and Enjoy every moment.



  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeastieSlave View Post
    I have one who had ulcers. In addition to giving him UlcerGard, i made some changes. I put him on a beet pulp based feed (Triple Crown Complete). I had to cut back the amount of feed he was getting and up his hay. That was really hard for me, but it was the right thing to do. He wouldn't eat alfalfa with his feed, but we always gave him as much as he'd eat before he went to work. He likes the cubes as treats. When he finished up his month of UlcerGard I put him on SmartGut (it will test, but if you're not doing big shows, it won't matter). He's been great for almost a year now and I like the SmartGut a lot. Check it out http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...ctclassid=6320
    What is in SmartGut that would make it a banned substance for USEF shows? Am I missing something?



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov. 8, 2006
    Location
    York, PA
    Posts
    173

    Default

    My guy got a couple of rounds of Gastroguard when we figured out ulcers were his problem with not putting on weight. He is on Fibergized that contains beet pulp and also receives a 1/4 cup of Natural Plan Stomach Soother at his am/pm feeding. He then receives Ulcerguard the day before, of, and after when he is hauled. He responded very well to the daily treatment of Gastroguard and that is why I also started to use the Stomach Soother on a daily basis as well.



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar. 24, 2004
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    1,282

    Default

    Run a fecal. My TB will back off on his feed intake when he has parasites. His fecal egg counts rise faster after deworming than the other horses in the herd, so he gets dewormed more often. Your horse may very well have ulcers, but you might rule out other common (and inexpensive to treat) things first.



Similar Threads

  1. Horse gaining weight for no reason
    By sschuessler in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Oct. 5, 2012, 08:08 AM
  2. Anyone ever have success gaining ownership...
    By BHKB21077 in forum Off Course
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: Nov. 12, 2011, 09:33 AM
  3. Not Gaining Weight, ?'s For Vet - UPDATE!
    By Mosey_2003 in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: Sep. 16, 2010, 12:33 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: Jan. 18, 2010, 08:23 PM
  5. Not gaining weight
    By scrbear11 in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Nov. 22, 2009, 05:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •