The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

Default Newer Horseware or Dover turnouts and neck rugs?

How do these attach? How well do they stay put?

I'd like to get a no-fill neck rug for my body clipped mare, but I've never used them before and would like to know more about how they attach and fit before buying. Thanks.
    Last edited by onelanerode; Dec. 8, 2009 at 03:48 PM. Reason: clarity
    Full-time bargain hunter.

I have my field boarded mare in a Rambo Supreme Light for the first time this winter -- The velcro attachmet for the neck seems very secure, and it hasn't come undone even a little bit -- It's a neat design -- There's velcro along the outside of the neck openning on the blanket -- There's also velcro covered with webbing that folds back over the neck openning velcro, so the velcro would stay clean if you removed the hood --

My mare hasn't gotten any rubs (surprising to me because the original Rambos rubbed her shoulders) --

Check out the Horsewear web site -- They have a catalog that shows all of their blankets -- You can't really see the details of the neck on the Rambo Supreme, but there's a picture of one of their California blankets without the hood attached, and that appears to use the same design --
    "I never mind if an adult uses safety stirrups." GM

I have the California right now and am going to get the Supreme Lite.
    The velcro holds great, will not come off if horse is grazing or sleeps prone.

I've used velcro neck rugs since 2005 and never has one come loose on a Rambo or on a Weatherbeeta Taka. And my horses were boarded in woods and brush and fallen trees and with really mean and nasty horses, so the neck rugs, unlike fly masks, never came off.

Get a neck rug. It really does keep rain off of the shoulders.

I have a Rhino meium weight turnout with neck cover (along with some wugs and other Horseware sheets & blankets). It attaches with two big pieces of velcro on either side of the withers and under the neck (dab's description is better). I got it last year and the velcro is tight - it doesn't come undone unless you undo it. That is, of course, assuming it is sewn on propperly! The velco came off the neck shortly after I got it, but Horseware took care of it right away and it's jam-up now

I love that blanket! Being able to remove the neck cover makes it very useful. I'd buy another one or a sheet like it in a heartbeat.
    Y'all ain't right!

Quote Originally Posted by onelanerode View Post
    How do these attach? How well do they stay put?

I'd like to get a no-fill neck rug for my body clipped mare, but I've never used them before and would like to know more about how they attach and fit before buying. Thanks.
    So are you trying to match a neck rug to a blanket that you already have? If so, it might be easiest to tell us what you are trying to match, since they can vary so much. I have Horseware blankets (Rambo Duo, Rambo CA, and Rhino Plus) that attach with a single BIG piece of velcro on each side of the neck rug that is sandwiched in velcro on the blanket -- could interchange among them, but haven't seen other brands that had this same attachment. Then I also have other Horseware blankets (Rambo XL, Rhino Reg-Cut, Amigo Reg-Cut) that have 4 large rectangular d-rings on the blanket (2 on each side) and the neck rug has velcro that loops through to connect. The last dover ones I've had (some time ago) had smaller d-rings on the blanket and you attached longer, narrower velcro straps on the neck rug to the d-rings. They might have changed since then, though, as that was a while ago.

I love the Horseware neck covers... and despise the Dover ones.. I just think they are a pain... I spent all last winter with half the horses in Rambo's and half in Dover blankets. I am so glad I have Rambo's ....

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

Well, there's no way to attach a hood to her Rambo original medium weight, and Dover doesn't sell a no-fill hood for the Northwind sheet. (I was assured that the Rider's International Supreme hood worked with the Northwind sheet, but I wasn't impressed with the way it attached ... it didn't seem like it would be nearly as secure as the Rhino hood/sheet I looked at.)

My other turnouts are high-neck, so I can't attach a hood to either of those. (So wishing now that I'd just passed on the Rhino Wug lite and gotten her the sheet/hood! Argh! )

I'm going to order the Rhino sheet and no-fill hood. I read somewhere that the new '09 Rhino original turnout (not the Wug) works with the liner system ... that would be fantastic.

I'm more concerned about keeping her as dry as possible at this point ... keeping her warm hasn't been as much of an issue. Getting the sheet and hood will keep her dry when it's warmer, and if this sheet does work with the liner system, I can get her a liner for the few really cold nights we have, which should give me enough options to keep her comfortable.

Thanks everyone!
    Full-time bargain hunter.

If you are able to sew, or know someone who can, you could attach those same square d-rings to your older Rambo blanket and then just get a hood to attach to that (or use the one that it sounds like you are ordering). I've done that to a couple of mine and it worked well -- I just got a pack of the d-rings off ebay to do the same for one of my older Rambos that I want to have as a spare.