The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Mice mice everywhere!

Now it is getting chilly and all the little field mice and other sorts of mice are moving inside - into my sheds and my tack cabinet (which is in the small barn/large shed). I'm bringing my saddles inside the house as I don't need them eaten, but I don't really want the house full of saddles.

Aside from a barn cat or mice traps (which I do have now), anything else I can do to encourage the little beasties to move on?
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Little buggers have moved into my car...

it's now very, very tidy and food-free in there, which seems to be helping.

In my house, too! The dogs are 'hunting' them

Search for the VICTOR mouse sheets - instructions say to fold into triangle but I leave them flat - my record is 7 mice on one sheet - best thing ever.

PLease don't use glue sheets. That is torture. Think about it.

Use something that will kill them humanely.

Prevention is key. keep All food in rodent proof containers whether in the house or the barn.

I use a live trap to get my mice. Then turn them loose in the field, where my rat terrier humanely kills them. Humane is sort of a subjective word in our world.

Mice here live outside and somehow a few get into the attic in the fall and winter and fall into the house walls and die there.

About one every week or two, but I think this time I am smelling two dead ones at once.

I have poison in the attic, the dog can't get up there, but I can't do anything in the barn.
    There is nothing anywhere for them to eat, other than hay in the barn.

I think that mice are part of a way of life in the country.

You guys wanna borrow Peanut?

She's my beagle. She likes to hunt rabbits and mice. She got 3 yesterday (mice)

If you wanna borrow Peanut, here are her rules.

1) She doesn't get out of bed until 10am. She will get up to go pee when I get up to feed, but then heads back to bed unless....

2) Scenting conditions are right. If it's a good hunting today she will cast herself and hunt rabbit.

3) When you get up to feed, put boots on just in case Peanut decides it's a good hunting day.

4) It's Peanut's world, and you are in it. Her world, her rules. Don't embarrass Peanut by chasing rabbits in your flannel granny nightgown and filthy dairy boots.

5) If rabbits are unavailable, Peanut may decide to hunt mice. Therefore, humans will stay out of the way and just open the doors in the barn. Peanut knows her job.

6) Peanut does require you make silly encouraging sounds, including whistling, to get her excited about hunting mice. Once she catches a mouse praise and cheer her or she'll decide to drop the darn thing into an empty shoe in the mudroom. If you are wearing your granny nightgown and filthy dairy boots, and you are cheering and whistling and chasing mice with a beagle, you'll look like a lunatic. Trust me.

7) Remember to tuck Peanut into bed at night. And check your shoes before putting them on. Just in case.

If you have no beagle, and cannot borrow Peanut - she get good old fashioned mouse traps.

Now I want to meet Peanut. Or get my own Beagle..

We had a mouse (or more) in the truck, too. Truck is cleaned out, we set traps in the truck and caught nothing. Either the mouse is smart or has moved on.

I don't think I've ever seen so many mice. If they get in the house, we have a house cat who is a great mouser and another one who isn't bad. But no outside cats.. and even with keeping the barn area clean, they're everywhere. They built nests everywhere!

At our last house, there was a huge feral cat problem - then again, they weren't so much of a problem as they kept us relatively mouse-free.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Jenn-the mice will eat the wiring in your car! They probably didn't leave, just relocated a little. They have a new mousetrap that is a big plastic thing, after it kills the mouse you toss the trap and no more smashed fingers from setting the spring traps. Don't buy mouse sized spring traps but get the rat size, and the best bait is raw bacon. And place the traps around the edge of the room-they seem to like running there.
    Last edited by JanM; Dec. 9, 2009 at 08:44 PM.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    And place the traps around the edge of the room-they seem to like running there.
    I believe that is because their eyesight is very poor, they stay along the edge of the walls where they can feel the wall.

We had a mouse problem last year, we do not have any barn cats or dogs and unfortunately we do not like killing anything and thought we only had one. Ha! Well, we did not have nearly as many as everyone thought we might have, when DH finally gave up and put the snap traps out, we caught maybe 18 or so then very random after that. He baited them with peanut butter. I think it is a quicker demise than poison or sticky tape.

Northeast Ohio, where mud rules your world...

I tried poison but the smell of dead mouse in the wall was grossing us out. i tried new fangled trap but it didn't kill mouse, just smooshed it, Still alive waiting to be let go!

Went with the Victor snap traps- two in lounge, one in tack, one is small barn feed room.

We just caught number 21 yesterday. I bait with Peanut butter, freshening them every few days. I am now a master at setting them.

Fast, no dead bodies in the walls, and yes, back the trap bait side up against a wall. Mouse will cross over it even if they aren't stopping to eat.

I hate killing them but I know it is necessary to keep the barn mice-free, with regards to the wiring fire post. I feel horrible and if the occasionaly one is caught and is alive, I give the trap and mouse to my stall girl who takes care of it while I run and cover my ears. I think she whacks their heads on the wall to kill them quickly, faster than drowning.

Ugh. Hate mice. They burned my grandmother's house down. We kept having waves of them get in, would get them beaten back, and then there would be more.

And then a few months ago, a fire started in the attic (no doubt in my mind - they chewed the wires and we missed it, it was in one corner where the roof came down; too tight to get in there to check the wiring)

HATE mice.

Thankfully no one was in the house at the time of the fire. Not even critters, unless you count mice. But the beautiful antique furniture was home alone and did not heed the fire alarm. And the insurance company fully depreciates furniture at 7 years. We are all sick about it.

I would advise declaring all out war on them. Don't just use one kind of trap, go for a variety of methods. They might be smart enough to stay out of one type of trap but won't be smart enough to avoid all of them.

The mouse population seems to have exploded around the place this fall. Had a couple get into the house and the spring traps took care of them...plus, keeping the dogs in the garage at night seems to be working with keeping them from gaining entry in the first place. The barn is where the vermin have really taken over, have caught a small rat, but mostly field mice - 7 in a two-day period. I HATE setting those spring traps, though, they're so...unpredictable; however, glue traps just don't seem to work for me.

A couple of months ago, the DH was driving to work, only to look over and see a mouse sitting on the passenger door arm rest. He swiped at it, but it scooted under the seat. A short while later, it suddenly jumped on his shoulder and scurried down his leg...while he was on interstate. Being startled AND mad, he pulled over, but couldn't find it. Meanwhile, a neighbor sees him, pulls over, and asks if he's okay. He had to admit to the mouse occupation...the neighbor was quite admused. Keep in mind, his work car is a 10-yr old Metro (clown car), which has seen better days.
    Is it me or do 99.9% of cowboys just look better with their hats on?
    <><

My two barn cats keep the mice population down to nothing. They've moved on to rabbits and voles.

Yeah, cats are the best and easiest to use overall.

Moth balls, that's right, they hate moth balls. So you can use those inside of enclosed areas. Like I pack my winter blankets away into big Rubbermaid tubs and add a bag with some mothballs inside of it, just opened up enough for the scent to distribute around. This ought to work for a tack cupboard.

chicamuxen

mothballs help, and so does peppermint oil, or mint plants.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Taking a break from cleaning and setting traps. I have never had mice in our home. Barn, yep, garage, sure, but I am finding droppings in my kitchen and dining room. And what fries me is that I had hidden a factory wrapped Hershey Chocolate Bar for me, just me, and those things found it, nibbled it and pooped all over my china. Ewww. Now it is war. Stay away from my hidden stash of chocolate.........

Default When it turns cold....

that's when they find refuge in houses, sheds, barns etc. It's why we are all experiencing such a problem now (weather turned cold)

We unfortunatly "invited" mice into the home by not properly storing our dog food in the pantry. I've since made the dog food "mouse proof" and have sealed any "way in" with steel wool....

but I LOVE the moth ball idea!!!! I'm going to put a bunch of moth balls in the pantry and see if that helps.

I HATE seeing mouse poo in a kitchen cabinet (where there is no food, no less!!??) ICK!

We used spring traps in our tack shed last year. It's gross. I don't want to have to do that in the house. Hoping the moth ball trick works
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

Well, now its time to mouse proof your food in the cabinets. Metal is about the only way, that or glass.

We've fought them for years. This year, we have Beaste. Beaste is a true hunter. Birds come to the window, and does he go up to the window and chatter at them as so many cats do? No. He is silent. he slowly turns towards the birds and simply watches, that "sight lock" of a hunter. ONly thing moves is his eyes dilate.

Beaste will fight anything he sees. He has been stalking a Fisher cat, which is a bad bad thing, and we try not to let him out at night, but he is driven to find it again and kill it. It has punctured him repeatedly, and he has been at the vet and had stitches and abscesses drained from Fisher Cat fangs, but still he craves hunting for it.

And he is all over the mice. I am told just having a cat around drives them out. For us, it drives them to the basement and to the attic.

Tonight, Beaste will be let up into the attic to play for the first time.

Go, Beaste, go. Heh heh heh.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.