The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Can I hold them responsible?

Right now my neighbor's little miniature horse (stallion) is in my yard. My boys told me something was in the yard chasing the chickens. Well, it was this pony running by and the chickens were running out of the way.

My mare is dominant. He was rearing and kicking against the fence and she was charging it. Between them they bent the chain link gate. Fortunately, I have it tied because one of them has figured out how to open it. If it had opened, all h*ll would have broken out.

Either way, the gate was bent bad enough it will not hold up to stress and will need to be replaced. My mare being bigger, caused the bulk of it but if he hadn't been loose, it wouldn't have happened. Can I reasonably ask them to pay for it?

We don't really have a good relationship. Their dog is often loose and has been over here barking at me and has stood in the road barking at my son when he was simply trying to come home. After talking with them about it several times, I called the sheriff's department after the dog came into my yard and barked at me while I was messing with my truck.

Well, SD came and went next door. Someone was home and came got the pony. She was young, late teens or early 20s. Appoligized. I did mention that due to him fighting with my horse through the fence, my gate was damaged. She didn't say anything about that but maybe she will pass it on to her parents or whoever they are to her.

I would certainly ask them, but don't expect it to happen. If they cannot keep their dog contained, they likely aren't going to think anything of your gate being damaged either.

This won't help in terms of liability this time, but where is their stallion kept? I believe that in Texas is it illegal to have a stallion on your property with just a perimeter fence so legally the little guy would have had to come through two fences to get to your place or they are breaking the law. It might be worth pointing out to them if they are not in compliance.

They keep the little guy on a long rope or something. It's really long, easily 50 feet. There is no fence in the area he is tied. When he gets loose, he's loose to take off. Most of the time he goes to visit their horse who is fenced in but it's barbed wire or strand wire and he comes and goes at will from it.

I did tell the officer who came that he was a stallion and he was kept tied. He didn't seem too concerned about either. He seemed pretty happy somene was home and he didn't have to figure out what to do with him.

They also have a goat that is tied up.

Quote Originally Posted by lindsay_aggie View Post
    This won't help in terms of liability this time, but where is their stallion kept? I believe that in Texas is it illegal to have a stallion on your property with just a perimeter fence so legally the little guy would have had to come through two fences to get to your place or they are breaking the law. It might be worth pointing out to them if they are not in compliance.
    Do you know where in the law that supposedly is? I've been searching Texas laws and found nothing on stallion fencing.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljenn View Post
    Do you know where in the law that supposedly is? I've been searching Texas laws and found nothing on stallion fencing.
    You know, I will have to look around. It is just something that I have always heard and taken as fact. I could be wrong.

I have also not heard about that two fences for a stallion.

I think you will have to replace the gate on your penny.
    Happens when you have those kinds of neighbors.

Check your local ordinances.

When I lived in TX and the neighbor across the street w/ a stallion was an idiot and never could keep him in, he got out, jumped OUR fence, bred my mare and I had to have her aborted.

the statute in my county was such that they WERE liable. And I dang near took them to small claims. They ended up paying for damage to the fence and for the vet call for my mare.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

CowgirlJenn would know the fence part since she used to live here. I only added that this was a stallion for information and as an explanation of why he would fight with my mare. It would almost be funny to watch him try to breed one of the mares. My little one is 14.2 and the other is 15 hands and he is LITTLE. I'm 5'3" and he doesn't even come to my hip.

If I thought they were really trying to keep thier animals contained, I wouldn't care. Everyone has things happen now and again. I think the only thing that hasn't gotten loose and come here is the horse. Their goat has been here, the dog has been here, this is the second time the pony has been here but he has been loose several times before. He was loose a couple days ago but there is a drainage ditch between the two properties so he just ran up and down beside it. Today he must have somehow found to go out to the road and around.

I don't know why they have animals. The goat and pony are tied out and I very rarely see anyone do anything with them. The horse at least has a fenced area but same thing, someone tosses her hay once or twice a day but I rarely see anyone do anything with her. I think they get them for their little girl and she gets bored with them so they get her something else.

Some people love the IDEA of having some animals around, but then don't know what to do with them and just take care of them haphazardly.

As long as they are not mistreating them, or bothering others...
    Looks like they are and then, well, if you can't get the neighbors to take better care to confine, again...

Teeny little stallions breed large mares.

When she's in heat, she'll do what's necessary to help. This time of year, THAT shouldn't be a problem, but if he gets out in the spring, look for a foal.

Bluey, their animals look to be in good condition. Their place is nice, they seem like nice people when I talk to them, if clueless, but they make no effort to change anything. The horse and pony have both arrived in the last year. The dog was in there somewhere too. That last one passed away. Not run over or shot. It looked like she had a tumor. She was also left to roam but was super sweet so no one said anything about that.

Apco, If studly getting loose gets to be a problem, I have a secure area he can't get into. Once that gate is replaced. They'll also be seeing the sheriff's deputy (they handle animal control out here) more often.

I guess we'll be getting the gate on our dime.

Thanks for all the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by dacasodivine View Post
    CowgirlJenn would know the fence part since she used to live here.
    I tried to find something on fence laws in Texas for stallions and couldn't. I kept my stallion in Alvin with a single fence and do the same now. (I have a hot wire fence line between him and the pasture with my mare, but that's an internal fence for me).

Owning a stallion is a PITA. I don't recommend it. Mine is nice, quiet, has been around kids (I won't let them ride him on principle). He's my favorite horse in the world to ride. I really, really LOVE this horse. He's a stallion because I inherited him, toyed with the idea of breeding him once (he's very well bred and has a nice show record). By the time I decided that was stupid on my part, he was older and gelding would be harder on him.

I do, however, know that if someone buys the land next to us, moves in with mares, etc., then I'll be the one having to move where my boy is kept. Even though we were here first. PITA.

And I do know Brazoria County has no regulation against having a horse tied (as opposed to fenced in). If he gets lose again, I would call the sheriff's department and keep at it each time he gets lose. Might encourage the owners to keep him up...

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

There is a difference between state statutes and municipal ordinances.
    Maybe check the ordinances within your individual county or municipality.
    If they have a website it should be there.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Quote Originally Posted by Jaegermonster View Post
    There is a difference between state statutes and municipal ordinances.
    Maybe check the ordinances within your individual county or municipality.
    If they have a website it should be there.
    In my case, no, there are no municipal or county codes that apply. Fortunately, we live in a very rural county that doesn't over-regulate!

For the OP, she has no county codes that are going to protect her (I lived there before and did my research).

I asked about state laws as one of the posters said she believed there were laws in Texas governing stallion-keeping.

Put up electric, along the top of the common fence and then an inside fence (at least 4 feet away, depending on whether your mare is a jumper) with several strands of tape. Will work wonders! I use push in poly posts with a solar charger. You shouldn't have to, but when you have stupid neighbors....

If he gets to be a problem, I'll just close my front gate. Pain in the behind since it's not auto but would keep him from getting to my horses. None of my horses are jumpers so that's not an issue.

I wasn't concerned so much that he was a stallion but rather that because he got loose and tried to fight with my horse, damage was caused to a gate. She was charging the gate and he was rearing against it and would spin and kick it.

Kind of weird. She was boarded at a huge barn with easily 50 horses when I bought her. No problem getting along with the other horses. I took her to a barn with a dozen horses. Once again, she got along with all horses even new horses. I don't know if it's because she knows this is her place or what.