The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default RIP Catherston Dazzler

From Horse & Hound: Farewell to top sport horse sire Catherston Dazzler

His looks, breeding and performance record ensured that Dazzler was in demand as a stallion from early in his career and it soon became apparent that his stock had an aptitude for eventing. By 1992 the eight-year-old stallion had already won a trophy for the highest number of progeny in the potential competition horse championships.

By 2000 Catherston Dazzler was the leading British event sire and ranked sixth in the world, according to the World Breeding Federation Sport Horse rankings. He was also the youngest stallion in the rankings and had the most progeny competing internationally.

One of the first specific event horse sires, Catherston Dazzler sired many event horses that were successful at the highest level. In America Broadstone Harvest Moon and Hyde Park Corner were three-day event winners, while back in the UK Midnight Dazzler, Faerie Dazzler and Dazzling Effects were among those making their mark in British three-day events. His progeny went on to compete at the Sydney Olympics, as well as Badminton and Burghley. Last year, Midnight Dazzler completed his fifth Badminton at the age of 19.
    And those are just his breeding accomplishments. He competed at GP dressage until he was 19 and won several national championships.

video of Catherston Dazzler

his son Midnight Dazzler at Badminton

his daughter Dekorum at the Maryland HT

What a great loss. I can remember Catherston Stud back to when I was a small child, and that's a very long time ago.

I remember watching him at a couple of big competitions that the yard I worked at put on way back in the 1990s. All of the Catherston horses were lovely, but the yard owned at least one of his offspring so he got extra attention from all of us when he was in the ring.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Darn! Master Imp and Catherston Dazzler within a couple of months of each other. Master Imp has left several sons to carry on the Hugh Lupus line, but is there a CD son of his quality out there?

It would be a shame if his blood was not carried on through the male line.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Master Imp has left several sons to carry on the Hugh Lupus line, but is there a CD son of his quality out there?

It would be a shame if his blood was not carried on through the male line.
    I don't know of any stallion sons but the blood is out there in various forms.

Catherston Dazzler had two stallion half-brothers. Yarlands Summersong was out of the same mare (Welton Gazelle) and Dutch Gold was by the same stallion (Dutch Courage).

Catherston Dazzler also has a full sister, Catherston Dutch Sika, who had many foals, including the dam of stallion Catherston Liberator. Catherston Dutch Sika produced foals for Catherston from outside stallions while Dazzler stood to outside mares.

Looks like EMCO has 9 doses left of his semen.... Get it while you can.

How sad

Quote Originally Posted by JWB View Post
    Yep, I saw that a couple of months ago. If I sell one of my babies I'm buying some to store! He would soooooo be a good cross for the mare I'm riding. Just don't tell "mr toadie's mom". I'm not supposed to be breeding anymore
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Quote Originally Posted by JWB View Post
    The website's been updated -- there's only 5 doses left.

(And 7 from Fleetwater Opposition.)

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    The website's been updated -- there's only 5 doses left.
    I got mine - apparently just in time.
    Sad about CD....