The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Having surgery in less than two weeks~ how long before resuming horse activities?

After years of suffering with back and shoulder pain, I am finally having breast reduction surgery the week of Christmas. It's a hereditary thing, my mom's been reduced twice. I am still the same size as I was when I was 5 weeks pregnant last year, 34G. I have lost all of my baby weight, plus a little extra. Before that, I was a DDD. I'm going down to a small C, and think this will be a suitable size for me. When I rode at Dixie Stampede as a rider/performer, I had to wear two sports bras under my costumes just to keep the girls contained. They've been living rent-free for years, so they're getting evicted, LOL!

I am looking forward to having it done, and the doctor does a new technique where there will only be one cut going up from the bottom of each breast, rather than underneath. It will be better cosmetically as well as a quicker recovery time.

Has anyone here had the same or similar surgery done? How long was it post-op before you were able to resume normal horse activities? (IE: lifting feed bags, cleaning stalls, and of course, riding) What did you find most uncomfortable about it? Any regrets? Has your riding improved and can you tell a difference in back/shoulder/neck problems such as pinched nerves, tightness, migraines? Any input would be great, thanks in advance!
    Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
    Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

Its called a lollipop incision ....I did not ride for about 8 weeks, and even then I had a small ache every time I posted the trot. Be very careful about lifting heavy objects. My surgeon said my breasts would be reactive for about a year . That was true. Every case is different by that was my experience and I have been so glad I got this surgery done...Just follow your surgeons instructions and you will be fine....and ready for spring riding

I have a few friends who have had this and they were very creaky for about two months, and were very happy with the medical benefits after they healed. Definitely listen to exactly what your surgeon tells you, and don't risk hurting yourself. And once you've stabilized definitely get great fitting regular and sports bras so you stay comfortable. All three of my friends reported improvements in physical discomfort like back and neck pain almost immediately.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I had a reduction in 2003. The "do not lift, pull, tug, push, carry" anything over 5 pounds is for your benefit. You do not want scar tissue. Scar tissue means another surgery to remove the scar tissue.
    It was 8 weeks before I started riding. And was very careful when I did start riding again, sitting trot was painful to start but did get better.

Be patient with your healing. Be obedient in not lifting. Be gracious in receiving the gift of letting others do things for you.

Thanks for the advice. I intend to stockpile hay & feed next week so there will be minimal lifting while I am "out of service". What little that will have to be done at the barn can be done by my husband under my supervision. I guess the toughest part will be not being able to pick up my toddler.
    In the long run, I know my decision will be worth the discomfort. I'm glad I was able to accomplish my goals with my filly this summer & fall as I had planned. My intention was to give her the winter off to mature and start back in the spring as a 3 year old, so that will work out nicely.
    What's going to be fun is shopping for a new hunt coat! No more buying size 18's to accomodate my boobs and having the rest of it tailored way down.

good for you!!!!!! if you need anything with the wee boy or horse give a holler, I'm around now and happy to give you a hand if you need it... BTW Happy Belated Birthday Daniel!!!!! I can't believe it's been a year already.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Thanks, Catersun! How's your littlest doing? He should be hitting the one year mark too!

Sincere apologies in advance for the TMI-ness of this, but if you ever get adhesions on scar tissue, many times a mammogram can, ah, fix that. Just sayin'.

Cor! I never thought of that! But durn if it wouldn't be true, that horrible procedure should be good for something.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntJumpSC View Post
    Thanks, Catersun! How's your littlest doing? He should be hitting the one year mark too!
    Tomorrow infact! He is very well.. running around the house keeping up with his sister.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

I've only had an "incidental" boob job (BC surgery), but, based on that, I will strongly encourage you to follow guidelines about activity to prevent scar tissue. Tissue that is looser and prone to stretching is also prone to forming ugly scars, so take it easy! I had several small surgeries, and I can tell from the scars exactly which I was careful with and which I was more cavalier.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.