The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tail bag - for a too-long, too-thick tail!

OK, that's it, I can't stand it any more. Either Quattro is going to become the first banged-tail Saddlebred since... well I don't know when, the War of Nawth'n Aggression maybe... OR I've got to break down and get him a tail bag!! Between the mud and the burrs it takes me *hours* to pick it out (doesn't help that he rolls 15 times a day *in* the burrs - or at least I guess he does; he comes in covered with them nose thru tail). God preserve me if I skip picking his tail a couple of days; then he looks like the "before" pic of a neglected rescue horse, with a chunk of tangled up burrs and tail! Clearly this won't do...

I've never used a tail bag before, so can our resident experts enlighten me as to what would be the optimum tail bag for a tail that really is already too long and too thick? I keep looking at the triple-tube ones but I don't see how I could cram all that tail in there...

Edumacate me please - much appreciated! Thanks!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

I'm no tail bag expert, but have you tried loading him up with a silicone detangler (ie, Vetrolin Detangler)? Once the tail is nicely coated with that, burrs just slide right out without any effort.

I've made and sold tail bags for years and have made many that are extra wide for exactly the type of tail you describe.

They aren't all that difficult to make. If you sew at all, you'd be fine. Otherwise, try to find someone who makes them and just request a few added inches.

I'd stick with the single tube type tail bag, but I prefer them myself anyways in general.

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    I'm no tail bag expert, but have you tried loading him up with a silicone detangler (ie, Vetrolin Detangler)? Once the tail is nicely coated with that, burrs just slide right out without any effort.
    Well, they do, provided that he hasn't also ground his tail into the mud and clay... My estimate is I'm going thru half a tube of the stuff every time I pick it! I tried braiding it a couple of times; that doesn't work b/c then the caked-in mud inside the braid doesn't dry... Blech. He needs a bag fo'sho'!!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Why not just bang it to his hocks? I do mine every fall and by spring they've grown back out. In the meantime, no nasty wet tails slapping on lower legs, etc. etc. etc...
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

A lycra single tube bag should work, unless he is out when it is wet and muddy. In that case the bag will get wet and the braid will be soaked and it takes a while for it to dry completely. I would try braiding it, and pulling it up and wrapping it in vet wrap or sealtex. That way it is up and out of the way and has less chance of being soaked through.

EqT - Tempting; I nearly did it tonight. Problem is, if he does any rated shows at all next year it'll be at the ASB shows ("hunter hack" type stuff) & not in the actual H/J ring... and them ASB peeps, their mamas done told 'em nothin' 'bout no banged tails!

Mypaintwattie, darn, I didn't think about the bag getting wet; good point. You're right, I may indeed have to resort to the old Vetwrap trick. I wonder how that would be about repelling burrs though?

Get one of the lycra braid in tail bags. When I had a quarter horse, I did that with her and she grew a great breed show-ish tail. It would be a shame to cut his tail! At Washington this year, the horse I was grooming for the exhibition was stabled next to a saddlebred (who was stunning by the way, and seemed upset no one was cheering for her except her groom and trainer's wife haha) and we were both putting our fake tails in at the same time. He said the long tails they use cost 2500 bucks!!! So, grow it out very very long and if it is still too thick, then cut it and sell the thing!!
    -Grace

What about using a rake to thin and shorten his tail? They really work great (they are a staple in the draft horse show world for manes/tails that are out of control) they and cost under $20.

http://www.bigblackhorse.com/HorseTackDecorations.shtml
    (go to the bottom of the page)
    Photo:
    http://www.bigblackhorse.com/HorseTackDecorations.shtml
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    Mypaintwattie, darn, I didn't think about the bag getting wet; good point. You're right, I may indeed have to resort to the old Vetwrap trick. I wonder how that would be about repelling burrs though?
    I would think that vetwrap would repel burrs better than a lycra bag. I like the lycra bags but my horse is in a stall so no burrs to worry about.

For our grey mare that finds burrs when no one else can, we use a men's large white tube sock - the cheap ones that come in a bag of 12. We cut slits in the top to make ties, braid her tail & stuff it in the sock, then knot the ties through the top of the braid. Yes, she has a lot of tail stuffed in there- but when the sock gets wet, muddy, or burr covered we just throw it away and use a new one.
    ~ A true friend knows all there is to know about you and still likes you. -E. Hubbard

My gelding has a extremly long, thick tail also. I actually had to cut off an inch or so to keep it off the ground. I had tried to just braid it, fold it up and vet wrap it but it's too heavy and within a week, his tail would fall back out of it. So I know have to do 2 seperate braids, fold it up and vet wrap it now. He looks a bit funny with 2 "hangers" but it's still better than having to keep redoing it every week.
    R.I.P Vanny 26 yr QH Stallion 4/11/82 - 5/8/08, Scout 28 yr Paint Cross Gelding, Glistening 11 yr Arab/Saddlebred Mare

Save yourself money and get some tube socks.
    Proud owner of a Mary Poppins horse - "Practically Perfect In Every Way"!

Just bang it. Not all of those Saddlebred Peeps know what's good for them.

Or, go to Wally-world and buy the thickest heaviest (slickest) nylons you can find. Pretty much like lycra. Tube socks will hold more mud and moisture.
    People are crazy and times are strange.
    I used to care but, things have changed.

Default How do they attach?

I've thought about a tail bag for two horses. One to keep the tail from staining and the other to help a tail grow more full. But I've never seen one on a horse. How do they attach? What keeps them from falling down? I've seen some online that clip to a sheet, but I would want to use it year round. Unless it is cruel to put the tail in a bag during fly season.

First you have to braid the tail, then tie the tail bag through the top of the braid.

I leave mine down in the summer for fly swishing, but there are some with built in swishers, or you can apply a twine swisher yourself.
    People are crazy and times are strange.
    I used to care but, things have changed.

Please be really careful with Vetwrap on tails!! When it gets wet it tightens down and can cut off the circulation - I've seen tails that had to be amputated because of that.......

If you put it on the tail make sure it's below where the tailbone ends - then you should be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    First you have to braid the tail, then tie the tail bag through the top of the braid.

I leave mine down in the summer for fly swishing, but there are some with built in swishers, or you can apply a twine swisher yourself.
    Thanks. One of the problems we have is the tail is thin at the top with lots of short hairs which of course makes the bottom thin. I suspect that one of his pasture mates who is a cribber likes to "play" with his tail. So I'm concerned that additional braiding will do more damage than good.

I've found online a product that wraps around the top of the tail only. It seems like it might solve our problem but I'm concerned about how tightly to secure it. It has velcro straps.

When I worked at a Gypsy Farm we would put all the the stallions tails in cast tubes and then braid them.The BO was also owner of a physical therapy office so we would get the tubing for kids arms (thinnest, they stretch alot) and get them in 20 yd long rolls. They are pretty cheap and they work like tube socks but better! We would tie the braids in knots. Believe me these horses tails would drag 2 feeton the ground if we didnt tie them up!! Their tails got changed 2-4X a week depending on how dirty they got. We would cringe when their tails would unravel during the night and they would step on them and rip chunks out... eeek

This is Collin, he had the tail that would drag 16" on the ground.(he also had the mane that touched the ground when un braided). Don't mind the dirt they are impossible to keep clean and god forbid we shave them and loose a hair of their feathers/tail/mane. We would leave all the short hairs out in the tails especially in the summer, so he could swat flies.. i feel bad for the flies have that wad of hair come wackin down at you. (yes I've gotten hit many times!!..it hurts!)

http://www.facebook.com/#/photo.php?...30&id=71400422

Sorta near the Devon Horse Show grounds...

PLENTY of American Saddlebreds with banged tails here. For years.

Every Winter, we do the ASB thing- wash tails, pick them out, braid them up with yarn, or flannel, and wrap them in a Vetrap, or equal. No problem.

Very simple. They are ASBs every Winter, and fooling the world, the rest of the year...
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
    www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
    http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/