Default ? re: Tomorrow med. for thrush

I read another thread recently where posters had really good luck in treating thrush with the Tomorrow bovine mastitis med. Seems people did not have the same good report about Today. I don't own bovines so have never heard of these cos. or meds.

I looked for it at Tractor Supply and all I found was the US Vet brand of bovine mastitis med. The box contains 12 syringes of 100,000 units (10 ml) penicillin each. Is this comparable to the Tomorrow brand you were talking about?

It was only $14.95 for the box of 12. Am I on the right track?

Yip
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

"Tomorrow" is cephapirin benzathine, 300mg

so no, it doesn't sound like you got the right meds.

I don't know about bovine mastitis med but, just in case you can't find what you're looking for, I've had the best luck with using plain old Lime (that you mark football fields with) for thrush. I cleaned out the hoof twice a day and used a handful on the hoof and packed with my hand. Of course, it won't stay in there but while it's there, something grand happens and after a while, things are fine. Plus, it's really inexpensive. My shoer told me about this.

The Tomorrow completely cleared some nasty thrush out of a horse we had rescued with one application. Great stuff! You can also stick in puncture wounds if you can't get the vet out.

Even though Tomorrow and US Vet are two different chemicals, they both do a bang up job on thrush. I prefer Tomorrow to the US Vet topical penicillin (dry cow) but have used both with success.

Thank you! At least I know it's safe to use, even though a different med. I'll try it. It can't hurt.

I wish I had known about lime before. I have a bag that I use in the corral on the wet spots. I'll remember that - thank you!
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

What you got is exactly the stuff my farrier recommended to me for thrush. I use the US Vet Go-Dry with penicillin. I have had great results with it, yet when I used one of the Cephi based ones, it didn't even touch the thrush.

I would give that a try since you already bought it, because I now swear by that kind.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

Tractor Supply carries the Tomorrow but you have to order it. At least that is what I would have had to do at mine. Would have taken a week to come in. Having hard time finding it. But it is working. With my mare it takes longer to heal than the average horse.

The one mare foundered 5.5 years ago and you'd never know it, but it left compromised circulation. Thrush is always present, ex. in the drought of summer. It's not terrible & rotting her foot away, but I sure would like to get rid of it if possible.

Thanks for all your help! I'm going to assume it's going to work.

Yip

Quote Originally Posted by Yip View Post
    I looked for it at Tractor Supply and all I found was the US Vet brand of bovine mastitis med. The box contains 12 syringes of 100,000 units (10 ml) penicillin each. Is this comparable to the Tomorrow brand you were talking about?
    I've used it and had very good results with it.
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website