The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default suggestions for stone bruise

My girl got a bit out of hand on a trail ride 2 days ago and we ended up in a rocky area. It was several minutes before I could get to a safe place to pick her feet out and they were full. She hobbled home and is quite sore. I have been soaking them in epsom salts daily and buting. Any othere suggestions to speed recovery?
    Do not toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

Ah, poor girl! Is she still sore, even with the bute? Maybe try 'hoof packing' - you can buy it in a box, and you mix it with water to the consistency of dough, pack it in her hooves overnight. It falls out by itself by morning. It seems to provide some relief. Or you've now got an abscess brewing and will just have to wait it out.

I love "Magic Cushion." Sounds like you're doing the best for her. "Tincture of time" is usually what it takes.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

'Sugardine' seems to work very well, have had two cases where they went from crippled to were pretty well sound after a day's rest and this treatment. My boys are pansies when it comes to pain, so expect that the three legged lame they exhibited wasn't really a good indicator of the bruise. Most likely wasn't *that* bad.

Mix regular white sugar with betadine until you have a paste, not too gloopy, think thick oatmeal.

After soaking in epsom salts, dry the hoof, smear the paste on the sole, cover with cotton swabbing. Make a 'bootie' over this with vet wrap, make certain not to go up over the coronet band of the hoof. I also covered it with duct tape.

Hope this helps :-)

Thanks all. The shoer happened to be there yesterday morning while I was setting up to wrap w/the sugardine. He put hoof testers on her and found that the left isn't to bad, but the right side has a fairly deep one. He recommended either shoes w/pads if I plan to ride anytime soon or boots. I went with the boots-figure I can use them when I trail ride as preventative even after this. We'll see!
    Do not toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

If it's really just a bruise, I wouldn't get and keep the foot wet.