The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse-y Christmas Gift Ideas?

(Sorry if this isn't the place to put this. New to this and all..yeah.)

Onto the story-- I have a friend that I've known for years and we're 'riding buddies'. We go to the same barn, ride in the same lesson, generally do everything together. Not to mention we are best friends outside the barn. But sadly, this is my last year living where I live now as my parents are getting a divorce && I'm following my mom up to a new home. It's rather far from where I live now, so I kind of want to get a present that will last along time && will be remembered.

This girl is my best friend, and I'm deeply in pain for leaving her. I already am thinking about getting a shirt that has a picture of a jumper on it, then editing a few pictures of her and her favorite lesson horses. But honestly, I don't know what else to get her beside that.

So, please. Can you give me any good ideas that aren't just things like buying her a horse video game? =/ I would deeply appreciate it! Thank you so much.

Oh, and the price range would be under $50. Thank you again!
    Last edited by BayRuth; Dec. 7, 2009 at 08:42 PM.

How about a personalized Tervis Tumbler with a horse graphic? (Perhaps with a message like: Riding Buddies: Friend 1 & Friend 2) They have a lifetime guarantee, people love them, and it could be a frequent reminder of your enduring friendship.

www.tervis.com

Best wishes on your move!
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

What about creating some kind of scrapbook? You could either do one by hand, or there are some really good online programs to make them too- my mom does them each year for Christmas. Then you could have a copy printed for her and one for you as well.
    Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
    If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

How about a picture of you guys and your horses in a frame or use one of those photo service to make something like a Christmas tree ornament?

Oh, those are great ideas! Thank you.

Smartpak carries a nice leather covered photo box that you can order with an engraved nameplate. The top holds a photo and slides off and you could put photos or other mementos in there. It's on clearance now and they have a free shipping code until 12/31! It's listed as $20.97. The engraving is extra I think....you could have your names put on it or "friends"....something like that. I'm going to attempt to put the link here, hope it works!
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...aspx?catid=542

How about putting together a calendar? Most photo shops that have the do-it-yourself photo kiosks provide this service. I did one last year for my broodmare partner. Got a different shot of our mares/foals for each month. This makes a really nice gift, and they are around $20.00!

I second a scrapbook! Or maybe a nice framed picture of you guys riding together? (:

Quote Originally Posted by Chenalie View Post
    I second a scrapbook! Or maybe a nice framed picture of you guys riding together? (:
    I love the idea of a scrapbook! I'm just not sure if I will have the artistic ability to pull it off. :P

^^ And that elegant picture box is beautiful. I really love how you can personalize it. Thank's everybody for the help. :]

How about one of those digital picture frames-where you download photos and it shows a slide show of pics? Target and Walmart have them for reasonable prices. We've given those for people, and they love them. On some of them, you can also add music.
    Life is great when you can hug a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by BayRuth View Post
    I love the idea of a scrapbook! I'm just not sure if I will have the artistic ability to pull it off. :P

^^ And that elegant picture box is beautiful. I really love how you can personalize it. Thank's everybody for the help. :]
    You don't have to be very artistic to pull of a photo album at all- especally if you do it on the computer! Shutterfly and kodak both have pretty good programs. I think the ones on Shutterfly are around $20-30 and they turn out great!
    Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
    If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

Another Photo idea. I have a friend who started a small company called Deco Pony that does Custom Stall Guards, Totes & purses with your Photos or Logos on them! They also have really nice designs of their own you can buy. It would be a very unique gift for the Rider who has everything. I think they do Gift certificates too… http://decopony.com on Facebook too.

This site has a lot of cute horse gifts. All of them are customizable too!
    http://thepaintingpony.com/pages/gifts/gifts.htm