The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Prize money - why some events and not others?

There was an ad up above earlier for the Pfizer $1 million Grand Prix at HITs -Saugerties. Which made me wonder, I've never been to a dressage show that had prize money, I don't think. But every Western event I've ever seen (even local/small events) has prize money, jackpots, or prizes like saddles. The only dressage prizes I recall friends winning were ribbons and maybe an embroidered cooler. But maybe I just didn't know about it.

Why do some disciplines/events have so much prize money, and others not so much? Just tradition?
    Last edited by twofatponies; Dec. 6, 2009 at 10:21 PM. Reason: fixed spelling

Dressage is one of the only disciplines any more that doesn't award prize money. Kind of annoying actually. I've filled most of my cupboard space in one season with glassware, but the bank account is still wanting.

I guess my related question would be, does the entry fee parallel the prize money or lack thereof? ie if you aren't getting any cash prize in a dressage event, is the entry fee much lower than an equivalent level jumper event with a $25,000 prize?

Plenty of dressage shows DO offer cash prizes, but plenty don't.ip.

Largely, prize money is ties=d to sponsorsh.

Jumper shows get sponsorship more easily than dressage shows.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Where the hell have you seen money prizes at dressage shows outside of big freestyle classes?

Quote Originally Posted by twofatponies View Post
    I guess my related question would be, does the entry fee parallel the prize money or lack thereof? ie if you aren't getting any cash prize in a dressage event, is the entry fee much lower than an equivalent level jumper event with a $25,000 prize?
    Yes, in general events with prize money, especially events on the middle-low end rather than international championships, have much larger entry fees. Sponsorship pays for some of the prize money. Really high end and heavily sponsored events, like the Rolex 4*, have very low entry fees. Your A/O stake class generally gets it all from entry fees.

My own personal preference is to have a lower cost to enter and no prize money, because it seems to me that (a) the people who win the prize money are the people who are doing OK for cash and (b) IMHO having people stretch and strain on entry fees because they are motivated by prize money doesn't tend to be good for the horses.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

First off...I hate Paul Revere bowls. I won more of those bloody things as a junior, all my friends dogs have very fancy food and water bowls. I was a boy, what did I want with a bowl?

Friends showed western, they won saddles, tack, big money and horse trailers! I'd ask em' if they'd like a nice dog bowl.

I think sponsorship is a lot of the problem and the range of people riding (age/sex/money). Most western seems to have a clock involved...winners actually win...vs. hunters/dressage etc. which all involve opinion vs. reality.

A lot of western classes CAN be won by a very talented horse. Many english classes...no way without a bunch of money. Western shows have a link to American history and culture, companies are willing to send their money to support the classes of people who ride their tack, buy their tack and trailers. Name an american dressage saddle maker? See Brenderup/Rice/Passier/etc. sponsoring a lot of shows here? Nope, but they sponsor shows in europe (where english riding is seen as a part of their cultural history).
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Maybe timed dressage events would be a start. LOL

Well, that's all more complicated than I figured. I was just shocked when our trainer proposed a winter "fun" show series (just for the dozen of us who ride at that barn regularly) with $5 or $10 per class entry fees and it all goes to a jackpot for prize money. Prize money????? I thought... All I've ever got is ribbons. But she's from a Western background and we're doing gymkhana type events, so makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by twofatponies View Post
    Maybe timed dressage events would be a start. LOL

Well, that's all more complicated than I figured. I was just shocked when our trainer proposed a winter "fun" show series (just for the dozen of us who ride at that barn regularly) with $5 or $10 per class entry fees and it all goes to a jackpot for prize money. Prize money????? I thought... All I've ever got is ribbons. But she's from a Western background and we're doing gymkhana type events, so makes sense.
    Just to give you an example, we have some very local gymkhanas. The kid classes are $6 to enter and are ribbons only; the adult classes are stakes and cost $25. Well, thing is, I'd love to take my pony just for the fun and experience of it, but I know for sure we won't be in the running for any prize. So, we take my daughter's pony and we leave mine at home.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

While sponsorship definitely accounts for a good portion of the prizes and money, a lot of the Western events seem to use a Jackpot format (similar to add-backs in the hunters). Being a former hunter rider turned reiner, I really appreciate the money instead of ribbons. In the reiners even the entry level green reiner classes often run as jackpot classes which is nice. The entry and judges fees do tend to get higher as more money is offered (when you move from jackpot to money added and as the money added increases). But I think that is to be expected. In the reiners, cutting horses, and reined cowhorse the associations also track earnings which allows you to evaluate performance horse pedigrees much like you would a TB race horse pedigree.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_jumpfl View Post
    While sponsorship definitely accounts for a good portion of the prizes and money, a lot of the Western events seem to use a Jackpot format (similar to add-backs in the hunters). Being a former hunter rider turned reiner, I really appreciate the money instead of ribbons. In the reiners even the entry level green reiner classes often run as jackpot classes which is nice. The entry and judges fees do tend to get higher as more money is offered (when you move from jackpot to money added and as the money added increases). But I think that is to be expected. In the reiners, cutting horses, and reined cowhorse the associations also track earnings which allows you to evaluate performance horse pedigrees much like you would a TB race horse pedigree.
    The way I see it, I come out better financially from two $6 classes and no prize money than from two $25 classes with prize money.

Yep, but when it's $25 classes and just a ribbon...that sucks.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    Yep, but when it's $25 classes and just a ribbon...that sucks.
    Well, those are for recognized shows, shows where they actually pay the judges and they have accreditation and probably a paid secretary. There's money that goes towards the facilities and maintenance. If those classes were to have prize money, they'd have to charge even more, so the entry would be $45 instead of $25.

The gymkhana is held in a place where the rancher next door drives in with his tractor and disks up some dirt in a corral that is normally used for cattle, and everyone volunteers, with the proceeds going to community organizations.