The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Okay, COTH expert blanket shoppers- I need help finding...

... a VERY durable (pony-proof) 66" medium weight stable blanket for my very destructive pony.

I prefer the type where there are 2 belly straps and they are crossed under the belly (is there a technical term for that? I want to say "crossed-surcingle" but I'm not sure that's right...), or a belly-band type, but am open to all types. I just really like the blankets where rear leg straps are optional, because most of my horses don't need them.

I am having a hard time because it seems like all of the blankets that I like aren't sized in 66"? The pony blankets seem to stop at 64" and the horse blankets are mostly 68" and up

Okay, bonus points if it comes in navy blue (stable color) or extra bonus points if it's purple (the pony's color- will match her halter and water buckets ), but right now I'd take the ugliest blanket on earth if it fits her and will live for a few years.

Thanks!!!

Get a turnout blanket. They come in higher deniers than the stable blankets, and therefore should (and I say should because ponies are a force of nature!) be harder to shred.

I don't buy stable blankets...I honestly find them pretty useless. Why get just a regular blanket when you could get the exact same thing that's also waterproof, and more durable?

I feel your pain with the pony blanket sizing..I have a 64'' guy, and honestly it's pretty hard to find even that size. Check out sstack.com, though, as they have lines that are specifically for ponies in a variety of deniers/prices/colors. I know they have purple!

I agree about getting a turnout. They may be higher in cost, but they are way more durable. And that sounds like what you need for a destructive pony. I don't buy stable blankets anymore. My horses spend almost all of their time outdoors anyway.
    For pony blanket shopping, I use Just for Ponies a lot. I have no trouble finding blankets for my 63" pony.

But a turnout. The only use for stable blankets is layering underneath turnouts.

Wow, I have never seen a purple pony! They are called bias surcingles. I agree with the turnout, I will never buy another stable blanket ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by oharabear View Post
    ... a VERY durable (pony-proof) 66" medium weight stable blanket for my very destructive pony.

I prefer the type where there are 2 belly straps and they are crossed under the belly <SNIP>

Okay, bonus points if it comes in navy blue (stable color) or extra bonus points if it's purple (the pony's color- will match her halter and water buckets ), but right now I'd take the ugliest blanket on earth if it fits her and will live for a few years.

Thanks!!!
    Ask and you shall receive...
    Pony Baker Blanket in Tartan

I believe this makes me the WINNER of the ask COTH oracle du jour. Perfect on ALL counts! Not ugly - pretty, functional and will last a lifetime - even on naughty ponies. Ask me how I know...

Enjoy!!!

SCFarm
    The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

www.southern-cross-farm.com

Of course if you really want a turnout blanket, this one is nice:

Rhino Pony Wug

Buy both and you pony will be warm, dry and stylin' for many winters to come. I do highly recommend both the Baker's and the Rhinos for durability, comfort and versatility.

SCFarm
    The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    Ha! I was following up! But I still win since the OP ASKED for a stable blanket. And maybe they really NEED a stable blanket. Just because most of the rest of the posters *think* they need a turnout doesn't mean they really do. They may be looking for a layering solution or just a nice blanket for show stabling.

In short - I still WIN!

SCFarm

JustForPonies: Amigo turnout by Horseware in purple or pink, on sale for $99.95.

http://www.justforponies.com/amigome...outcolors.aspx

They also have several other blankets in purple.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

I am also not opposed to a T/O. I can splurge on a nice blankie for her since she's never had her own NEW blanket. She has been wearing hand-me-downs from a hackney show barn that went out of business down the road from us. Which may be why they aren't holding up- I have no idea how old they are.

And said pony is white (well, technically red roan, but she only shows the "red" part on her ears), but her halter, water buckets, and grooming tools are all purple! So we can tell them apart from everyone else's (although, being the only PONY in the barn, I'm pretty sure we could figure out which halter and blanket belong to her)

Thanks guys! I knew I could count on COTH!