The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default TB or Anglo-Arabian or Anglo-whatever stallons?

Hello!

I've asked something like this before- Basically, we have a studbook Trak mare we'd like to lighten up, and so we need a very light stallion that ideally isn't over 16.3, because the mare is already 16.2... Head, neck, and leg conformation is very important, because those are her weakest qualities. She's by Adler and out of a mare out of a Perenglanz baby and by Mikado.

Highest priority in the stallion is movement suitable for dressage and ability in the Jumper or Eventing worlds. A hunter would be considered but we don't like something with a downhill build, which many hunters have. Registry capabilities are not that important. Ideally this would be an eventing foal.
    ....Of course, we'd rather not pay an arm and a leg for it, considering this is an older maiden mare and so we don't even know if she'll take. Basically, anything over 1,200 is out of the question. We've looked at Special Memories and contacted his owner; we have looked at Ironrule and his sire.

So, know of any stallions that might work? For TBs, perhaps if you know of a line that produces jumpers even though they were primarilly bred for racing, such as the Native/Northern Dancer line? (We actually have a Northern Dancer son in our area who is still breeding, but he doesn't seem to pass on much.)

If you check out this link:

http://www.angelfire.com/on3/TrueCol...G-WBfoals.html

the last 2 foals at the bottom of the page are Anglo Trakehner foals by my cremello TB stallion - Guaranteed Gold. And then if you click on the links of those 2 foals, you will go to the breeders page and see the 2 Trakehner mares those foals are out of

Good luck in your search!

There are two Anglo Arab stallions and several TBs at half-price here:

www.shnpayback.com/Stallions.html

Virginia Tech has Baladin d'Oc, an imported French Anglo.

Special Memories *Pg* is an Anglo Trakehner that you might want to look at.

Guaranteed Gold's Trakehner foals are both very nice and he 'stamps' his head and neck onto his foals.

Ironrule

Noble Champion

There is also the Anglo TK stallion, Tagealen (might have spelled that wrong). The ATA's Stallion Auction will be on line and going soon so you could get a bargin on one of the stallions. There are purebred TK stallions also that refine and lighten up mares.

I have a Mikado g'daughter that I bred to Oskar and he produces very refined babies with her - but he does produce height (through the leg) so therefor doesn't fit your requirements.

Just trying to think within the breed and for registration purposes.
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

I have a 16.1H Anglo Arabian stallion. Huge stride, nice jump, amateur friendly. Has also won in dressage the only time shown.

Here is his webpage with videos: http://www.allanglos.com/Cobalt.html

Below are three photos. The conformation pic is at age 3. The other two are at age 6.

The fourth photo is one of his yearlings out of a TB mare.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	signal bey us.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	27385   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	signalbey_3 yr.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	27386   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cobalt SHN Champ lo res.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	27387   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TC IMG_2836 lower res.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	27388  
    Last edited by allanglos; Dec. 7, 2009 at 01:53 PM.
    The Inverted Y
    Thoroughbred and Anglo Arabian Sporthorses
    2005 and 2007 USEF Breeder of the Year.
    www.allanglos.net

Hundreds of half priced champion stallions
    www.SHNpayback.org

Just trying to think within the breed and for registration purposes
    Ingrid from Tannenwald Trakehner (the owner and breeder of the foals on my website) gave me this explanation with regards to foals born out of approved Trakehner mares, by unapproved Thoroughbred stallions:

OK, I talked to the ATA guy and also reviewed our regulations.

We had a pilot program for several years under which purebred TB and Arab stallions could be inspected and approved for breeding to purebred mares. That program never extended eligibility to TB-Trakehner or Arab-Trakehner crosses; only purebred stallions, such as Guaranteed Gold, were eligible.

A few years ago we voted to discontinue the pilot program, essentially making the program "permanent." Here is a copy of the explanation for that program under which TB and Arab stallions can be inspected and approved. It may be somewhat outdated; for example, now the minimum score for a stallion is 60 instead of 58 (out of a possible 10 in each of 8 scoring categories). But it is the general tune.

http://www.americantrakehner.com/faq...mStallions.htm

Historically, we have had very few applicants for this. The criteria are pretty tough (particularly performance record) and the market for ATA mares is pretty tight, so I think that discourages most owners of TB and Arab stallions. But the get of approved stallions (TB stallions Musing, Cloned Steel, Ambassador in Love, maybe another...and Arab stallions Aul Magic, Al Marah Quebec, Taez, and maybe another) out of unrestricted ATA Studbook (OSB) mares are eligible for registration in the Official Registry Book, and then for entry into the Official Stud Book upon inspection.

But now and as ever,

A colt

- by a Jockey Club stallion that has not been presented and approved by the ATA, and

- out of an ATA mare (regardless of the book of her registry--registration book or stud book)

is not eligible under the pilot program or our regulations and is not eligible for the Official Stud Book.

Such a colt would be registrable only under the ATA Appendix Book Section (B) (if the dam is an ATA Stud Book mare--OSB) or Section (D) (if the dam is an ATA registry book mare--ORB). In neither case is a colt eligible for transfer to the Official Stud Book.

This is precisely the situation that Tango is in--his sire is unapproved, though his dam is OSB, so he is not eligible for approval on his own right (under the pilot program) and is not eligible to move up from his current registration status, in the Official Appendix Book (B)

The outcome is different for fillies. A filly by a Jockey Club stallion out of an ATA OSB mare is registrable in the Official Appendix Book (B), and from there, fillies (but not colts) can move into the Preliminary Stud Book upon inspection. So that will be Dory's path.

Hope that helps. Clear as mud, eh?

Not what I meant - she was thinking of Anglo - "other" breeds and is also being given stallions approved with other registeries (which is fine if that is what she wants to do). If she wants ATA papers she would need to go with approved TK stallions - for the full papers, if she is ok with a filly getting PSB approval (colt would not be elig for inspection for approval) then an unapproved T'bred, Arab, or Anglo-Arab would be fine (and that foal would be elig for papers even if a gelding).

Wasn't saying that she can't go to your stallion and have papers, just sayiing there are other options besides t'bred or going outside the breed.
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

There is an ATA Anglo-Trak stallion by Rubin out of a TB mare.

Rubinesque "PB"

He is 16.3H.

I've seen photos and he looks quite nice.

There might be a suitable stallion who did not get a bid on the latest ATA auction.

Check with the ATA director.

My trainer has two breedings to ATA eventing stallions. I'll see if she wants to sell either one inexpensively.

Contact me at oakstable@aol.com cuz I don't use PM here much.

My stallion Pacific (purebred Trakehner) is refined and may be what you are looking for. He certainly has the movement for the dressage, and is a very good jumper as well.