The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 98 of 113 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,960 of 2256

Default NGA

Quote Originally Posted by buffalo colleen View Post
    Congratulations FF and Cuervo! Now you just have to show Cuervo that alligators do not hang out in black shiny garbage bags!

FF

PS-Bro is going to be one awesome sports horse...

Default Fun at GVH Hunter Pace

Just letting people know the GVH Hunter pace was a blast. This was my first time, though 1 of my teammates has done some in the past. We did a few little jumps near the beginning, but then skipped the rest as they were bigger than we felt comfortable with.

All three FLF did great, though Baylee and Fiona (Golden Ladder) were a little hot at times. Maggie (Smack Dab Gab) was so quiet we wondered why they even tried to make her a racehorse . When a group came up behind us she wanted to wait and meet the new horses which probably explains why she did fail as a racehorse.

Some pictures from thier photographer:

Fiona:

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/re...ed2455ff25230c

Baylee:

Maggie:

All Three:

Can't wait to try another Hunter Pace.

Christa

I have to do a quick update on my guy! (ITS GOOD!) I am worried about jinxing myself, but I think I am ok. I went through trainer #1, trainer #2, and a rider, surgery at Cornell, a lot of xrays, a lot of consultations, a lot of vets, different farriers, but....I found a new rider who was AWESOME~! I will not reveal too much info because I have not asked them ahead of time if I could, but they know who they are
    My horse was ridden on Saturday and it went FANTASTIC! The rider told him basically, this is what we are going to do, and he was like "ummm....well....ok". I have a great horse now, who has a funny, sweet personality, is very easy to work with on the ground AND can be RIDDEN!!!! I am still not ready to ride him myself, but soon.
    I still think his shoeing was somewhat of a problem- one big pancake and one tall more compact hoof- he now has pads to try to even out his front feet, but he moves a lot better already.
    I want to thank FriskyFlea, JollyTrak, SEPowell, Lazy-Pony and Buffalo Colleen for all their great advice. I will eventually, hopefully post more information, and HOPEFULLY be at some shows next summer!!!!
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Callista17; Oct. 24, 2012 at 11:52 AM. Reason: add another great person

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Callista17 View Post
    I have to do a quick update on my guy! (ITS GOOD!) .... I will eventually, hopefully post more information, and HOPEFULLY be at some shows next summer!!!!
    Thanks!

SQUEEEEE!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Friskyflea View Post
    SQUEEEEE!!!!!!
    Ditto!!!!!!! and Woot Woot Woot

*Someone* managed to pick up a right lead canter promptly on request last night!!
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you FriskyFlea and Jollytrak!!!!

Default Finally, decent pix

A friend brought a good camera to the barn today. I wasn't planning on jumping, but couldn't pass up on getting good images of what we both look like over fences... As you know, Sandy is churning off the east coast of FL and we are getting kite-flying winds. Today the speeds were 15-18 mph with gusts up to 30 mph. Cuervo was in Cowabunga mode. No stops, just a bit too much enthusiasm over one particular fence

Jumping Album

password is "cuervo"

FF

i like 19 and 29 (i think)... some really cute shots too and from the pictures.... can't tell cowabunga mode

thanks for sharing!!!!

I have to do a quick update on my guy! (ITS GOOD!) I am worried about jinxing myself, but I think I am ok. I went through trainer #1, trainer #2, and a rider, surgery at Cornell, a lot of xrays, a lot of consultations, a lot of vets, different farriers, but....I found a new rider who was AWESOME~! I will not reveal too much info because I have not asked them ahead of time if I could, but they know who they are
    My horse was ridden on Saturday and it went FANTASTIC! The rider told him basically, this is what we are going to do, and he was like "ummm....well....ok". I have a great horse now, who has a funny, sweet personality, is very easy to work with on the ground AND can be RIDDEN!!!! I am still not ready to ride him myself, but soon.
    I still think his shoeing was somewhat of a problem- one big pancake and one tall more compact hoof- he now has pads to try to even out his front feet, but he moves a lot better already.
    I want to thank FriskyFlea, JollyTrak, SEPowell, Lazy-Pony and Buffalo Colleen for all their great advice. I will eventually, hopefully post more information, and HOPEFULLY be at some shows next summer!!!!
    Thanks!
    This horse has cost me so much....in beer and ice cream. lol I just go home sometimes and think "now what"? This has been months of ground work/trying to work with him.
    Looks like all that beer and ice cream paid off! Do I ever admire and commend you for sticking with him. So glad to read this good news and I'm looking forward to reading more!

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    *Someone* managed to pick up a right lead canter promptly on request last night!!
    Great! That guy is the living end.

Quote Originally Posted by Christa P View Post
    Just letting people know the GVH Hunter pace was a blast. This was my first time, though 1 of my teammates has done some in the past. We did a few little jumps near the beginning, but then skipped the rest as they were bigger than we felt comfortable with.

All three FLF did great, though Baylee and Fiona (Golden Ladder) were a little hot at times. Maggie (Smack Dab Gab) was so quiet we wondered why they even tried to make her a racehorse . When a group came up behind us she wanted to wait and meet the new horses which probably explains why she did fail as a racehorse.

Can't wait to try another Hunter Pace.

Christa
    Loved the pictures! I looked at all of them in the slideshow. Some great shots of smiling riders waving at the camera.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Default Cowabunga explained

Quote Originally Posted by jollytrak View Post
    i like 19 and 29 (i think)... some really cute shots too and from the pictures.... can't tell cowabunga mode

thanks for sharing!!!!
    thx!

Pic 19 is a perfect example, he is jumping flat. If you peek at 18 and look at his feet placement, you can see we were in trouble. He totally ignored my half-halts 3 strides prior, ignored the ground pole, opened his stride out [against my distinct wishes] and did one giant frog leap, stretched flat instead of making an arc.

At this height there is no *problem* per se (as far as getting hurt). When you leap like that you can catch a rail with your hind feet and in XC the jumps don't give. So you practice good form and teach them to take off at the right place over small stuff where they can make mistakes, however, they must
    listen
    to
    the
    half-halts

before AND after the jumps, the latter if we are going to have any hope of making the turns to the lines as I have them set up. It's called practice for a reason

#4 shows a nice take off

So sitting here listening to the wind howling outside, thought I'd give an update on Bailey. We rode in a Will Coleman clinic this past weekend at the barn he's at, and had a total blast!

Have a lot to work on with my upper body, mostly learning to relax my arms, carry my hands, bend my elbows & use them independently, as well we learning to sit up...I didn't realize just how tense & locked I was!

We did a lot of pole work, and gymnastics on the first day. Bailey had his jumping shoes on, and made sure he cleared everything, even ground poles.

2nd day was inside due to this storm. Did a lot of no-stirrup work, which I actually enjoyed for some reason, lol. Did some jumping on a circle which was really good for him. Then came jumping small courses. Bailey apparently had enough, and just started refusing everything. I guess I never really get pissed at him, maybe I'm afraid at him blowing up. But he started refusing stupid fences like cross rails, and Will really got after me to get after him. I was so exhausted from cantering around & around that I finally DID get pissed at my horse, and finally got the courage to really correct him. I think I growled really loud towards the end too, and Bailey finally went over it a couple times. That got me a high-five from Will, and the rest of my group wanting to clap, haha. Was nice riding with such a great group of people!

So overall, lots of work to do, but really enjoyed myself. I really hope he comes back next year, I left feeling proud of myself, but also with lots of homework that I want to work on.

My old coworker took wonderful pictures of everybody, Bailey's are below.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1069835...CLHFmuzm7dDnOw
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

^^ It was actually my super, wonderful, amazing, trooper of a husband that stood in the rain and cold Saturday and Sunday and took about 2,000 pictures. I had the pleasure of going through each picture, choosing the "best" ones, cropping, resizing, and for the indoor picture manually adjusting brightness/contrast and trying to de-fuzz the pictures (it takes 2-3 hours per group!). You are welcome!

I've been loving the updates on everyone - Cuervo looks super over fences!

I've been very busy - I had a lesson with Mara Depuy (I can't remember if I reported on her yet) but she is so fantastic - definitely had those "light bulb" moments with her. Our biggest light bulb moments happened on the flat - finally found that beautiful forward horse. I compiled a video of our jumping part of the lesson - I look foward to having another lesson or two with her next year!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YyBH...=youtube_gdata

Last week I cliniced with Lucinda Green, and while it wasn't a disaster, it just wasn't our best outing. Mare was in heat (I ran out of depo, and I just didn't refill the bottle, as we were done with competition, I didn't think her heat cycles would be that terrible) on top of that she got kicked in her vulva a few days before, and while it was healing fine and she appeared to be fine, I think she was still uncomfortable, and we ended up taking it easy especially on the second day.

Pics from Lucinda -

Gallop!

The skinny, stride to ditch, stride to skinny combo

steps down

Jumping inside went a lot better the day before where we did a ton of skinnies, jumping the skinnies at angles, jumping a lot of things at really odd angles.

I'm still working on pictures from my group from Will Coleman - she was just fantastic this weekend

1 members found this post helpful.

Well, it's with a heavy sad heart my time with Itch has come to pass I new this day would come, just didn't know soooooo soon.

Itch has a new person to call his own, I couldn't be happier and they will become a fantastic pair and a force to be reckoned with in area ix only problem, they'll probably be kicking my arse too the upside, I'll get to see him at the shows .... kicking my arse...

Thanks to SEPowell and BC for your kind encouragement almost a year ago to scratch that persistent itch He is truly an amazing finest!!

2 members found this post helpful.

Well, it's with a heavy sad heart my time with Itch has come to pass I new this day would come, just didn't know soooooo soon.
    Not gonna lie, at first I thought he died. Glad he didn't and he's going to continue kicking butt with his new person!
    My OTTB and Finger Lakes Finest, Sunny Boy 'n Ben E and the old man, Salvator.

Check out Second Chance Thoroughbreds and like us on Facebook!

lol, feels like I have lol he was a character and miss seeing his cute face in the barn!

miss seeing his cute face in the barn!
    OOOHHhhhhh- so what you're saying is....there's an empty stall in your barn?!?!? hmmmmm Sorry to see him go, but glad you can see how far he excells!

Itch has a new person to call his own, I couldn't be happier and they will become a fantastic pair and a force to be reckoned with in area ix only problem, they'll probably be kicking my arse too the upside, I'll get to see him at the shows .... kicking my arse...

Thanks to SEPowell and BC for your kind encouragement almost a year ago to scratch that persistent itch He is truly an amazing finest!!
    Oh dear!! Good luck to Itch and his new person!!

Time for you to get another from Finger Lakes!!!