The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 97 of 113 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,940 of 2257

Talking

Great News! I will be bringing the beautiful, talented and majestic, Wonforthegoodguys home soon. He will be joining my other fantastic Finger Lakes Finest, Skim the Rail and B Long to Mio who will be his buddies. These wonderful mature horses that have remained sound are likely to stay that way into their new carrers. My wonderful horse Chopito, (who retired from racing after an injury on the track) went into training as a 6yr old and was schooled into the upper level movements of Piaffe and Passage. These guys have a great work ethic, love to please and are so appreciative of all the TLC. You can still catch a quick glimpse of this gorgeous guy seen in this years pictures at: http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com/

Default Good news indeed!

Congrats Red! He is absolutely lovely! Ditto to what you said about the older ones who've been slugging it out for a while.

Speaking of which, has anyone called on Rock on Billy??

Quote Originally Posted by redsryding View Post
    Great News! I will be bringing the beautiful, talented and majestic, Wonforthegoodguys home soon. He will be joining my other fantastic Finger Lakes Finest, Skim the Rail and B Long to Mio who will be his buddies. These wonderful mature horses that have remained sound are likely to stay that way into their new carrers. My wonderful horse Chopito, (who retired from racing after an injury on the track) went into training as a 6yr old and was schooled into the upper level movements of Piaffe and Passage. These guys have a great work ethic, love to please and are so appreciative of all the TLC. You can still catch a quick glimpse of this gorgeous guy seen in this years pictures at: http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com/
    Hooray!!!! I wanted him last year but his trainer wasn't ready to let him go at that time..then he was sold to another trainer. So glad he's going to a great home with some Finest buddies! Keep us (and me!) updated!
    My OTTB and Finger Lakes Finest, Sunny Boy 'n Ben E and the old man, Salvator.

Check out Second Chance Thoroughbreds and like us on Facebook!

Red, I am very excited for you and for WonForTheGoodGuys!! As you and I both know, since we have been doing this at Finger Lakes for so many years (you can thank me later for recruiting you as a volunteer) FLFinests are VERY ADDICTING. I was looking at my two, Siddartha and Madaarlin last night, and shaking my head at how the years fly by! Won is a great horse and when I took his photos a few weeks ago, I knew you would not be able to resist. He will be a great addition to your FLF herd.

Shannon, I must tell you that when I took the photos of your handsome boy at the track last year, I was very tempted to take him home myself. I was so glad that you saved me from myself (I do not need another FLF) and that I would be able to follow his progress here on CoTH. He had such a great personality, it only took a 10 minute photo session to convince me how cool he was!

Please, everyone, if you are considering adding to your four-legged herd this year, go check out the beauties available at www.fingerlakesfinesttbs.com I photographed over 20 horses in the last few weeks, and each one was nicer than the last. For a quick peek, check out Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbreds, Inc. on Facebook. Take a look at Ziggy and Tanzillion and Offshore Score for starters. While you are there, please "like" our page. We would love to reach 300 likes!!!!
    Proud FLF Thoroughbreds Volunteer Since 2006
    Please visit our website www.fingerlakesfinesttbs.com

Yay Princess!

We're getting so advanced! Grand Prix ring, here we come!
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    Yay Princess!

We're getting so advanced! Grand Prix ring, here we come!
    YAY both of you!!! And where did you get your pink standards? Forgotten Cat was jumping 3' before I stopped for the year, but I tell you, if I put a set of pink standards out there the only place he'd be jumping would be out of his skin!

I made them! I love making jumps, and now I'm even using them for a change! FYI, one can of spray paint will give you decent coverage on one pair of 4' standards.
    VW sucks.

I made them! I love making jumps, and now I'm even using them for a change! FYI, one can of spray paint will give you decent coverage on one pair of 4' standards.
    You love making them?? You're my hero. I think they're tedious to make and when I think about getting my tools out to start working I start feeling agitated and strange, sort of like I'm about to get a migraine.

But yours are lovely and your lovely jumping horse is even lovlier. He's so cool. You got one of the best

My trainer used to laugh at my color coded standards. Standards were made at different times so the holes didn't always line up from one batch to another so I painted the tops different colors so you could easily match them up. She told me I had too much time on my hands and I told her I was just super organized.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

Awesome before and afters, jumpingaddict!

Our two FLF's didn't do too much this summer, sadly. We have our farm for sale and as such, I was very busy getting things in order, there just wasn't much time to do much riding, other than the weekly lessons and hacks. My trailer never left the yard this year, first time ever that we haven't used it
    The horses don't seem to mind the down time, they hang out and eat, and play. Lexi has really come into herself, she grew a bit, and really filled out. As I've stated before, she is a pleasure to have in my barn, and her sunny disposition brightens my days.
    Mr Jetty is a goof ball, loves to stir the pot and get the mares all to running and being silly. Both Finests are the type of horses I love to own....the ones you can leave out for weeks, then hop on and go with out any issues. They are enjoying life and thriving. Once we get moved, they will love the new farm we have an offer in to buy...tons more cleared pasture and room to really let go and gallop all out!
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

Just a quick update on Bailey. We rode in a small schooling show to benefit the local breast cancer society chapter today. He was such a rockstar. This past spring a show was held at the barn he was at, and he about lost his marbles. All the activity just got to him, and all we could manage was a short school in the morning.

Today he was alert, but super quiet. He did fantastic in all his classes, and ended up with two 2nd's in jumping, and 1st in flat...even took champion in our division. I just can't believe how far he's come since spring, he really is loving his new job!

A couple pictures of us waiting for our flat class. A few friends took riding pictures, hopefully will see them soon. We wanted to recreate that photo on the internet of the horse covered in ribbons on his bridle, haha, he was falling asleep as we took it.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-d...ancerShow1.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-m...ancerShow2.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-8...ancerShow3.jpg
    Last edited by BoysNightOut; Oct. 13, 2012 at 05:21 PM.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

I think it was Bailey's experience as an honored guest at your wedding that brought him around. He suddenly realized he had competition for your affections and he might not be the complete center of your universe anymore unless he started acting like the Mr. Perfect he was always capable of being!
    Congratulations to both of you!
    The Finger Lakes Finest Trainer Listing Service
    http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com
    Find us on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/FingerLakesF...oroughbredsInc

Default quickie Cuervo update

We attended the South Creek Foxhounds hunter pace. Went in the "flat" class b/c my teammate literally plucked her horse out of the field after about 7-8 wks on inactivity, plus, she had just come night shift duty (ICU nurse), got home (~50 min drive), ran to the barn, hooked up, loaded and drove to the venue (another 50 min)... we didn't want to push our luck. She jumped maybe 3-4 jumps: I did everything except a large hanging tree with no ground line and a black culvert that is about 3'6". The only trouble spots were the "baby" culverts (2'-2'6") - shiny black pipes...

We got 2nd

And will be working with scary black, shiny garbage bags at home

FF

Quote Originally Posted by Friskyflea View Post
    We got 2nd

And will be working with scary black, shiny garbage bags at home FF
    Congratulations FF and Cuervo! Now you just have to show Cuervo that alligators do not hang out in black shiny garbage bags!
    Find us on Facebook:

Such a good boy! (Not me riding, obviously.)

River cantered for the first time last night. He was a good boy, although it took him a while to pick it up. He was so quiet I put up a crossrail, then a vertical, then a bigger vertical. It was still under 2', so not really big.. But he was so good. He trotted right up to it every time and stopped/hopped over. He puts zero effort into it, so I don't know if he's going to be much of a jumper.. we'll have to see what he does when we progress to actual jumps. Which won't be for a while.. We'll be working at the walk and trot, and maybe the occasional canter if I'm feeling brave.

Seems like every FLF is exceptionally quiet, easy, and pleasant.. is there something in the water???
    VW sucks.

Such a good boy! (Not me riding, obviously.)

River cantered for the first time last night. He was a good boy, although it took him a while to pick it up. He was so quiet I put up a crossrail, then a vertical, then a bigger vertical. It was still under 2', so not really big.. But he was so good. He trotted right up to it every time and stopped/hopped over. He puts zero effort into it, so I don't know if he's going to be much of a jumper.. we'll have to see what he does when we progress to actual jumps. Which won't be for a while.. We'll be working at the walk and trot, and maybe the occasional canter if I'm feeling brave.

Seems like every FLF is exceptionally quiet, easy, and pleasant.. is there something in the water???
    Wow! He's really coming along, in fact zooming along in his progress. It took Forgotten Cat a while to get the idea of jumping; he initially just crashed through stadium jumps. He really needed solid fences to figure out that he needed to levitate.

Quote Originally Posted by SEPowell View Post
    Wow! He's really coming along, in fact zooming along in his progress. It took Forgotten Cat a while to get the idea of jumping; he initially just crashed through stadium jumps. He really needed solid fences to figure out that he needed to levitate.
    Thanks, although I think we're not so much zooming along as skipping around... we still have a LOT to accomplish before we can start jumping for real, but I don't think it'll hurt to pop him over a little jump here and there. Especially because I'm used to horses who go crazy over fences, and the only way to get them to chill out is to randomly go over little jumps all the time so they realize it's no big deal. I want Riv to learn from the start that jumping is nothing to get excited about... although I wouldn't object to sufficient excitement to make it over the jump without demolishing it . I'm very pleased with him, even if he is a clod .
    VW sucks.

Just a quick update on th Bro-meister!

Sooo, Friday I took the plunge and raised some ground poles that he's bored with already (6 in total, trotting nicely, even straight!) into a teeny cross rail. Maybe 8" high in the middle at the end of the ground pole line. I swear this horse has jumped before! I tried just walking him over, "Nope gotta trot it, Mom!" Total success x3!!

He then got the weekend off as I was busy watching some lovely steeplechase races. Hop on him today in the indoor since it's windy and rainy out with 3 other horses. This is a first time experience for him in the indoor and he's a little tense with everyone trotting in front of him, while I want him to walk. Bro's starting to relax and stretch down at the trot all by himself. One girl is taking a lesson and our trainer sets up a decent cross rail and declares a "Jump Clinic" for all of us in the ring! Sure, enough I take him through band he just lopes along after the fence over the rails (he's only ever cantered a single pole before today!). Wash, rinse, repeat 2x. Trainer then sets up a verticle one stride after the x rail at about 2'3" asks if I want to take him over, "sure, why the heck not?!?" Trots nicely up to the x rail and canters over the verticle, no hesitation, but is a little clumsy and knocks it down. Go through again, very straight, but not quite sure how to get his long legs out of the way... Trainer puts a ground line down under the verticle, Houston, we have lift-off!! YAY, good BOY!

And he walks through the big puddles all by himself and cows really aren't that scarey anymore! Oh and he's plumped up nicely... how did I luck out with 2 "Hoovers" disguised as OTTBs?

I just need to remember the dang camera to capture his awesomeness! But I do have 4 human witnesses for today's achievement!!

Hey Helio, glad that Bro is so awesome and that you are having fun. Can't wait to see some videos. Tilly sends her love -- she too is learning to really stretch down into the contact -- and wait to the base of the jump.
    We were at the GVH races but didn't get to say hi since you and other Stampeders were working so hard.
    Find us on Facebook:

Quote Originally Posted by Heliodoro View Post
    Just a quick update on th Bro-meister!

Sooo, Friday I took the plunge and raised some ground poles that he's bored with already (6 in total, trotting nicely, even straight!) into a teeny cross rail. Maybe 8" high in the middle at the end of the ground pole line. I swear this horse has jumped before! I tried just walking him over, "Nope gotta trot it, Mom!" Total success x3!!

He then got the weekend off as I was busy watching some lovely steeplechase races. Hop on him today in the indoor since it's windy and rainy out with 3 other horses. This is a first time experience for him in the indoor and he's a little tense with everyone trotting in front of him, while I want him to walk. Bro's starting to relax and stretch down at the trot all by himself. One girl is taking a lesson and our trainer sets up a decent cross rail and declares a "Jump Clinic" for all of us in the ring! Sure, enough I take him through band he just lopes along after the fence over the rails (he's only ever cantered a single pole before today!). Wash, rinse, repeat 2x. Trainer then sets up a verticle one stride after the x rail at about 2'3" asks if I want to take him over, "sure, why the heck not?!?" Trots nicely up to the x rail and canters over the verticle, no hesitation, but is a little clumsy and knocks it down. Go through again, very straight, but not quite sure how to get his long legs out of the way... Trainer puts a ground line down under the verticle, Houston, we have lift-off!! YAY, good BOY!

And he walks through the big puddles all by himself and cows really aren't that scarey anymore! Oh and he's plumped up nicely... how did I luck out with 2 "Hoovers" disguised as OTTBs?

I just need to remember the dang camera to capture his awesomeness! But I do have 4 human witnesses for today's achievement!!
    Prediction: You and Bro will be on your way to Novice by the end of the summer. He's built to do the job and it's going to be so easy for him you're greatest challenge will be holding him back a bit to get the foundation just right. Oh, I love your horse!