The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 93 of 113 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103 ... LastLast
Results 1,841 to 1,860 of 2257

Quote Originally Posted by Friskyflea View Post
    Dunno, but I emailed the owner and if I get a reply I'll let you know.

Here's a picture of Cuervo from last October. I apologize for the quality - it was taken from video, but you can see what I mean

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/r...rvoStad_4b.jpg

and another from this April, also from video

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/r...ea/TMF/XC4.jpg

FF

Oh my goodness KNEES! He is adorable. I guess it all makes sense now.... They definitely are related! haha.

Quote Originally Posted by SEPowell View Post
    Holy Cow!!! Time for you and Cuervo to graduate to Grand Prix!
    yeah - when he is not too sure he overjumps - people don't snicker at me anymore about using a neck strap once they see photos of his jumping style

FF

Default "Lo que se hereda no se hurta"

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy-Pony View Post
    Oh my goodness KNEES! He is adorable. I guess it all makes sense now.... They definitely are related! haha.

yup, that's all him - we've done no gymnastic grids to help him get a decent jumping bascule...

the title is a saying in Spanish that translates to

"what you inherit you do not steal" (i.e. it's in the blood)

I figured from his conformation that he should have a decent jump in him and I have not been disappointed

FF

Default FLF owners in Florida - exciting news!

I hope this posting is OK - if not, moderators, I apologize in advance.

I just came in from south of Ocala from a meeting with 2 organizing members of the Thoroughbred Horse Show Association. AWESOME news. A TB only show is in the works for early December.

The venue, incredible Longwood Farm South in Ocala, FL.
    http://thebarrygroup.com/longwood/Home.aspx

The goal of THSA is to promote TBs and to help provide shows for OTTBs at entry and mid-level of their 2nd career development. They look to keep fees low yet hold shows at top level venues.

For more info (and to stay informed about the December show) keep an eye at http://tbhorseshow.com/

I will be there either volunteering (most likely) or showing (one never knows) and would love to meet up with any other FLF peeps that can make it!

FF

Default The stars lined up..at last

So, in synopsis, I got Ries at the end of the 2010 meet. Bought him more off of the fact that he was adorable and acted like something out of a black stallion movie when he first laid eyes on me than a rational conformation based decision. He was awesome at the get go and by April of 2011, I seemed to have a horse that was ready to do Training asap. Then Murphy's Law thought I got uppity. So after a series of "unfortunate events" we finally got a chance to get going again in the last few months. I took Ries to a schooling event in July and he was a very good boy.

So we entered Erie and I have been mentally ducking since in hopes of not irritating Murphy. I did not realize that when I signed the bill of sale of Ries that I was also subscribing to superstitious beliefs. I did not want to post any information on him just in case. So the wrap up - he won his beginner novice division on his dressage score. He was great in stadium - largely because he clears everything by a foot (nod to Cuervo and FF), so technical mistakes were made but did not cause a fence to be touched. I was certain something bad would happen xc, but he loved it. Loped along, ears locked onto a fence, pushed up to it, and then loped along to the next. He has not seen a bank since April of 2011 and leaped up without question. Ries finished with hardly a raised pulse and sauntered back to stabling like an old pro. His ground manners could not be better.

I really hope we have paid our dues and its smooth sailing for such a sweet horse.

FG - good luck with your mare's strained tendon. That was one of our "unfortunate events" last summer/fall. I was really conservative with bringing Ries back and in the ultrasound recheck - they could not find any evidence of a strain, so good luck. I would have posted days ago with that, but as I said, Ries has left me very superstitious.

Huge hooray to Rhymes w/Orange and Ries!!! I know it has been a long and superstition inducing road to get to this successful point but you hung in there and never gave up on your gorgeous and talented horse. Here's hoping for many more finishing and winning on dressage score events for you (as long as they're different from Tilly's).
    Sending four leaf clovers and aligned stars your way!

Default Huzzah!

Quote Originally Posted by buffalo colleen View Post
    Huge hooray to Rhymes w/Orange and Ries!!!

Hurrah indeed! I LOVED that horse's look and expression plus his conformation pictures (and to think he was named after a cantaloupe varietal...) and was so happy you (Rw/O) are a CoTHer so we could hear about his future exploits.

I think you may have paid your karma dues, at least for a while.

I'm still mega cash strapped so don't know how much Cuervo and I will do this coming season, so plz keep up the updates: it's like going eventing myself

FF

PS- speaking of, where has our esteemed Team The Jolly been off to these days?

Well, Princess River moved yesterday and is settling in just fine. I put him and my mare in stalls when we got there and they went out this morning. The BO texted me to let me know they're doing great. I think this is going to work out well .
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

way to go Rw/O and Ries!! Will you guys be at GVRDC this weekend?

The Jolly has been taking some time off - I've been traveling (was in Vegas for a week for a bachelorette party, then Boston for a week for work) but we are back! This weekend is GVRDC where we are competing at training. I had wanted to try to go to either Erie or Great Vista this past weekend, but I had to go to my friend's bridal shower.

I'm not sure we will be able to get to much other than GVRDC and Lucinda Green in October - maybe the GVRDC jumper derby. I've been really wanting to go down south to area II for some events, but I haven't been able to convince someone to trailer with me or I end up having to work a weekend that would work for someone else

Yesterday I longed River in the indoor. I have no idea if he's ever been in an indoor before, so longeing seemed like a safe idea. He didn't care about the indoor, but he was absolutely fascinated by the other horse in the ring. We didn't get a whole lot of longeing done...

I was pretty much laughing at him nonstop. Silly boy!
    VW sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    Yesterday I longed River in the indoor. I have no idea if he's ever been in an indoor before, so longeing seemed like a safe idea. He didn't care about the indoor, but he was absolutely fascinated by the other horse in the ring. We didn't get a whole lot of longeing done...

I was pretty much laughing at him nonstop. Silly boy!
    Hey, that 'other horse' is a real cutie.

The farm I bought my current boy from had mirrors in the indoor but I don't have any in mine because I turn out in it daily come winter so the horses have some good footing to go along with the snow and frozen ground outside. So after I had him for about 3 months, I took him to my trainer's for a gymnastic clinic. She has mirrors and my boy acted like he'd never seen them before. I also was laughing so hard it was hard to push him forward past them and not let him spook at himself!
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

So glad to see that Princess River is adjusting so well to his new home -- and his new "mirror image"! Is he perhaps gazing into it saying "Mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the FL Finest of them all"?
    Considering how many years he lived in a stall during his long track life, I think that he will do well at the new barn. Here's hoping it means fewer leg scratches and flare ups over the winter, and lots more riding for you. Watch out, you may have to start calling him King River pretty soon!

I was so brave last night! He wasn't nearly as distracted by the other horse. He was still interested, but it didn't occupy all of his rather limited brainpower. Although, I was really more impressed that I was able to get on him with a two-step mounting block. Thankfully, he's a good boy about standing.. he doesn't start to walk away until I've got my leg over, lol.

We mostly just walked and worked on moving FORWARD (how did this horse race????) and not swinging his body parts in strange directions.. he insists on popping his shoulder going to the right. I end up walking circles with no stirrups so I can use my legs enough to get him where he needs to be. But he was able to walk a few steps here and there more or less correctly.. baby steps.

He will ALWAYS be Princess! He's too accident prone to be anything else. I told the BOs that they don't need to worry about anything happening to any other horses while he's there, because he's a lightning rod for trouble and anything that happens will happen to him.
    VW sucks.

Hahaha I love River's experience with the mirrors. Tally had the same expression on her face the first time we pretended to be DQ's and rode in an indoor with mirrors. He's adorable!

Default Anybody going to Houghton Sept 29

I'm seriously thinking about taking Baylee for the Intro/Trot over poles division to give some her some more show experience. Should be fun - her first event and my first in ~25 years .

Here's an update:

Saturday we took Baylee (Bayshore Gal), Fiona (Golden Ladder) and Maggie (Smack Dab Gab), the 3 we rescued last December down to Houghton for a lesson. All three horses were well behaved, even Maggie and Fiona who were away from home for the first time.

Joanne liked all 3 and asked if we planned to come down for the event. I (made the mistake and) asked if there was a trot over poles division. When she said yes I thought it might a fun.

More generally:

Baylee has continued to make progress. She is getting better at bending and balancing at the walk, trot, and right lead canter. The left lead is very sticky and still needs a lot of work. I have also started her over crossrails and have plans to ship out for a couple of trail rides in the next few weeks.

I will get some new pictures in her photobucket album soon. It needs updating as she looks better all the time - there has been a huge change from the track listing, not to mention what she looked like by the time I brought her home.

Christa

Quote Originally Posted by Christa P View Post
    I'm seriously thinking about taking Baylee for the Intro/Trot over poles division to give some her some more show experience. Should be fun - her first event and my first in ~25 years .

Christa
    I think you and Baylee should go for it!!

I don't know why I never did this before, but I googled Oliver and found two exciting pictures. One from his first race ever at Aqueduct as a 3 year old that was photographed by Sarah K. Andrew, and one in 2007 where he won at Belmont ridden by Garrett Gomez. He was also ridden by John Velazquez in 2007 at Saratoga, but no pictures of that. Pretty sweet though. I am stoked
    My OTTB and Finger Lakes Finest, Sunny Boy 'n Ben E and the old man, Salvator.

Check out Second Chance Thoroughbreds and like us on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon.Ryan18 View Post
    I don't know why I never did this before, but I googled Oliver and found two exciting pictures. One from his first race ever at Aqueduct as a 3 year old that was photographed by Sarah K. Andrew, and one in 2007 where he won at Belmont ridden by Garrett Gomez. He was also ridden by John Velazquez in 2007 at Saratoga, but no pictures of that. Pretty sweet though. I am stoked
    Great Pictures! I need to do that for Forgotten Cat. I'd love some pictures of him racing.

Oliver looks like DA MAN in his racing colors!

Default FLF Alumn Solidify

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon.Ryan18 View Post
    I followed your example and tried with Baylee and found this:

http://www.nytbreeders.org/racing/ny...?date=7/2/2011

http://www.nytbreeders.org/racing/ny...?date=8/8/2011

She is Bayshore Gal, the third horse down in the first and at the bottom in the second and they include videos of her wins , too cool.

Christa
    Last edited by Christa P; Aug. 26, 2012 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Clarity