The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 90 of 113 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast
Results 1,781 to 1,800 of 2257

Just a quick brag on Bailey, since I'm just so excited.

We're finally jumping! Our canter has improved a TON since working with a really nice trainer, and he finally is picking it up within a couple strides, and using himself correctly. I'm still working on getting him to look as good when I ride, but we're definitely making progress. We had a really good ride last night.

Our trainer took him over a few fences, and he took them like a pro. Even scary flower boxes. I jumped him over cross rails, and couldn't believe how much fun he is.

I'm very much looking forward to showing him in the future now.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

Default ka-Boom

Quote Originally Posted by EventingJ View Post
    FF! Sounds like you had a great time schooling, what a dramatic ending I've heard those things go off before, I can't imagine how alarming it must be being so close to it, haha.
    I have a Hit Air, and the *explosion* was surprisingly low decibel: it actually took me a few seconds to register that the sound was my air vest - I was so concerned that Cuervo might have banged his stifle or caught his hock going up the bank b/c he really felt like he scaled it rather than jumped it. I felt the pressure and 2 sec later I thought *air vest* but at that point I was looking at his back leg - tried to heave a sigh of relief when I saw the lower end of his galloping boot under his hoof but couldn't because of the boa constrictor effect from the vest. Had I not had Cuervo by the reins I would have flopped on the ground just to feel how it would have felt had I fallen.

oh, and - buffalo colleen - welcome to the dark side...
    now that you are hooked, good luck wanting to go back to just ring work...

BNO - go Bailey!

FF

well WAHOO! just got finished with Stuart - were we dropped back down to Novice (I waited to the last minute to enter, going back and forth on Training or Novice... decided best just to do Novice incase we crashed and burned at GVH or Great Vista) - anyhoo we ended up 3rd! out of 20+ ! yayayay!

AND Foundationmare was there to see the beautiful mare go AND do a victory gallop! Was so nice to see her

I made a post in the eventing forum with links to our helmet cam, dressage test, and stadium

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...56#post6435856

also we have done fabulously in our first Training outings. We ended 7th at GVH with clean cross country and 1 rail in stadium. That helmet cam is here and when I get the photos from that one I will have to post a couple - I think there were some really nice pictures in stadium

Default Can I get A Whoop Whoop!

Congrats! That was awesome!

Best "oh sh*t!* moment of the season so far... however stay tuned as I hope to have a contender come the start of our fall season

You took a slight detour and *still* had to slow her down to make optimum? outstanding...!

Nice flying change she gave you XC b4 fence 8 (? I think?)

And her dressage test, what a great progression from her earlier efforts. You probably focused on her premature first canter depart and the first few strides of both canter circles, b4 she settles into a nice rhythm. What I saw was that her trot stayed the same throughout and nicely cadenced, she was soft in the bridle and looked very relaxed (a few strides at the canter were the exception). Her down transitions were quite good. The walk maybe got you a 7.5 or so? She could have stretched down to the bit a tad more but it still was above adequate and not rushed.

Presentation ceremony with Victory Gallop picture ---
    *** priceless ***

Go Team The Jolly!

FF
    Last edited by Friskyflea; Jul. 16, 2012 at 06:56 PM. Reason: typos

Congatulations to you EventingJ. You and The Jolly did super. I only came for your Stadium and was glad I did .
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Congratulations to the J team -- way to go at Stuart!!! And what a nice bonus that Foundationmare was able to get there to see the mare she once owned put in such a stellar performance. I completely second FF's astute comments about your dressage test; the trot did indeed look relaxed and steady with a nice cadence.

Default Congratulations to all the competitors and Baylee update

Just wanted to say great job to all those out there competing. The horses look great and everybody looks like they are having fun. I hope to get to some regular shows and events either later this fall or, at the latest, next spring.

Baylee (Bayshore Gal) is turning into such a FUN horse and she is proving to be very smart and easy to train. This week I decided she was ready to canter under saddle, but I was nervous asking her (anxiety from the WB/TB I rode the past couple of years) so I brought out the lunge line, side reins, and lunging cavesson to see what she did.

Wednesday Evening: warmed up doing some walk and trot, then attached side reins at the longest setting (i.e. she can't flip her head up, but they are not really restictive). Then we did some more walk and trot asking for stretching over her topline.

Then I asked for the canter. First to the left, she had trouble getting the the lead, was unbalanced and seemed afraid to stop, but I finally got a semi-balanced canter and was able to get her back to a trot. I tried again and got a better transition and it was somewhat easier to get her back to a trot.

Then to the right. She picked it up all right, but then would. not. stop. She galloped around me and I finally had to manuever her into the fence to get her back to a trot. I tried 2 more times and by the third I finally was able to get the trot without using the fence, but it was ugly.

Friday Morning: I put her on the lunge line again, doing more walk/trot and trot/walk transitions, added the side reins, did some more transitions, this time insisting on a faster response when I asked for the walk. The I asked for the canter again. The the left the up transition was somewhat better, though the canter was still somewhat fast and unbalanced.

The amazing thing was to the right. She gave a beautiful transtion, a lovely canter, and came right back to a trot when I asked. To make sure it wasn't a fluke I asked again - same result so I quit right there, fed treats and told her how good she was.

Today Back on the lunge line, but this time she offered a nice canter in each direction even before I added the side reins, so I skipped that part and got on to ride. After a few minutes of walk and trot work I asked for the left canter. I was a little fast and unbalanced, but not bad. The I asked for the right lead and got a nice transition and a lovely smooth canter. When I asked she came right back to a trot and I called it a day.

Now I am looking forward to tomorrows ride and possibly showing WTC at a little show I am taking her to next weekend, though they do have an adult W/T division if the canter isn't ready. Then the next step is adding a few jumps and see where were at.

I also have an update on the other 2 FLF that we picked up with Baylee:

They are both with the same owner.

Golden Ladder (now Fiona) is doing really well after a few setbacks this spring. She is leased out and according to her owner she turning into a fancy horse. The person that owns her is still deciding whether to keep her or not.

Smack Dab Gab (now Maggie - sorry but this a registered name that is awful, she was not in the listings) is also coming along really nice and will probably stay with her owner because she is so much fun.

Christa

Default Pass the popcorn

Quote Originally Posted by buffalo colleen View Post
    Congratulations to the J team -- way to go at Stuart!!!
    ... I completely second FF's astute comments about your dressage test; ...
    BC - I armchair ride with the best of 'em...

ROFL!

FF

Default Finally got Ries to an event!!

We got a break from Murphy's Law! Ries has been consistently in work for a bit now and I finally got him to an unrecognized event. The off again/on again lameness turned out to be an abscess that went up not down and finally popped out the top of his foot. It was very ugly, but the NQR issues up front have completely resolved. Stoic fellow - never responded to hoof testers and it was in a weird spot.

Anyhow, we did a beginner novice mini trial. Ries was a trooper and Jimmy Chung went beginner novice also. Ries was 4th on his dressage score and Chunk had a run out on stadium and was 8th. Both are such good boys and act like they have been to a ton of shows. Both have been to one combined test in their lives and a hunter pace last year. The two really love each other and separate really well to go do their respective rounds. Very different personalities though. Chunk is a total party boy and Ries is so serious unless treats are involved.

We have a lot of technical areas to improve in stadium but enough scope to go clear with some rough moments. Cross country was awesome and Ries was a bit perplexed when it was over, he was just getting into it. He was a little reserved over the first three and then jumped almost everything else beautifully and right out of stride.

Dressage was good with a very generous score. We got an 8 for gaits and got dinged for tense transitions. I am pretty sure that if it was recognized we would have had ten more points on our score, but the judge was quite kind.

Hopefully we will get to a recognized event in late August. In the mean time, I need a nap. I took my warmblood to a recognized dressage show on Saturday and did the event today with Ries. Oy!
    Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbreds
    fingerlakesfinesttbs.com

I've got a new FLF to share adventures with. AP Light aka Sadie had 62 starts and at 6 has clean legs. I've been looking at all the listings in search of a broodmare prospect, so when I saw her I jumped. I think she'll make some super sporthorse babies.

In the meantime she'll be my trail horse and play around at dressage.

Here are some pics:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3&l=5ce01eca72
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

Default Keen Isabella update

Happy to announce that Keen Isabella is in foal to Sea Accounts!

We would love a black blingy baby, but know regardless of the dressing, it will be an incredible athlete!
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

So happy to hear of all the great updates!

So I have to share 2 pictures of Bailey & I. I got married yesterday, and my wonderful MOH gave me the best present. She had Bailey trucked to the park I got married at for pictures. He was such a good boy, even with kayakers boating by. I really can't wait to see all the pictures, but the photographer sent me 2 for preview. I didn't think I'd get to see him on my wedding day, and somehow getting to spend some time with him made me a lot less nervous walking down the aisle!

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...44932061_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...41581781_n.jpg
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010

Cyriz, congrats on the baby! Can't wait to see what it looks like!

BNO, a few things:
    1. LOVELY pictures!
    2. What a great MOH (mother of heart?)
    3. What on earth are you doing on COTH the day after your wedding???? Surely you have better things to do!

Princess is doing well. I rode him Thursday for the first time since The Incident and he was quite good. Rode again on Saturday and we even trotted over poles! And afterward, he managed to leave the grooming stall without walking into the wall or tripping and falling over the threshold! Yes, that is something noteworthy. He's, ah, not the sharpest knife in the drawer... There's nothing physically wrong with him, he's just either stupid or he doesn't pay attention (or both). Walking over poles, he manages to hit almost every single one. I'm thinking he doesn't have much of a career as a jumper....
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    Cyriz, congrats on the baby! Can't wait to see what it looks like!

BNO, a few things:
    1. LOVELY pictures!
    2. What a great MOH (mother of heart?)
    3. What on earth are you doing on COTH the day after your wedding???? Surely you have better things to do!
    Haha, thank you! MOH-Maid of Honor. Honestly, we don't honeymoon for another couple of months (just took the next 2 days off of work), so after all the stress of wedding stuff, being on CoTH is my relaxation, lol.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010

Default Beautiful in black and white

Quote Originally Posted by BoysNightOut View Post
    ...my wonderful MOH gave me the best present. She had Bailey trucked to the park I got married at for pictures...

That is just the COOLEST thing ever! Way to go MOH!

oh, and congrats on your nuptials BNO!

FF

Quote Originally Posted by BoysNightOut View Post

So I have to share 2 pictures of Bailey & I. I got married yesterday, and my wonderful MOH gave me the best present. She had Bailey trucked to the park I got married at for pictures. He was such a good boy, even with kayakers boating by. I really can't wait to see all the pictures, but the photographer sent me 2 for preview. I didn't think I'd get to see him on my wedding day, and somehow getting to spend some time with him made me a lot less nervous walking down the aisle!

Ahhhhh, that's so cool.

OMG BNO -- those photos of you in your gorgeous wedding dress with Bailey take my breath away. I am wiping off happy tears as I type this. Your husband had better be one handsome and super guy (of course he is -- or you wouldn't have married him!), because Bailey is obviously giving him a serious run for his money for your heart.
    I think we need to use these photos in some of our FL Finest publicity if you and your wedding photographer can give us permission! OTTBs are so chill that they can even be a guest at your wedding!

Thank you all! I still can't believe how good he was. I almost started crying when my friend drove up to the trailer, haha. Back at the wedding, I had to stop the photographer & ask to see all the pictures. She took some really great ones, so I can't wait until we get the DVD in a couple of weeks.

And BC, I'd totally be willing to let some pictures be used for FLF publicity! This was only his 3rd time away from the barn this summer, and about the only thing he did was just constantly need to walk or eat. He was so well-behaved & sweet. OTTB's make such great companions!
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010

BNO, those pictures are lovely!! Congratulations on getting married! How cool to have had your horse there for some photo ops, I am sure you will treasure those pics forever.

Fancy aka Slate Grey and Little FG made their leadline debut last weekend, which I posted about. It was a really awesome day! My friend MiasPal then rode her in a few flat classes and ribboned in every one. She was a little zippy but behaved herself and MiasPal did a nice job riding her through it.

She is positively lazy at home so our goal has been working on forward. (the irony with an OTTB, eh?) She is popping fences like a pro and has the most rhythmic canter. She is also the sweetest, kindest thing and adores little people... which is great, as she is safe for my 6 year old daughter to groom and handle (with supervision, of course.)

Love all the FL updates, it is fun to watch everyone's horses progress and cheer them on as they get out into the world!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

I just have to share this picture of River so everyone can laugh at him .

Oh, and apparently he and Dr. Lignom's neighbors, a mare and her almost-3-month-old filly have figured out how to open the gate separating them. The person who fed breakfast arrived to find them all together, and all quite happy. So now Riv is buddies with a gorgeous little filly.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.