The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 89 of 113 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,780 of 2257

Danceronice, I totally understand. I've been fortunate to be able to find good companion horses for my guy since '07 when I had to put down horse #2 leaving me with just one retired critter. Of the 3 companions that have been here, one is buried in the back field and the other 2 were situations where the owner had more horses than stalls in the barn. All the owners were not cheap thankfully but I did have to send one horse home only because he got too fat on the grass pastures and I had to limit their turnout to 6 hrs/day and that wasn't fair for my horse.

I do hope you find something works and even more important an job to pay the bills. (((((HUGS))))) sent to you and your critters from me and my critters.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

Smile Good thing I don't have to enable the Pink Madness

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    (The only thing he doesn't need is the open front and ankle boots... but they were $25!!! For a set of 4!! And they came in a nice raspberry color!)
    I found a set in PINK and was going to send you the link... but since you already have them in raspberry, I guess I am safe and will not tempt the Gelding-Wearing-Pink-Furies to visit me and Cuervo. BTW, I got the same set in a nice light blue, for the same bargain price . Can't wait to use them next show season come fall.

Danceronice, Sooo sorry about the loss of your job. I've been feeling the pinch but may be close to a resolution (still waiting to hear/start although I have been told it is a definite go as soon as the second unit is stocked...) but I know exactly how it feels to have the bottom drop out from under you... hope you land standing up!

FF
    Last edited by Friskyflea; Jun. 24, 2012 at 08:03 PM.

Default Nice Lesson

Quote Originally Posted by BoysNightOut View Post
    Finally have our first video of us riding together. Bailey (Jackie's Punt) has had a hard time learning what canter was. We still have a ways to go, but he's already improving soooo much now that I have some help from a trainer. I can't wait until we're good enough to get out to local events with the rest of you guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SwpqU7KF-g&feature=plcp
    I like you coach's emphasis on softness - you did a great job with Bailey!

FF

Default Goosebumps...

slightly envious here...

outstanding first training outing.

can't wait to see stadium.

FF

here it is

stadium ground camera

stadium helmet cam

our dressage test

also I should mention, this is the event that last year we made our debut for our first recognized event/first BN. I feel so proud how far we have come!

Great videos Eventing J. I will admit I got kinda dizzy watching the helmet cams though.

Am I guessing correctly that she's NOT in season for a change?

Hope to see you at the GVRDC Firecracker Jumping Derby next Sunday.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

Thanks, msj...I'm crossing my fingers that the museum scheduled to open near my parents might actually go ahead on schedule or the museum around here that's reshuffling might wind up with an opening. I'd rather NOT move states away if I didn't have to! (Though Winchester would put me awfully close to the Thoroughbred Celebration shows at the Horse Center...)

Default Oliver's First Show!

So Oliver just got home from his first show and he was amazing!! It was an open AQHA show at Chemung County Fair Grounds. We got there (him and a quarter horse from our barn) on Friday afternoon. We unloaded in a small field nearer the busy road, next to an outdoor ring, a bunch of barns, a tack shop, etc. I think he called maybe once and spent the rest of the time being super alert and looking around but quite. We then walked down to the stalls which are slightly downhill and past rings and a bunch of barns and even the standardbred track was visible. He just walked calmly besides me, other than his head being straight up in the air looking around .

We got him and the other horse (whose show name is Commander Cody...if anyone wondered where that name came from ) situated in their stalls and unloaded some tack. There was supposed to be a hunt seat clinic starting about a half an hour after we got there so we promptly brushed and tacked up both horses. At this point I thought I'd have to lunge Oliver and that he was gonna be all nervous but we didn't have a lunge line nearby so I ended up just getting on and going into a ring to ride around a bit. Although he was a little more forward, and his head a little higher than usual, he was actually very good and listened well to my leg and hands. We rode for about 10 minutes (W/T) and decided to go up to the indoor to see when the clinic was starting. Turns out we got there right when they wanted people to come in so in we went! There were probably 10-12 horses inside in both english and western gear. Oliver was a little nervous at first since horses were going both directions and he didn't like them trotting/jogging or cantering/loping towards him...but he got over it fast. They started the clinic with the western pleasure people so we just walked around a bunch but they finally got to the english eq part and by then Oliver was completely relaxed and I actually got to focus on my equitation rather than worrying about a green horse . The clinician would pull out one or two people at a time and have them demonstrate different things and Oliver and I ended up being one of the first people called to trot around, canter (although it was his right lead and wasn't the prettiest), two point position, and "double up" posting of two beats up, one down. Oliver was super relaxed and it was probably the best way to break in a green horse to his first show! He even had his head down all pretty towards the end.

Fast forward to today. I took Oliver out for schooling in the morning and once before our classes finally started. He had more energy today but calmed down even faster than Saturday. I was able to walk him all over the show grounds by himself, past cars and water trucks, rings being raked, flashy western horses with big fake tails and those super shiny halters, etc. He never even batted an eyelash! He was like an old pro - his ad saying that he'd make a great first time OTTB buyer's horse was so spot on! I only ended up doing two adult walk trot classes with him, one with two other people and one with one other person. The one class even had a little pattern and he did an excellent job of trotting circles, stopping, and backing. We ended up placing last in both, and in his defense he was excellent and did nothing wrong, but he was against seasoned quarter horses with their super slow trot and low head . However a second and a third gave me a red and yellow ribbon...and his racing colors were red and yellow...so I was actually pretty excited about it .

Here's a few pics cause I'm such a proud mom

All purdy.
    Waiting for his pattern to start.
    Trottin' it up!
    My OTTB and Finger Lakes Finest, Sunny Boy 'n Ben E and the old man, Salvator.

Check out Second Chance Thoroughbreds and like us on Facebook!

Default Baylee turning into a trail horse

I haven't been working Baylee (Bayshore Gal - Sunny Boy 'n Ben E's (Oliver from previous post) 1/2 sister) as much as I would like, but what work we have done has been productive. At home she is getting more consistent with stretching for the bit and relaxing under saddle at the walk and trot. I haven't done any canter work yet, but maybe next week after she gets her shoes reset Tuesday. That will be 6 weeks but she looks overdue, so next time we will probably go with 5 weeks.

Yesterday we decided to ship over to another farm, where I have taken her before, for another trail ride. Last time she was pretty good, but was still getting upset about strange horses working or being led around her.

This time she was calm and mostly paid no attention to the strange horses, including the 2 that accompanied us, along with her stablemate, on the trail. We started in the arena and even with 3 other horses she was quiet and willing. When we got on the trail she was nervous to start, but soon settled down and was willing to follow her stablemate or lead, though following the strange horses was still an issue and I need to work on rating her walk as she quickly outwalked the 2 slower horses. A couple of times her stablemate was leading and spooked at something silly on trail and Baylee didn't spook and was perfectly willing to take the lead and go on through the "scary" spot. At times she even seemed to be saying "just get out of the way and let me go there is nothing to be afraid of" . She is also learning to deal with uneven footing and balance herself going up and down hill - all skills she needs. The one water crossing did end up with a jump, but that will come with time as she does go through water when I get a chance to practice at home.

Overall excellent progress that makes me think she will be an awesome trail horse once she gets some more mileage.

I also went shopping this week and finally bought a safety vest so when she is ready I can take her to a cross country school and eventually some eventing. I still need to find a jumping saddle, but for small stuff the old Stubben dressage saddle I have been using will work fine.

Sorry I don't have any new pictures. Maybe next weekend.

Christa

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by rubygirl1968 View Post
    How is Holly Time doing? He is a fine hunk of a horseflesh
    Holly is ready to make his debut as the thoroughbred ambassador for our summer program. I found an exercise saddle on Craig's list and we have our winner's circle all set to go for photo ops. He is so calm and quiet, loves to be groomed and give pony rides.

Default Go Jolly Go.

Quote Originally Posted by EventingJ View Post
    here it is

stadium ground camera

stadium helmet cam

our dressage test

also I should mention, this is the event that last year we made our debut for our first recognized event/first BN. I feel so proud how far we have come!
    very nice. She sure is loving all that jumping!

FF

Love, love, love all the updates!!!! Exciting time as summer is finally here (then again, we really didn't have a winter to speak of lol)...

Itch is proving to be an exceptional pony! I had thoughts he'd be a nice hunter, but he has completed 1/2 a HT and an eventing clinic - and he's taking a liking to it hint, hint, BC

I say half a HT because we did dressage and xc, but stadium the next day had 60mph winds and decided not the best conditions for a greenies first stadium lol

the next weekend we attended a clinic and had an absolute blast! I'm hoping for some video of him jumping because he is impressive with his knees and is coming along nicely!

here are some pictures of us schooling xc and going down the bank - I think this was his second time down. He never wavered and is a complete joy on xc!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2230907...n/photostream/

Quote Originally Posted by jollytrak View Post
    Love, love, love all the updates!!!! Exciting time as summer is finally here (then again, we really didn't have a winter to speak of lol)...

Itch is proving to be an exceptional pony! I had thoughts he'd be a nice hunter, but he has completed 1/2 a HT and an eventing clinic - and he's taking a liking to it hint, hint, BC

I say half a HT because we did dressage and xc, but stadium the next day had 60mph winds and decided not the best conditions for a greenies first stadium lol

the next weekend we attended a clinic and had an absolute blast! I'm hoping for some video of him jumping because he is impressive with his knees and is coming along nicely!

here are some pictures of us schooling xc and going down the bank - I think this was his second time down. He never wavered and is a complete joy on xc!

Oh, I love Itch! I'm so glad to read this update!

Sepowell -- Itch was definitely worth the wait!!!!! he is mellow, but has some spunk and tackles most things very willingly! Must brag on my little boy His first ditch was him looking and stomping his feet to okay.... over we go! and first time seeing a liver pool was whatever... it's a jump - never even looked at it, although he did clear it by 3 feet lol

...and he is usually the babysitter for the more 'mature' horses and even lead another greenie through their first water obstacle (his third time ever in water - first on this schooling course), he's an amateurs dream!
    Last edited by jollytrak; Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:30 PM.

Default Timer and TIlly

Updates on my Finests:
    We took Time Piece to his second hunter horse show last weekend. We chose it because the venue has a big grass outside course, and we figured there would be plenty for him to look at with the scary jumper jumps mixed in with the hunter fences. But he hardly gave anything the hairy eyeball. He stayed relaxed, handled standing on the trailer for a long time, and he nicely went around, in an even rhythm, just stepping over the little jumps. In his first round he even did his lead changes, which can be hard even for old pros on an open grass field. He got a bit snarky about the lead changes in his next trips, so that gives us something to work on. He was lovely and soft and responsive in the under saddle class, with a nice flowing stride and good reach from his shoulders, showing the fruits of the work we have been doing on getting him to stretch out and down. The judge said he was a lovely mover. For the whole day, we collected a bunch of blue and red ribbons! Here is the video of his first trip, the one with all the lead changes:
    http://youtu.be/z5cPl1ZCUwQ
    Not bad for only the second horse show! And now to show off his versatility, we plan to take him to twilight dressage next week, and do 1st level tests.

As for the amazing Tilly, I am succumbing to all the prodding and I have decided I will ride her in the upcoming GVH event July 7-8, Beginner Novice level-- my official eventing debut! Hunter rider takes a big step to the "dark side"! To practice, I am riding her in a jumper derby this weekend, and then in twlight dressage next week.

Some may be wondering why there have been no upates for a while on my thrid Finest, Riser (Fast Approach). Poor guy has been on stall rest since mid-April. He got a nasty kick just above the knee by some pasture mate; no fracture, but a deep bone bruise. I have been learning that these can take longer than a fracture to fully heal. We are hand walking and doing a bit of ground work. He is now almost sound at the jog again, so I am hoping that the next vet evaluation clears him for turn out, and then back to work. The time off may turn out in the long run to be a blessing in disguise, since we never gave him a day off from the track. A chance to completely lose the vestiges of racetrack muscles, and then to start the rebuilding process for his new disciplines. With Riser's mellow attitude, he has been a model citizen on stall rest, and despite spending his days cooped up he has been well behaved to walk, and enjoys the bit of grazing. He spends his days looking out the big window of his stall, wondering why he can't be out there.

Quote Originally Posted by buffalo colleen View Post
    As for the amazing Tilly, I am succumbing to all the prodding and I have decided I will ride her in the upcoming GVH event July 7-8, Beginner Novice level-- my official eventing debut! Hunter rider takes a big step to the "dark side"! To practice, I am riding her in a jumper derby this weekend, and then in twlight dressage next week.
    MWUAHAHAHA! See I told you, you could do it! You will have a blast, GVH was my first recognized event with the Goobs a couple years ago (who is actually going this year too!). Not to mention Tilly-the-Wonder-Horse is awesome on course, I'm kinda glad I'm not competing against you guys! Have a good time on Sunday at the derby and I'll see you at Twilight.

bc - glad to hear you will be riding at gvh!! it will be a blast I'm sure I will be doing my second training there I decided to opt out of the firecracker derby (several reasons - one I'm working (overnights) this weekend and while I've done it before, it sucks and my body hates showing after being up all night, and two she showed last weekend and will show next weekend (GVH) and the weekend after (Stuart) she could use this weekend off), but I do plan on being at twilight

Sorry to hear about Riser, he was one of my favorites from the listing last year.

timer looks absolutely fabulous, great work

Default Ditch monster conquered...

OK, it was a little ditch, but the first time Cuervo saw it about 3-4 months ago there were alligators lurking in it... (allegedly, according to Cuervo). Took him to school at our local up and coming eventing facility with 2 goals: doing the ditch and the up bank. I had to circle the ditch several times: there are 2 ditches right next to each other and I did figure 8s around them. Once he stopped looking at them sideways and was concentrating on the figure 8s I took him elsewhere to do some log jumps he's OK with to get him in the groove. Then went off to do the bank: only had one run out - at sidepass speed, but after that he was jumping up no problem. Didn't do the bank down b/c it is 2 strides away and it was too much for me to negotiate in the heat. Brought him back to the ditch and after much cajoling and sideways salsa he launched over it like his caboose was on fire. *Gods I love my neck strap!*

Did the ditch about 4 times then put a little course together with the ditch, some of the logs, a little down "bank" (a log with a tiny drop on the landing side) circle to some barrels downhill then the up bank. He was getting tired and scrambled up that one then something funny happened. I could feel him stepping funny on his RH (the one with the old scar) and fearing he hurt himself I halted him and catapulted off so I could check him and.....
    ***POOF*** off went my air jacket. HAHAHAHAHA!

This is the first time it has deployed unintentionally (or at all). It feels like a whole upper body mammogram...

The good news - he didn't startle too badly and neither did I. I was holding on to the reins and he just moved away a few steps.
    The better news - I know I can trust that sucker to blow up as advertised! You really do feel like you are swathed in bubble wrap
    The best news of all - Cuervo didn't have any injuries or lameness: his galloping boot had slipped down so he was stepping on it and therefore the funky gait.

I figured the blow up doll routine was my signal from the cosmos to call it a day so I just walked him to the trailer.

All's well that ends well.

The rest of the summer we will be working on our flatwork until the heat is not so stifling that I can tackle the down bank

FF

Default Baylee goes to her first show

I took advantage of a little open show around the corner from me (2 miles away, $5/class entries) and took Baylee over for some experience. I did show her in the first class of the day, an open english halter class. I didn't think about it until after the class, but I showed her in her bridle, which, of course, means put the bridle on at the trailer and walk to the ring. Well at the track it is put the bridle on and walk to the paddock before the race. I will just say that I did get her to stand long enough for the judge to see her and trotting out wasn't a problem though stopping was a little dicey . I was glad there was only 1 other horse in the ring (a 10 yr old OTTB - don't know the name though) and he wasn't bothered by Baylee's antics.

After the class I took her bridle off and just led her around with the halter. When they pinned the next class she got nervous about the applause and would not settle back down for awhile. Overall we hung around for ~2 hours, until Baylee settled down and was pretty much ignoring the announcer and the applause. There is another show in 2 weeks that I plan to take her to and maybe even ride her in.

No pictures from the show, but I did take a few of her all cleaned up after I turned her out this evening. They can be seen at:

http://photobucket.com/bayshoregal

Christa

FF! Sounds like you had a great time schooling, what a dramatic ending I've heard those things go off before, I can't imagine how alarming it must be being so close to it, haha.