The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 53 of 113 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 2256

Angry there's always someone or someones willing to be the fly in the ointment

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    ...we are not, as we have thought all of these years, a part of FLTAP. At this time, that organization has expressed doubts about accepting us as part of their 501(c)(3).

There is another 501(c)(3) organization willing to have us, but, currently, the track has not made any decision as to whether or not to let them onto track property. There is resistance to that idea.
    W-O-W... I cannot (but in another sense, totally CAN) believe that this tug-o-war is going on. It is going to be the horses that suffer. I doubt very much that FLTAP can place as many horses and with as little overhead cost, as the backside volunteers have and my guess is, sadly knowing too much about human behavior, that they see the trainer's listing as competition, even when the only real goal here is to find a new home and career for OTTBs. I could say more but I won't, and anyone reading this should know that this is MY OPINION and my opinion only.

Sad, but when things like this happen, it always boils down to politics, and the fact that the majority of humans s*ck.

FriskyF
    as subtle as a brick flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by RooMB4 View Post
    Would CANTER take you? You could be the NY chapter.
    Yes, indeed. CANTER has been very willing to work with us, but certain members of FLTAP have not been supportive to allow us to work with CANTER.

As Louise said, we are worried, but at this point there is nothing we can do.

And FriskyFlea... I also personally believe that the Trainer Listings has been an incredible asset to the Race Track and the FLTAP program. We always thought we were part of FLTAP and were proud to be so and supported them. I also personally believed that together the two programs complimented each other and I really, really don't understand without getting into the minds of the powers that be. We're trying not to think of all the horses not being placed this month as we'd all go insane.
    Last edited by maunder; May. 18, 2011 at 02:53 PM. Reason: added more

is there anything we can do? anyone we could send emails to about how much we appreciate your photos and write-ups on the horses?
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Quote Originally Posted by maunder View Post
    Yes, indeed. CANTER has been very willing to work with us, but certain members of FLTAP have not been supportive to allow us to work with CANTER.
    WTF?! They won't let you work for them and they won't let you work for anyone else? Some people's big egos are going to screw over a whole lot of horses . Is there anything we can do? I'd be happy to write or call someone about this. This situation is absolutely unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    WTF?! They won't let you work for them and they won't let you work for anyone else? Some people's big egos are going to screw over a whole lot of horses . Is there anything we can do? I'd be happy to write or call someone about this. This situation is absolutely unbelievable.
    It's definately a fruitbat situation, but I just don't have an answer.

If there's anything we can do to get the Powers That Be to take their heads out of their butts, just let us know.

I really appreciate the support you all are giving us. As maunder said, we have always been so incredibly proud to be a part, we thought, of FLTAP. The idea of volunteering for an organization that was an innovator, in so many ways, buoyed us, during so many hard times, like last year, when we had the EHV1 outbreak at the end of the season. We always took pride in doing everything ourselves, and paying for everything we used, so that we didn't cost the Adoption Program anything.

It was a real jolt to learn that we weren't a part of that organization, and, even more, to find out that they really don't want us. But, as I said, we're working diligently to try and find a solution.

I'm going to ask you to hold off contacting anyone for a while, at least. We have one iron in the fire, and I don't want to do anything that might, in any way, disturb negotiations. If that fails, however, then I am going to ask for everyone's help. Keep your eyes on the Off Course forum as I will probably start a new thread, if and when we need your help.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

keeping my fingers crossed for you guys and the horses...

bureaucracy sucks.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Default Proctoscopy ASAP

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    If there's anything we can do to get the Powers That Be to take their heads out of their butts, just let us know.
    Ditto that. FLTAP and the trainer's listing really serve 2 VERY DIFFERENT BUYER POPULATIONS. The listing serves folks comfortable enough to buy horses off the track with (mostly) no additional training or evaluation under saddle whereas FLTAP is for people that need a bit more reassurance and info as to what these horses might do when ridden away from the racetrack environment. There is no way on this green earth that FLTAP could take in all the horses placed through the listings into their facility prior to their placement, it is just logistically impossible. Their behavior speaks more of their ego rather that their purported mission.

I shall be most happy to write a formal, logically argued and restrained letter to the racetrack's powers-that-be as to why FLTAP's behavior is not in the best interest of placing retired TBs...

FF

***fuming***

Quote Originally Posted by Friskyflea View Post
    Ditto that. FLTAP and the trainer's listing really serve 2 VERY DIFFERENT BUYER POPULATIONS. The listing serves folks comfortable enough to buy horses off the track with (mostly) no additional training or evaluation under saddle whereas FLTAP is for people that need a bit more reassurance and info as to what these horses might do when ridden away from the racetrack environment. There is no way on this green earth that FLTAP could take in all the horses placed through the listings into their facility prior to their placement, it is just logistically impossible. Their behavior speaks more of their ego rather that their purported mission.

I shall be most happy to write a formal, logically argued and restrained letter to the racetrack's powers-that-be as to why FLTAP's behavior is not in the best interest of placing retired TBs...

FF

***fuming***
    Ditto this. I am far more prepared to take a horse straight from a trainer, no strings attached, than go through adoption hoops. Refusing to deal for some reason means that those horses, which FLTAP couldn't possibly take on, won't get placed as easily to private homes. Heck, what would have happened to Karakorum Patriot and Midnight Secret without the Trainer Listings?

And CANTER is well-established proof that both functions can exist in the same organization.

Default Thanks for your support and concern

Please take the lead from Louise to refrain from turning this into a fire-storm and campaign, even though I'm chomping at the bit to get some outrage going on! I'm as concerned and POd as the rest of you. This is nonsense and horses will suffer.

Suffice it to say that Louise is working within channels to get this ironed out, and we all hope that there will be a reasonable solution to this kink. I've been receiving calls from trainers who want our help and it's killing me not to help them, especially because I can't divulge the nature of the problem without casting blame.

Default Trainer Listing/FLTAP situation

OMG what frustrating and depressing news to hear about FLTAP's position. I utterly agree with all of you who have pointed out how important and necessary BOTH services are to helping these wonderful horses find good new homes and careers. I, too, like Foundationmare, am chomping at the bit to do anything I can to help, incuding raving and firing off letters and calls and texts and e-mails, or even trying to be rational or begging and pleading, with powers that be whenever you give us the green light. If it has to come down to publicly shaming FLTAP, I have very strong connections with people in the horse racing media, since my sister in law co-owns Thoroughbred Daily News and my brother is a sports writer who covers racing for ESPN.com, NYTimes, and other publications. I stand ready to unleash the press dogs.
    I have my fingers crossed that Louise's diplomacy will win the day and work out a solution.
    To hear that you dedicated volunteers are getting calls from trainers but you cannot help them and their horses breaks my heart. Even though it is entirely understandable why you cannot go on the backside right now, is there any way you can at least take the information about the horse over the phone or by e-mail and post a basic description and contact phone number on the trainer list website, so some of these horses might have a chance to find a home while a better solution is being worked out?

Quote Originally Posted by buffalo colleen View Post
    Even though it is entirely understandable why you cannot go on the backside right now, is there any way you can at least take the information about the horse over the phone or by e-mail and post a basic description and contact phone number on the trainer list website, so some of these horses might have a chance to find a home while a better solution is being worked out?
    Unfortunately no. We cannot participate at all in the Listings if we are not covered under a 501(c)3.

What a darn shame. You ladies do such wonderful work, I can't believe this is happening.

I guess what I don't get is why FLTAP has such resistance....yet has a link to your Trainer Listings page right on their website? I know it's been there for quite awhile as well.

Just wow. I'll gladly write some angry letters if it comes down to it! This is supposed to be for helping the horses. I know I wouldn't have found Bailey if it wasn't for you gals!
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

I don't think anyone's breaking out pitchforks and torches just yet, foundationmare, but it might behoove FLTAP's board to look at responses like those on here and consider how it looks that so many people are supportive of the Trainer Listings and how unfavorably they will look on FLTAP's bringing it to a stop.

Default Buffalo Colleen

You may be able to help us in the long-term. I recognize that you and yours have some connections that could be invaluable. We will keep you in the wings and certainly tap into your experience with the Listings and draw on your connections when it is appropriate.

Thank you so much for your support! Kisses to Keeper!

Default Danceronice

Totally agree. This will absolutely NOT reflect well on them. The peeps on the backside don't need any more ammunition.

As for the response from all of you who have taken on a Finest, your input will be drawn on in the future. We must be very careful to not create a situation that is so antagonistic that we are halted in our efforts. I certainly hope that it doesn't come to that.

So sorry to hear about this situation. I agree that it's really quite silly (to put it kindly) that they won't take you but don't want CANTER to take you either.

IMO, there is absolutely no competition between the trainer listings and the FLTAP horses. I personally will not consider a horse who is listed as an "adoption" as there are just too many hoops. I feel for the horses who will ultimately take the brunt of this.

People suck
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

Quote Originally Posted by foundationmare View Post
    Totally agree. This will absolutely NOT reflect well on them. The peeps on the backside don't need any more ammunition.

As for the response from all of you who have taken on a Finest, your input will be drawn on in the future. We must be very careful to not create a situation that is so antagonistic that we are halted in our efforts. I certainly hope that it doesn't come to that.
    Foundation Mare, Louise and Maunder, you all know I had a FL Finest many years ago and some of you know I've made some pretty decent monetary contributions to FLTAP as does the current Director, Wezo Pierson. I also know there are a LOT of very worthwhile equine charities out there besides FLTAP. So far this yr, I've donated $1000 to Old Friends Farm (OFF) as some of you also remember I was willing to give Karakorum Patriot a forever home at my farm,which is why OFF got the donation this yr and will continue to receive a hefty donation annually. While I'd like to support my local track, I have no problems supporting another one if the powers to be don't come through for the backside ladies.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!