The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 113 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Default Somewhereinbetween

I finally got some pictures of the biggest little girl. She doesn't have a barn name yet, nothing I've tried has seemed like it fit, so we are calling her Somewhere for now. That might stick, who knows.

I wrote earlier my DH and I were standing with our mouths open watching her trot in the ring on her first turn out. Here she is trotting in the field today, and her lovely canter. She had a few wild thing moments too, like this one, proving she like the Virginia mud we have going on!

One last one of Somewhere standing still I think she's happy, and I know I am thrilled with her, I can't wait to get on her!
    WestWind Farms
    Love means attention, which means looking after the things we love. We call this stable management.
    - George H. Morris

Just one word, Ishi.

WOW!
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

She looks wonderfully happy.... that trot photo made me say, "WOW". We don't get to see them move other than a walk in and out of the shedrow.

She looks very athletic!

Ditto what Louise said! And double it!!!

Those are terrific photos and really do capture the movement you're talking about. I love the canter shot: looks like she's off for a morning gallop. And I bet there were a few bucks and farts when that third one was taken!

Beautiful set up as well. And I like Somewhere, as that's what I've been calling her all along anyway, and I think it's pretty.

I'm just tickled pink for both of you!

Margie

Wow, lovely pictures everyone!!! So great to see.

Our little lady is settling in...the farrier is out tomorrow to take off the plates. She's so quiet, and is settling in a lot differently than the mare I got last year from Pimlico. Two very different horses, for sure!! Lexie is still such a baby, so dainty. She takes everything in stride, though, and seems to be happy. I do think she is really sore, so she will have the winter off with maybe just a bit of walking under saddle. She did have that bad crash at the start of her last race, so she deserves some rest.
    I have a few pics, will upload them as soon as possible.

We love her, and she is a welcome addition to our barn

Doing the happy dance here! Great news Lori! And I'm popping those chocolates like crazy! Thank you! Please continue with the updates.

Margie

GREAT photos! What a lovely mare, I am so happy she is in a good home....

Somewhere is stunning in those photos!!

What beautiful horses everybody has, and I am just so happy for all the horses who ended up with such wonderful new owners!

Can't wait to see Silent Reflection (love that name) photos and any others!

Thank you again everyone.

I'm glad I did a liniment wash on Lucky's legs yesterday, when it was still "warm" enough to have rain...we're back to snow again! I think his poor Florida-bred system is still objecting to staying up here for this winter crap.

I should have my saddle back next week. That means it'll also be time to see if one of our girths fits, or if I have to go shopping for that, too.

Gladdened to read another update about Lucky. I encourage every and all to share their pictures and progress notes about all the Finests scattered hither and yon! Keeping everyone apprised about your positive experiences will only help to continue to generate interest in these horses once they're done at the track. While we're delighted with the banner year we've had, especially the hearty and generous response to Louise's now legendary thread, we know that the work to find homes for these marvelous horses will never end.

Your collective positive reports lay the groundwork for continued success in coming months and years, as this is an ongoing endeavor. If this year is any indication of what is yet to come, I'm very optimistic! COTHers rock!

BTW, Danceronice, I did some per diem work with Jared earlier in the year and Lucky to Cope struck a nerve with me. At age 7 he's considered somewhat of a veteran on the track and he was/is such a classy fellow! I just "clicked" with him! You don't need me to tell you that you have a gem on your hands! And, BTW, you may want to let him read the posts from fellow COTHers who are enjoying sub zero, VERY sub zero, windchills. Brrrrrr!

Lucky is winning plenty of new fans in Michigan! He is incredibly well-mannered and absolutely not what I think they expected from an OTTB. Gentleman when it comes to being handled, and insanely patient with the pesky kitten, even when I stuffed her in my jacket so I could groom in peace. (Anyone want a very small, very loud kitten who would totally fit in an Express Mail box?)

He would have to stick his Florida-bred nose out of the barn to read COTH, though! I should look on the bright side, AFAIK he hasn't gone out and turned himself into a mud puppy. But then I wasn't at the barn today....

Ishi - Somewhere is definitely a WOW!!! What a lovely, lovely mare. Can't wait to see her as she progresses.

Chequer Cat and Red Tail's Wish (Gracie) have settled right in. I moved Chequer over to the boarding barn a couple of days ago and he made the transition beautifully. There he's turned out with my daughter's TB Conrad - Chequer had a few squeals, a couple of rears, then they played in the snow. Pretty uneventful. Today we had our first lunge lesson. Only spent about 10 minutes as there were 3 other horses in the indoor. But he understood what I was asking, so I'm confident that he'll pick it up very quickly. The other horses didn't bother him in the least. Walked over a bunch of poles. he finally got very distracted as they were feeding in the barn. We spend alot of time just hanging around on a lead chatting with people - he's pretty patient about standing around. I'd like to say that although he has his winter coat, it is healthy and SHINY.

Gracie has turned out to be quite a 'talker'. Of course it's because she always thinks there's food coming She is as sweet as they come. We're working on trust. She's also a beaver....even though she has hay, she's really chewing the fence. I'm not sure if it's because she's not happy outside or if it's something else.

And now that Chequer is at the farm, my gray TB James has come back home and is in the paddock next to Gracie. I think James is enamoured with Gracie Although his hay is on the other side of the paddock, he spends most of his time in the corner near her!!! He's a food hound, so that's why that's unusual.

I've added a few pictures of Gracie to the Finest album. Pictures of Chequer will be coming when I can get my daughter to hold him for me.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...&id=1415833193

Oh, Suzanne, those two Finests landed in a field of clover! Thank you for the report!

I spoke with the brother of latest trainer of Somewhereinbetween today. He asked about her and I was gushing about what an incredibly wonderful situation she found herself in, how beautiful the facility is and he was really pleased. Thanks to ISHI for that.

Will wait for updates of Chequer Cat and Gracie as well. Suzanne, I can't express how wonderful it was to meet with you, a serious buyer, who can recognize quality stock and step up. I didn't have a history with the filly, but I was enamored with Chequer!

My fingerlakes finest, Brime Cai is a complete sweetheart - very young mind (he was 4 in May) but wants to please. He is adorable, big and gangly - all legs. Have had him since August, and just lightly riding him and letting him learn how to be a horse. My other Fingerlakes finest We Need to Talk (got her two years ago) is my hunterpace and trail horse - she goes anywhere alone, with other horses - she just goes with the flow. We are hoping to try our first event next summer.

Hey 3Mares,

Good report, thank you! Please keep us informed. Sounds like you have a keeper there!

Margie - I understand why you're enamored with Chequer He's an absolute LUV!! My gosh, you can't ask for a sweeter, easier to work with horse. One of the boarders has 2 OTTBs and was very impressed with his looks. Likes the way he's put together and agreed that when he remuscles he'll be a really striking boy (not that he's not already). I told her about taking him away from his lunch and walking him outside in the wind and cold that day at FL and that he just stood like a perfect gentleman with leg cocked. I knew he was a keeper just for that And he has that kind, soft eye that says nice horse

3mares: Love the name 'We Need to Talk'.

Default Fundraising idea

I wonder if someone could locate a place to make custom stitch-on or iron-on patches and design one for Finger Lakes FInest (maybe a big F with a smaller F to the left and the L to the right),
    People could put them on their saddlepads (like warmblood brands) to let folks know where these beauties come from. Or you could put them on jackets, horse blankets/coolers, etc.
    FLTAP or someone could sell them and profits go to help horses.

Fat Dinah, that's a really good idea and I'm mulling it over with some ideas in my noggin. I'm going to be spending the holidays with my large extended family and there are several artists in the mix, including a brother who is a graphic artist. I'm going to ask them to sketch some logos and fly it by Maunder and Louise when we get some ideas.

Thanks for the great idea!

I would TOTALLY get a patch like that. As I said in the Giant Thread, I am so tempted if I show at all to use FLF Lucky To Cope as his show name.