The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 49 of 113 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast

Default silly horses

One of these things is not like the others.

OK, this just gave me the HUGEST CHUCKLE!!! Thanks for sharing.

Cuervo got a huge case of the sillies on St. Patrick's day (tried to scale out of the round pen after the 2 TBs in the nearest paddock decided to have an impromptu snort 'n race) and now has a 3 inch laceration on the inside of the R forearm. It got sutured but he tore a chunk of flesh so it was tight and the top 4 stitches didn't hold (popped today). It is still a smaller wound than if not stitched. Have been hand walking him 2X for 30+ minutes, hung a hay net in his stall, and he happens to have another horse next to him (had eye sx so is also on stall confinemement). He is sooooooooooooooo over being cooped in! To think that 18 mos. ago that was his living arrangement... he so loves being out 24/7 he is indignant... and rather cranky. Well, I can understand, plus his rain rot is back from the stress) and he also has hives since he has been stalled so add all that irritation to not being out with his buddy... arrgggggh!

BF

He might not be rideable, but he's quite entertaining... he's my giant My Little Pony .

Silly Cuervo, it's his own fault he's stuck inside! Maybe this will teach him a lesson about being dumb.

Congrats to everyone who's able to start riding their Finests again (or for the first time)! Thank goodness winter finally seems to be over. You guys have to get pictures!

How's Patton doing? I think he was the cutest horse on the listings last year.

Default A Diva is born

Agreed about his own stupidity... it's like, all of a sudden, he remembered he is six... Here's a view of the cut the day after
    http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/r...aceration1.jpg

The top 4 stitches did not hold, and he has a small (quarter sized) opening there. Today, I turned him out. Too much of a trade off to keep him stalled when the wound needs to dry but would need bandaging to keep it clean with all the dust in a stall. Plus he was insufferable! Pulling on his lead line, walking right over you to get places, not moving away when asked to in the stall. (Note to self: turns to pushy diva when not allowed outside.)

I walked him for a long time in his pasture on a lead line, and put Ram on the adjacent pasture, after a talking to about not stirring the pot by galloping up and down the fence line. Once Cuervo settled to eat in one spot I turned him loose, PLUS, I did all of this at around 1PM (hottest part of day). Cuervo meekly went and stood under the shelter while ram was in his best behavior and just grazed the fence line.

Tomorrow, he is getting his **s ridden (at the walk, but I expect him to be paying 100% attention to the task!).

horses...!!!

Amastrike, Wilson is just too cute for words! He sure doesn't know anything about his knee.

Had to share some pics of Bailey ("Jackie's Punt") from today. So it's very sunny, yet cold (God, I hate Rochester weather!) Has been a really lazy day around my house, when I look outside to see what Bailey & his girlfriend Candy are up to. Apparently, Bailey is enjoying his last few weeks of winter vacation to the best of his ability.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_e...ch11%20002.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_e...ch11%20003.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_e...ch11%20007.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_e...ch11%20006.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_e...ch11%20004.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_e...ch11%20010.jpg

I walked in slowly, thinking he'd get up...but no. Lazy horse stayed down, letting me come up & rub his ears, pet him..etc. Even started dozing back off. I went into the barn & came back with some peppermints...only then did he get up, and proceed to follow me around, thinking my camera was more cookies.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_e...ch11%20013.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_e...ch11%20014.jpg

They have their spring vet appointment next Saturday. In search of a saddle, and if the weather actually cooperates, he'll be back in work within a month. I'm very much looking forward to it!
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

Default Time Piece update

It is high time that I posted an update on Time Piece, as Foundationmare urged me to do several weeks ago. Gradually, his nickname has evolved into Timer, although my husband will forever call him Mr. Piece, as I sometimes still do. Whatever I call him, as long as I have carrots and peppermints, he's happy.
    The last six weeks have been up, then a big down, and now trending up again. When I got back in mid-February from a three week overseas trip, I started the retraining process, doing lunging work and ground work. All was going very well. I had a session of ground work with Linda LeGrand, a wonderful dressage trainer, and it was amazing what she accomplished with him. They had to, as she said, ask a lot of questions of each other, but he got it and decided to be good responsive instead of afraid responsive. She was really impressed with his intelligence and athleticism and movement, and the BO was enthusing about what a great horse he was going to be and even asked me to help find her one like him come spring -- so we may well be visiting more Finest's loooking for good new homes. The next few days after Linda's training session when I lunged him I couldn't believe how wonderful he was -- he was lunging better than my older mare. Following voice commands, and slight whip motions to halt, and just raising my elbow to get him to move on from the halt -- wow.
    Then I signed up for a session with a 3* certified Parelli trainer who was coming to my barn to work with another horse there, and to put it mildly it was a disaster. She came on too storng for where his brain was at, and he freaked when she started flinging the long rope and whip at him. He backpedaled, she let go, and he took off in sheer terror at a flat out run aorund the indoor arena, with this long rope whipping at his belly and wrapping and twisting around his back legs. He was kicking, twisting, jumping, running, anything to try to get away from the thing that he was convinced was trying to kill him. When he finally stopped, he was obviously lame on the right hind. Then the whole stifle area blew up. By the time the vet got there, it was HUGE and he couldn't put any weight on the leg. I was imagining the wrost, of course. X-rays showed no fractures, thank goodness. By the second day after the mishap he was in terrible shape -- the entire hind leg was elephant sized, he couldn't stand on it and he could barely even drag it to move a little bit in the stall. His right side sacroiliac joint was also substantially elevated, and his whole hind end was out of whack. His muscle enzymes were through the roof, so we were thinking major muscle or ligament tears. He remained in horrible shape for over a week. I was so depressed and worred sick about his future. I was beating myself up for having signed up for the Parelli thing, telling myself that this horse survived 5 years of racing in sound condition and I managed to turn him into a cripple in four months.
    But then the regimen of cold hosing, wrapping, bute, and stall rest started working, and now three weeks later the swelling is way down, he is standing on all fours quite comfortably and walking pretty well -- a 2 out of 5 lameness level down from 5/5. He is now getting frisky in his stall. The muscle enzymes are down to normal, so we can rule out major tears -- most likely "just" bad pulls and knots. He started on massage therapy last week, and he let the therapist work on the hind end, and didn't seem to have major soreness there -- just very tight, warm, and still slightly swollen. She said a lot of the tightness she felt, especially in the hamstrings, was most likely residual from the track, rather than related to the injury. He is going to get a chiropractic session in a couple of weeks, to help put the hind end back in line.
    Since we had to pull him off grain to guard against founder and to keep him from going completely crazy while on stall rest, I was also very worried about how we were going to keep any weight on him, since he is not an easy keeper and hadn't even gained enough weight before this happened. We started feeding him rice bran pellets and hay stretcher pellets, and he loves them both. So, even though this is expensive feed, we may have hit on a good long term feeding plan that will help him gain and keep on weight without having to feed him too much high energy grain that revs him up too much.
    I still don't know how long we will be limited to hand walking and no turnout -- I just hope that by the time the paddocks are filled with nice new green grass he can go out again.
    I also know I will have to start from square one with the retraining all over again, but that's the least of my worries. Getting his muscles healed and then strengthened and rebuilt to use his hind end right is the top priority, and I know this isn't something that can be rushed. But I am now encouraged and upbeat about him again. He is bright eyed and seems happy, although frustrated at being cooped up. He is eagerly lapping up his food and his treats and even being a trooper about having to get cold hosed every day. He seems to really like the massage therapy.
    I hope by the next time I post I can provide just good news.

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about your problems with Time Piece. Please don't kick yourself, you were doing what you thought was best for him.

It sounds as if he is moving along the road to recovery and will soon be back to tip top condition. And, sometimes, having to do all of the close work rehabbing an injury draws horse and rider closer together, so there may very well be an up side to this.

We'll be going back to the track the latter part of April. If anyone you know is interested in a Finest, do contact foundationmare or me. We'll be glad to help to the best of our ability.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

All my best BC. Optimism is good medicine. Here's hoping for a full recovery!
    "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
    http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/

Lucinda, best of luck with your boy's healing. What a freaking sorry state of affairs! It is ironic, isn't it, that they can knock off race after race and be on the IR from a training accident!?

Lots of best wishes for a swift and full recovery.

Default ugh!

ack, bcolleen! I am sympathetic about your situation! Nothing matches that sick-in-the-pit-of-your-stomach feeling that you get when you watch an accident like that happen (like it's happening in a parallel universe, except that it is not). Then it deepens as the aftermath unfolds.

The amazing thing about most OTTBs is that they are so resilient and are basically happy dudes (and dudettes) and come back to you, much to your disbelief. Yes, he may look askance at lunge lines and flapping ropes, but they'll try again, given time and patience. He'll come back.

FF

EventingJ - I just saw Carol K's clinic schedule and you and Jolly are scheduled when I bring my boys in to clean and feed so I'll probably miss your ride but I hope your hubby gets some good video's to show here! Have a great clinic. This should be interesting as Carol's rt arm is in a cast and sling from surgery last week. I was down today to visit and helped her get her coat, hat, and glove on. Needless to say, ground crew will be appreciated. I'm heading down both days as I haven't missed a clinic since she started them, either riding with 3 different horses, or just watching and helping with fences.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Wow, not sure how I missed the recent posts on this thread!

I am so glad Timer is on the mend. Don't beat yourself up, we all make mistakes, and you had no idea the session was going to turn out badly. Keep us posted on his progress.

On another note, I have quite the brags about our Finests. I took Lexi out on a hack this past weekend, and she was stellar, as usual! For a fresh spring day, that little gal just trooped along like a pro! For a 5 year old OTTB, I was very impressed with her. LOVE that gal.

Now, the star of the week is the Jetster! OMG! Picture this:cold windy spring day, one month under saddle as a riding horse, 3rd time in outdoor ring, many barking dogs, cars coming and going in parking lot beside outdoor ring, people all over..picture a busy Sunday at a busy barn. The kicker was when the B/O led two leopard apps and two donkeys beside the ring towards a nearby paddock, all in a row, like a little conga line. Deanna was feeling a "tad bit rough" after just crawling home from a night out two hours before her lesson...and that flippin' horse ROCKED!!!
    He looked at the goings on of course, but was super cool, and really, really amazing. He didn't even swish his tail, or break stride. The movements he offered were simply spectacular! I didn't have my camera, but will bring it this Sunday for next lesson. That horse, I tell you, never ceases to impress us.
    I can honestly say Jet is one of, if not the, coolest horses I have ever met!
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

Buffalo Colleen, so sorry to hear about Timer. Glad he's on the mend!

Up-At-5, Jet sounds like a rock star! OTTBs really are the best.

Bailey had his spring care last weekend (shots, teeth, coggins, etc). The weather had been pretty good last week, so I started lunging him.

Honestly thought that after 5 months off, I'd have a raging lunatic on my hands. Um, nope! Lunged him in an open unfenced area right next to his paddock, and he was awesome! Walked, trotted, and whoa'd all on command. No bucking, kicking, etc. Worst I got was a few head shakes & snorting. He really was dead calm.

I have a saddle ordered, that should hopefully be here in a couple of weeks. I'm so pumped to start riding now! We'll continue with the lunging as long as the weather's good & the grass stays dry.

Cannot wait for the warm weather to stay! I'm really excited about this horse...
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    EventingJ - I just saw Carol K's clinic schedule and you and Jolly are scheduled when I bring my boys in to clean and feed so I'll probably miss your ride but I hope your hubby gets some good video's to show here! Have a great clinic. This should be interesting as Carol's rt arm is in a cast and sling from surgery last week. I was down today to visit and helped her get her coat, hat, and glove on. Needless to say, ground crew will be appreciated. I'm heading down both days as I haven't missed a clinic since she started them, either riding with 3 different horses, or just watching and helping with fences.
    I heard through the grapevine about her arm, I can't believe it! Poor Carol.

The Mare has been going great (did I just jinx myself???) - our dressage has been steadily improving, our jumping has been going awesome (gymnastics are exactly what she needs, to get her rocking back and working those hocks)... although I'm a little embarrassed to say shes dropped a good 20 lbs in the last few weeks. I think shes been sharing her food with her pasture-friend. She looks really skinny to me, I want to just cover her with a blanket and hide her in a stall. She is now being fed separately in her stall (they usually get fed together in the pasture - which has been working fine all winter!) , and the grass is growing in down in her pasture (where she will get turned out by herself once it dries up a little) - so I know she will put the weight back on quickly. I'm going to add some empower to her diet just to help her out a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by up-at-5 View Post
    Wow, not sure how I missed the recent posts on this thread!

I am so glad Timer is on the mend. Don't beat yourself up, we all make mistakes, and you had no idea the session was going to turn out badly. Keep us posted on his progress.

On another note, I have quite the brags about our Finests. I took Lexi out on a hack this past weekend, and she was stellar, as usual! For a fresh spring day, that little gal just trooped along like a pro! For a 5 year old OTTB, I was very impressed with her. LOVE that gal.

Now, the star of the week is the Jetster! OMG! Picture this:cold windy spring day, one month under saddle as a riding horse, 3rd time in outdoor ring, many barking dogs, cars coming and going in parking lot beside outdoor ring, people all over..picture a busy Sunday at a busy barn. The kicker was when the B/O led two leopard apps and two donkeys beside the ring towards a nearby paddock, all in a row, like a little conga line. Deanna was feeling a "tad bit rough" after just crawling home from a night out two hours before her lesson...and that flippin' horse ROCKED!!!
    He looked at the goings on of course, but was super cool, and really, really amazing. He didn't even swish his tail, or break stride. The movements he offered were simply spectacular! I didn't have my camera, but will bring it this Sunday for next lesson. That horse, I tell you, never ceases to impress us.
    I can honestly say Jet is one of, if not the, coolest horses I have ever met!
    Great updates!! I love hearing about Jet, I am of course partial to him as I looked at him when I was looking to buy His (very nice!) owners really wanted to race him another season, all things happen for a reason though, right? Hope you share pics soon

Quote Originally Posted by EventingJ View Post
    I heard through the grapevine about her arm, I can't believe it! Poor Carol.

The Mare has been going great (did I just jinx myself???) - our dressage has been steadily improving, our jumping has been going awesome (gymnastics are exactly what she needs, to get her rocking back and working those hocks)... although I'm a little embarrassed to say shes dropped a good 20 lbs in the last few weeks. I think shes been sharing her food with her pasture-friend. She looks really skinny to me, I want to just cover her with a blanket and hide her in a stall. She is now being fed separately in her stall (they usually get fed together in the pasture - which has been working fine all winter!) , and the grass is growing in down in her pasture (where she will get turned out by herself once it dries up a little) - so I know she will put the weight back on quickly. I'm going to add some empower to her diet just to help her out a bit.
    It's not at all uncommon for the horses to drop a few lbs come spring so don't worry about it. Once they are out on the lush spring grass she might just put on more than you want.

I've been working all winter to try to get my boy's companion to drop as he was looking more like a draft horse or blimp than a TB! My boy usually starts to drop come spring and he has and it hasn't hurt him one bit, mind you as he is an easy keeper. Both boys are down to one 'grain meal' a day consisting of 1-3 cups (depending on which horse) of beet pulp, 1/4 cup of Lite Balance, 1 oz. of salt and their Vit E and Selenium supplement. The companion even gets his grass hay cut back and I think I finally have him at least looking like an appendix QH rather than a draft. I don't think he'll ever look like a TB. But then again, most people think my boy is a warmblood.

I may try to get down and watch part of your clinic session but I don't think I can stay for all of it.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I hope Lucky drops a few pounds this spring. Fatty fatty two-by-four's girth suddenly barely reaches the first hole, when it used to go up three on the left!

Default Spring Drop

How come WE don't loose weight come spring time??? LOL

Happens even in Florida, or at least, so says my B/O who pulls me aside and tells me she is seeing ribs on Cuervo and wants to up his feed.

HUH? I said "get on him and tell me if he needs more grain?!" His coat is all shed and shiny (and he has finally gotten rid of the last of the rain rot), his feet are spectacular (barefoot since I've had him) and he has the zip of the Energizer Bunny. I did start riding him again (since his St. Paddy's day adventure with the round pen) and he was full of OTTB attitude today. He got reacquainted with the outside rein (he was just hanging on my hands wanting to gallop) and I set up a bunch of poles on the ground in quite the geometric configuration to practice striding. Silly TB... if he is skinny he sure isn't loosing any steam.

FF

Default Will winter ever end??

Friskyflea's post about shed out horses was enough to make me bang my winter hat clad head against a wall. I have a pile of hairy horses who only shed enough to cover me in hair and show no signs of a summer coat yet. I can't blame them, its snowing here.

Riesling (Kingofthewest) has finally figured out how to jump his way through a basic gymnastic. The last month has been like dancing with a guy that has to count his way through the steps. Our last two jumping sessions have been major break throughs and the light bulb came on. He's cantering verticals now and all seems to be going well.

Thanks to a Rails-to-Trials system, we have been out trail riding a bunch and he is a stoic and unflappable guy. We went for a bit of a gallop and it was impressive. I know he was slower than molasses on the track, but nothing runs like a TB, even the slow ones.

We are off for a training trip to southern PA in a few weeks to get some early baby cross country schooling in and I hope their weather is better.

I am hoping next year to make it up to Carol K gymnastic clinic.

Is there anyone else up this way that is going to be taking a Finest to the Big Loop Hunter Paces?
    Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbreds
    fingerlakesfinesttbs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Friskyflea View Post
    How come WE don't loose weight come spring time??? LOL

Happens even in Florida, or at least, so says my B/O who pulls me aside and tells me she is seeing ribs on Cuervo and wants to up his feed.

HUH? I said "get on him and tell me if he needs more grain?!" His coat is all shed and shiny (and he has finally gotten rid of the last of the rain rot), his feet are spectacular (barefoot since I've had him) and he has the zip of the Energizer Bunny. I did start riding him again (since his St. Paddy's day adventure with the round pen) and he was full of OTTB attitude today. He got reacquainted with the outside rein (he was just hanging on my hands wanting to gallop) and I set up a bunch of poles on the ground in quite the geometric configuration to practice striding. Silly TB... if he is skinny he sure isn't loosing any steam.

FF
    Seriously! Although, I suppose if I gave up eating my meals to stare and flirt with the boys across the fenceline I'd probably lose weight too!

I can't believe how fast she dropped weight, and its hard to tell when you see them so often. I noticed it the other day, and the day after I had a lesson - trainer immediately said "so what are you doing to put weight on her, she looks quite ribby"... so its been less than 4 weeks since the last time she saw the mare, sigh.

Default Hair

I remember eventing at the GPC May HT at Wheeler Green and not knowing, until the very last moment, if my horse would be shed out and presentable by the last week of May! For many years after moving south my horse stayed on that shedding schedule.

The past few years it has been getting warmer sooner (our average temp right now should be be high 60s to low 70s) and the horses get itchy and roll a lot more. We are going to be in the high 80s for the next 7 days, way ahead of schedule (more like June weather).

Rhymes W/Orange, if you get any pictures of Riesling (KotW) do post them. I fell in love with his eye, bone and overall presence (plus conformation) and would have snatched him had I been in any position to do so. I have the feeling he's going to be one hell of an eventer ***drool***

FF