The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 113 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thumbs up Take Me Flying's first couple of days.

Quick & dirty update. Yesterday he spent in a small paddock with a view of everyone. Made himself at home rather quickly.

Today, hosed off old sweat, walked him over to the jumps, led him over poles and cavaletti, introduced him to the round pen... all in pretty lively wind conditions: absorbed it all in stride. It cracks me up when people think that OTTBs are unmanageable monsters in the throes of demonic possession. He ran Nov 20, has been away from the track environment for a short 3 days, and he is showing more sense than some of the other horses in the barn.

Introduced him to my rescued TB (Ransomed), who showed off for the youngster, then they both enjoyed some TB games (racing each other, what else) before settling for a drink at the local watering hole. There wasn't even a single squeal (although plenty of enthusiastic kicking and bucking, none finding a target).

http://s483.photobucket.com/albums/rr200/bittyflea/TMF/

Gotta get the farrier in to take off his plates and let his little hooves stretch (shoes are too small!).

Tomorrow he'll get a bath prior to getting a trace clip, then I'll see which bridle & saddle fits him best: I may have to un-mothball my cob-sized tack his little face is so fine

FF

What a little heaven you have there Flea! TMF is probably thanking you that he left the snow for a nice grassy field! They are both beautiful, happy horses.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post

And he does like the homemade horse treats.
    Lucky would be a fool not to, and that horse is no fool. I'm glad that you got to see him today. Pictures soon?
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Friskyflea, those are wonderful pictures. TMF looks so happy. He and your other horse are both beautiful kids, and it looks like they are going to get along just great. That pasture is gorgeous. I think I'll come down around the middle of February and set up a tent out there for a bit, just to escape the snow.

Default me too!

Late to jump in here, but I am a frequesnt Finger Lakes shopper! I have been buying horses from FLRT for years, retraining, selling and keeping! Last year I adopted an awesome guy, if anyone remembers him or has info on him I would love ot hear it. I did not get much background when I got him. His name was Grand Refer, he is a BIG 16.2 hh deep red chestnut with no white and a huge black spot that goes from hip to hock on the right side. He has been renamed Rojo. He was a 4 yr old stud, now a 5 yr old gelding. This is the most mellow fellow. I am currently using him for a project horse for a 14 year old girl, he is getting along great. Beauty, brains, disposition, he's got it all!
    This fall I brought in Satellite Problem, who is now named Rufus. At the FL sale, everyone admired him, but would not buy him since he was badly mannered and full of energy. Well, he came around quickly and is so gentle now! He is like some old pony most of the time, stands alone on X ties, lovey with other horses, sweet as can be. He has been just hanging out for a while, relaxing, but I hope to get him going under saddle soon. I think he is ready now.
    On another note, I bought a mare a couple years ago named Kingsdreamofdreams. That horse was just sold and is leaving for TX to be a GP jumper! She is really talented, new owners are thrilled!

Flea, I love the fifth photo, they both look like they are breaking from the starting gate

This lovely place is not mine
    it's where I board, but the woman who runs it is an old time horsewoman - all the horses get a 2 acre pasture (with a shade shelter) and are turned in compatible groups unless the owner requests single turnout. Everyone has a stall that is used during inclement weather or out of convenience (i.e. drying prior to a clipping job). It's a great place and the horses receive excellent care. I am working toward a place of my own; right now the market is too soft to be able to sell my place to move to acreage... play the lottery 1x/mo ("all you need is a dollar and a dream" works down here, too!)

hah- fog has lifted, off to the barn to bathe and clip and fit tack.

BTW - by the way, someone commented on how nice Dave Markgraff is at the track. It's not just his smile and it's not just for show when visitors are watching. Let me tell you what nice is. I didn't stay long at his Ocala place: he had a guy cleaning his rig, another guy on the phone and he was going to turn around and do ONE MORE TRIP to the Baldwin (NY) area to pick up 4 horses for a friend who needed them shipped to Tampa Bay Downs! He turns to me with a smile after hanging up the cell phone and says... "and I'm beat!" now THAT is beyond nice - that's picking up the shovel and helping with the scooping when the you-know-what hits the fan...

Flea - Great pictures - everyone please keep them coming. This has been quite an adventure for all of us...

Default Skee

It was Skee's second day with me and I am still so excited to have her. I brought my malamute to the barn today and Skee loved her, when I turned her out in the paddock she followed my dog all over, it was really cute. She wasn't happy when I went back in the barn to clean her stall. So far she has been perfect to handle. She will have off for the rest of this winter and be restarted in the spring. I school dressage and trail ride mostly. Here are some pics of her.

http://http://s954.photobucket.com/a...t=102_0347.jpg

http://http://s954.photobucket.com/a...t=102_0346.jpg

http://http://s954.photobucket.com/a...t=102_0342.jpg

Oh, your pictures don't come up.

Default Ditto

And I usually have no problem with Photobucket attachments. Please try to sort out the problem because I am very excited to see these pics!

oo you put http twice in your links. She looks lovely - I lover her tail!

Here are corrected links Tyrian

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/a...5/102_0342.jpg

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/a...5/102_0346.jpg

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/a...5/102_0347.jpg

Thanks Eventingj, they aren't the greatest pics because it was raining and my camera kept fogging up!!!

Oh, I just teared up. All I had seen before were the conformation shots. I don't remember seeing her in person. Except for the fact that The Promise Mare had a little white star on her forehead, Skee is identical to her, beautiful long tail and all. She even has that same, sweet expression.

I wish you as many happy year with Skee as I had with Promise.

She's beautiful! And she does have a Promise Mare face .

I remember interviewing her last season when another trainer had her... she worked hard for her people and looks so happy to be at a nice home!

Thank you Jannah! And how is Jolly??? Her daughter is getting close to being broke, but I'm in no hurry. She looks exactly like her mama, which tickles me.

As for Skee Love, she was soooo ready for a loving retirement home. I am so happy for her, and for you. I think she was the last horse off the grounds! I was sweating the weather conditions around you in those final days, but all is well that ends well.

Enjoy her and keep us updated, please!

Margie

Okay, know that Skee Love didn't go to you Jannah, but to Tyrian. Sorry for that oops. Skee Love has landed in clover, methinks!

Another short day with Lucky--pictures will be available either when my parents (or someone with a camera) comes to visit, or in the unlikely event someone gives me a digital camera for Christmas. The weather down here is not the greatest so the arena is soup--but I keep reminding myself, he's supposed to be getting let down anyway! He was a little bouncy coming in as it was dinner time and everyone else was coming in, too, but he was very mannerly about his feet (there was some question about that the first few days) and the crossties are still working fine, even for bridling now. I think he must be the only Finest who didn't run and buck--according to the BO he has been very thoughtful and cautious about everything, even turnout. He just walks, or he stands and watches things like he's never had the chance to watch things before. The BO and her husband are really enjoying having him--they say it's like watching a little kid learn to walk, and after a previous OTTB they owned they're wowed by his manners and unflappability.

My brother's shipping my old saddle back to me. So after Christmas we'll have a fitting at least and if it works, some walking around under tack.

Jolly is doing awesome! She tries so hard, I'm giving her quite a few days off this next week - she had two 'hard' workouts in a row the last couple days and I think she was just beat - I don't want her to get sore and grouchy, although I'm not sure she does "grouchy". Today she had a little bit of a clip - I call it my "modified Bib" clip, most just the chest - she has been getting a touch sweaty the last few times. I can't believe how great she was - just the "whatever" attitude with childrens running around screaming in the background (although she did NOT appreciate when they were running around in the loft, poor mare started trembling thinking the barn was caving in - I don't blame her a bit. After I yelled at the children to get out of the loft she calmed right down!).

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I think he must be the only Finest who didn't run and buck--according to the BO he has been very thoughtful and cautious about everything, even turnout. He just walks, or he stands and watches things like he's never had the chance to watch things before. The BO and her husband are really enjoying having him--they say it's like watching a little kid learn to walk, and after a previous OTTB they owned they're wowed by his manners and unflappability.
    My Number did this his first month at Dr. Ohlinger's lovely farm. He would stand in the pasture and gaze for hours at the quiet countryside and the cars along a distant road .