The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 105 of 113 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107 ... LastLast
Results 2,081 to 2,100 of 2256

My friend called on Florida Quaker back in the middle of February. Asked if she was still available, and if she could set up a time to see her. The vibe she got from the person on the phone wasn't very, um, friendly? Asked what she had planned on using the mare for, to which my friend replied eventing. She told her she had somebody coming to see the mare that week, and sort of left it at that. She never did get to see her. So I really don't know what's going on with her. She sure is gorgeous, and I'm kind of sad my friend never got the chance to see her. I have no idea if she's sold or not, she's been listed for a long time.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

For what it's worth, I think Florida Quaker's owner/trainer would likely keep her (for life) as her own riding horse rather than sell her to someone she doesn't feel is the perfect fit. She may not be the greatest "people person", but she seems to take good care of her horses and that one is pretty special to her. I know she's turned down offers in the past. I don't know if the offers weren't high enough or why she didn't accept...

Just to give an update for folks on Volos...He has had the winter off to set up his ankles and has adjusted to longer periods of turnout. It took him a while to work his way up from an hour to all day...He really enjoys his stall time. He has kept his wonderful people oriented friendly attitude, has a wonderful appetite and likes the dogs. He will be going into small group turnout shortly. We did not want him racing around until the ankles set up. I plan to get him restarted in the mid to late spring. Although with the weather we have been having in the last month I am starting to doubt that spring will ever arrive.

1 members found this post helpful.

BNO, sorry to hear your friend did not get any follow up from Carol who owns Florida Quaker. She does indeed love this mare, and will be very careful about who gets her. We called her in January while doing update calls with trainers who still had horses listed, and she told us the mare was still available and for sale, but she was very firm on the price in order to insure a good home. Carole is quiet and would not sound overly outgoing on the phone.
    We heard that someone was hoping to find Carol at the track this week to look at the mare, so we presume she is still available. If your friend is seriously interested and would indeed be the best of homes, then I encourage her to call back, offer assurances and references, etc.
    Pesonally I think the mare is a great eventing prospect.
    The Finger Lakes Finest Trainer Listing Service
    http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com
    Find us on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/FingerLakesF...oroughbredsInc

I have a little update:

Street Cruise went to his first lesson this past weekend and received trainer approval. Whew!

He was wound up to start but quieted down and ultimately trotted over a few little jumps and showed off his new, improved canter transitions. My trainer was very enthusiastic, which was a huge relief. I always fear the "what were you thinking?" conversation. I take most of my lessons on my older horse, but got a lot to work on and will take him back next month.

Just saw the update on Yukon Goldrush... wow... talk about a second career!! congratulations!
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7870869&type=1

Well.. I went and did it. I got my second FLF. I've had him since August, but haven't posted yet, so I am long overdue for his introduction!

Without further ado.. I give you: Seawalker! After retiring Jake (Little Jacob) in the spring, I was sure my eventing was going nowhere fast, and was resigned to yet another year on the sidelines (not that I don't love volunteering!). Then.. my trainer drags me to the track, and we go to see Dan Conway and his daughter, who is just about the loveliest girl you will ever meet, and a good friend, and we see this puny, plain, little 3yo bay gelding. Meh. I really was not impressed! So, we left.

Fast forward a month later, I am dragged back to the track, and my trainer says "If you don't buy him, I will" - and what else can you say to that except "Alright, I'll take him!"?

Seawalker, or Seven.. or Sev.. or Schmev.. came home with me August 7th, and we have been having an absolutely amazing time together since that day. He's already gone on a hunter pace in the fall and was a champ, and we recently returned from 3 weeks in Aiken! He shipped magnificently, and we had a great experience while down there, getting to jump with Doug & flat & XC school with Mara, and just plain spend time together. Over the past month, he's started to really develop some fitness, and I think he is looking fantastic! He is sweet, in your pocket, CUTE, a nice little mover, uncomplicated, brave, did I mention CUTE, and just.. awesome. Gosh, I LOVE MY FLF! Thanks for reading, now take a look!

The day I took him home
    Goofing around
    Jumping with Doug
    Shapin' up!
    So much room to RUN!!!
    He loves to lounge..
    His best bud - another FLF!

Amy

"I decided I am going to live, or at least try to live, the way I want,
    with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure."

2 members found this post helpful.

Ake - he's beautiful! Congrats!

ake987, congratulations! He looks wonderful! I'm very impressed with the jumping photo. I expected something different for the "...loves to lounge" shot (lol)! The picture with his best bud is the absolute best. I hope you two have MANY great years together!

ake-so glad you found a lovely new fellow for your eventing career.He's just as handsome as he can be. He's far from puny, even in the first pic. I hope to see you at some of the local shows this summer. Good luck with him.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Congrats Ake! He is gorgeous and looks very sweet.
    I have a soft spot for horses with the little black spots above the coronet band too.

I can't see your pics at work, Ake, but I will when I get home. Congratulations!

And I am tickled pink with Yukon Gold Rush's new career. I did his original listing about 2 or 3 years ago (akkk....the memory is almost shot!) and was so impressed with him. Beefy, hardy sort of guy. What a wonderful new life for him!

Congrats, ake! He's adorable! Hope to see you guys out this summer!
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

Ake, he is lovely! Looks like you're having a hoot with him.Keep us posted.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

Ah, away from COTH for a few days, and look at all the wonderful updates I missed! Ake, whatt a cute and athletic horse -- so glad you followed your trainer's advice. I love his sire line for producing sport horses -- every Maria's Mon (his grandsire) I have seen is a beautiful mover, and most of them can really jump, and they have good brains. SO I would expect sone of Monarchos to have those attributes too.

And hooray, "Beam" that Cruiser passed your trainer's inspection! As one of the people who "enabled" you to choose this horse, I am of course particularly happy how it is working out.

And what a great update on Yukon, oops I mean Officer Pini. What a wonderful program to retrain OTTBs as police horses. The old war horse campaigners like Yukon/Pini have great minds, and have certainly been there done that, so all the stimuli they encounter in police work will hardly overwhelm them.
    The Finger Lakes Finest Trainer Listing Service
    http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com
    Find us on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/FingerLakesF...oroughbredsInc

BC--and thank you so much for the enabling!!
    He is wonderful! My trainer said he was one of the nicest horses he'd seen come on the track in recent years.
    He is handling so much new stuff really well--today he had his first river experience (most of the trails by me require a fairly significant crossing to get to) and was great.

Default Baylee starts learning about Driving

Bumping this with a Baylee (Bayshore Gal) update.

I have FINALLY been riding her now that spring seems to have arrived. The last two rides partially involved dealing with her having a hissy fit because the other horse that was being ridden went in a different direction or area so I dealt with that and I figure it will continue to be an issue at times, but she will learn . Otherwise she has been very good and she is turning into a very nice trail horse. The ring work still has a long way to go.

Today though I decided to do something different and get some driving time in. I started by reminding my driving pony that she does occasionally have to work . She has BTDT so I just hooked her and went for a drive through the fields. Then did a little ground driving with a young, nervous TWH I have, then it was Baylee's turn.

Last fall I did fit the harness and ground drive her once and she acted like it was no big deal. Today was the same. She stood quietly while I put the harness on, including the crupper and breeching, then behaved almost perfectly while I ground drove her (we still need a little work on Whoa, but she wasn't bad). She didn't even pay attention to the traces hitting her hind legs. I plan to ground drive her a couple more times then introduce the tire drag and then blinkers, though for blinkers I have to see if I have a bridle that fits - I have horse and pony, but not sure about in between.

A few pictures with the harness (Looking at them I see a few adjustments are needed)

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...ps2febc046.jpg

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...ps1fa6a21e.jpg

Christa

Bumping! The Jolly and I went down to VA this past weekend and participated at Novice level in the Loudoun County Pony Club Horse Trials. We placed 13th out of 22 ending on our dressage score of 37.5. She was wonderful - this was her first HT for the year, with no xc schooling before hand, really no outside work at all. She was incredibly happy to leave the start box she practically skipped around the course, and was ready to go again when we crossed the finish line

Helmet Cam

Dressage Video

Stadium Pic
    Stadium Pic

Galloping along
    XC Fence 7
    Into the water
    Fence 12 the "trakehner"

Quote Originally Posted by EventingJ View Post
    Bumping! The Jolly and I went down to VA this past weekend and participated at Novice level in the Loudoun County Pony Club Horse Trials. We placed 13th out of 22 ending on our dressage score of 37.5. She was wonderful - this was her first HT for the year, with no xc schooling before hand, really no outside work at all. She was incredibly happy to leave the start box she practically skipped around the course, and was ready to go again when we crossed the finish line

Helmet Cam

Dressage Video

Stadium Pic
    Stadium Pic

Galloping along
    XC Fence 7
    Into the water
    Fence 12 the "trakehner"
    I see her saying "finally some fun" which it looks like your both having.

Christa

Love your updates EventingJ! You and The Jolly look amazing together and what fun to make a road trip to Virginia. Your helmet cams are so. much. fun. to watch!