The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 102 of 113 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,040 of 2256

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    FG, I hope the news is good!
    Yeah, just that despite her odd race history, she really didn't have any major injuries or issues. Some filling in her right knee, but never any soreness. So that's good news... fills in the blanks at least.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    FG, I hope the news is good!
    Yeah, just that despite her odd race history, she really didn't have any major injuries or issues. Some filling in her right knee, but never any soreness. So that's good news... fills in the blanks at least.

FG - Sorry to hear you are also fighting the dreaded occult back issue demons. Ries goes from being amazing and sound to crippled and sore in a matter of days. Its a cycle we have been going though for two years. Ries had the same owner for all of his racing history with no notable issues - they even waited a year to run him since he is a big bodied guy. I just got some contact numbers for Cornell from an acquaintance/upper level dressage rider/vet for who to talk to about it there. He has the best mind on the planet, is a very solid mover and a wonderful jumper. The only not perfect fact about him is some soundness issues. Every other option has been ruled out so now its time for more money and a longer drive. Fingers crossed fo
    Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbreds
    fingerlakesfinesttbs.com

Hoping it's nothing too serious, FG
    Last edited by Shannon.Ryan18; Dec. 10, 2012 at 09:56 PM.
    My OTTB and Finger Lakes Finest, Sunny Boy 'n Ben E and the old man, Salvator.

Check out Second Chance Thoroughbreds and like us on Facebook!

Thanks guys. It is depressing, for sure. She was pretty lame when I got her, but I thought it wasn't major. I was busy with family stuff all spring and most of the summer, so it was kind of back-burnered. Then when I moved her and started trying to bring her back into work, I realized she was Very Lame and we had kind of a big problem.

Her LH is really odd, almost looks like she has a bow on the front of it, don't know how else to describe it, and she has a big ankle there too. But, the lameness actually looks higher up, and on the right side.

RwO, I am sorry to hear you've been fighting a similar battle with Ries. It's disheartening at times! Especially when the horse has an exceptional mind and good days... Let me know how things go for you with Cornell...

Quote Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
    Her LH is really odd, almost looks like she has a bow on the front of it, don't know how else to describe it, and she has a big ankle there too. But, the lameness actually looks higher up, and on the right side.
    Bucked shin?
    My OTTB and Finger Lakes Finest, Sunny Boy 'n Ben E and the old man, Salvator.

Check out Second Chance Thoroughbreds and like us on Facebook!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon.Ryan18 View Post
    Bucked shin?
    Could be... it is not like any injury I've ever seen. I have a pic if you want to see. Whatever it is, it's an old injury that happened before I got her, but is obviously flaring with work.

I am not sure where the root problem lies, her pelvis or this, or if they are entirely separate or somehow related. Hence why I've decided to just go ahead and xray this.....

ETA: It's a hind leg, can they get bucked shins in a hind leg? (sorry if I sound dumb, grew up with QHs where we battled things like navicular and such lol)

Flash, besides an X-ray, what about doing a nerve block? A NB might just give you an answer as to just where the problem is located.

Good luck and I do hope it it's fixable.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I certainly hope that you both find the problems, Flash and Rhymes W/Orange. It's got to be frustrating, and saddening. Hopefully, you will both get a diagnosis, and it will be something easily fixed.

I also want to point out that the Retired Racehorse Training Project has another 100 day challenge starting. As there was last year, there is a Finger Lakes Finest participating. Suave Jazz last ran at Finger Lakes in August. He's a real warhorse, who has run in 70 races and won over $600,000. I know I am going to follow his story (and the stories of all the others as well) with a great deal of interest. There's a thread in Eventing about it.
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...-is-back!-Yay!

They're giving periodic reports here. http://retiredracehorsetraining.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout= blog&id=71&Itemid=363

Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Default Meet Honey's Brutus, my new Finger Lakes Finest.

Honey's Brutus came to live with me a few weeks ago. I remember the first day I saw him, when he came over as a 3 year old to school for his first race. He was a big-boned, good-looking kid, despite the fact that he was over at the knees and a li' bit clunky. There was just something about him... Well his 3 year old year was not that impressive though he broke his maiden & won another race (or two?). This year he was sold & went to another trainer and continued with a less-than-successful season. Somewhere along the line I let the trainer know that I really liked him, and when he came over for his last race the trainer said "If you want him after this race you can take him home, I know you like him".
    Yup, that's all I need - another mouth to feed! Having taken on a horse that REALLY needed a home earlier in the summer, I was going to be over my limit. "Let me think about it & see if I can do it" I told him.
    So he's here now (was there ever really a doubt?). What a neat fellow. I took him for a little ride around some back roads shortly after he arrived, but I haven't had tthe chance to ride him again yet. I'm dealing with a skin issue he has, and the weather hasn't been too cooperative. This week we're supposed to have some good weather so hopefully... In the meantime, I've been practicing a little trick. I lie down on the ground, or pretend to collapse, - and wait for him to come over. When he comes over & sniffs me I give him a peppermint. The first time he saw me lying on the ground he snorted & didn't want to approach. But then he heard the wrapper. NOW, as soon as he sees me go down he comes right over.
    One of my biggest fears is that I'll be riding away from home & my horse gets loose & runs off. Hopefully, if I ever get dropped on the trail, Honey's Brutus will come over to me looking for his mint!
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1921699&type=3

1 members found this post helpful.

[QUOTE=Louise;6711231
    I also want to point out that the Retired Racehorse Training Project has another 100 day challenge starting. As there was last year, there is a Finger Lakes Finest participating. Suave Jazz last ran at Finger Lakes in August. He's a real warhorse, who has run in 70 races and won over $600,000. I know I am going to follow his story (and the stories of all the others as well) with a great deal of interest. There's a thread in Eventing about it.
    [URL]http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?378792-Retired-Racehorse-Retraining-Program-is-back!-Yay![/URL]

Oh how I wish there was a FL Finest in the RRTP 100 day challenge. According to Equibase, Suave Jazz ran his last few races at Suffolk Downs, and he never graced Finger Lakes with his classy presence.
    http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Res...969&registry=T
    I am so glad that the RRTP challenge this year includes two older horses. I think their success will help persuade people to step up for the wonderful durable, great minded war horses over 6 -- we always list several such Finests each year, and they are hard to place..... but they are the BEST!!!
    The Finger Lakes Finest Trainer Listing Service
    http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com
    Find us on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/FingerLakesF...oroughbredsInc

Well, foof, that's too bad. Pity they got it wrong in Suave Jazz's description on the Retired Racehorse site. I think I'll still root for him, though. Love me those warhorses.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

My "old" FLF is awesome! Older horses have seen and done everything, and a horse who stays sound after a long career on the track is sound forever.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

I will say that my one horse who had some racing wear and tear had bouts of being back sore and wonky behind...Massage has helped immensely and Ithink accupuncture would as well but he will completely not tolerate it. I have also had benefits from chiropractic on him. I was amazed at how much it helped after many vet opinions never came up with anything definitive or that helped. So if you get no answers you might want to give it a shot.

Thanks for the well wishes and ideas.... I will be giving chiro a shot if we come up empty handed after another vet visit this week. I'm a little bit sick over this, she is a lovely mare and while she was lame when I got her, I thought it would resolve. My vet and I have tried all the obvious, common sense things to no avail. So time to dig a little deeper.

Very cool the RRTP is going on, will have to check that out. I love reading about OTTBs progress as they come off the track. I check a few of the CANTER blogs regularly and really enjoy seeing how the horses come along.

Tradewind - I agree. Ries has had good results with chiropractic and that is often what seems to allow him to get back on the upswing. Its the drops that concern me. I took him last Friday to a vet for acupuncture. If nothing else, he enjoyed it immensely. Ries is a reserved, stoic horse (except for treats, in which case he loses his mind and dignity) and you would have thought the vet was covered in peppermints. His walk is much better and last night he was much more limber in trot.

At least for us, he is always sound enough to ride, its getting him into harder work for competition that seems to be a challenge. I would like to find the underlying cause, and if he can't be kept mid-level eventing sound, then I don't want to keep pushing. Its frustrating, because between his jumping ability and tremendously wonderful nature and work ethic, he is the perfect horse.
    Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbreds
    fingerlakesfinesttbs.com

Truffula just had her first post-race track ride, and she was very sensible and willing to learn the beginnings of bending and contact. During her ride, there was another horse in the arena who was having a complete meltdown, but Truffula ignored the hysterics and just went about her business. Her calm and focused attitude drew many comments on how the race horse just off the track was by far the calmest horse in the ring!
    The Finger Lakes Finest Trainer Listing Service
    http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com
    Find us on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/FingerLakesF...oroughbredsInc

3 members found this post helpful.

Volos has handled the transition from track life to barn life and turnout like a pro. So he will leave the boarding barn this Sunday and come to my farm for his winter off. He will go back there in the spring to be restarted with my wonderful trainer friend Pam who is one of the best in working with OTTBs.

Volos arrived at my farm safe and sound this morning..Walked off the trailer and into the stall like he had been here is whole life..Took a good roll, started munching hay and had no trouble taking a bunch of peppermint snacks from my husband. Turnout tomorrow if the weather cooperates.

2 members found this post helpful.

How did the Roll Call get all the way back to page 3?! Can't have that!

So here's a video of buffalo colleen's Time Piece doing the baby hunters at the BTRC last month. He was a little grumpy about lead changes that day but worked through it nicely and got better and better each trip.

Pats to Timer!

http://youtu.be/uRUxJlfEf6k