The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 99 of 113 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109 ... LastLast
Results 1,961 to 1,980 of 2256

Quote Originally Posted by SEPowell View Post
    Oh dear!! Good luck to Itch and his new person!!

Time for you to get another from Finger Lakes!!!
    I agree with both sentiments Surely another Finger Lakes Finest would love to go to South Dakota and help Jollytrak compete against Itch. I just wish we had one named "Scratch" listed right now -- wouldn't that be the perfect antidote to losing an Itch!
    The Finger Lakes Finest Trainer Listing Service
    http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com
    Find us on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/FingerLakesF...oroughbredsInc

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SEPowell View Post
    Oh dear!! Good luck to Itch and his new person!!

Time for you to get another from Finger Lakes!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by buffalo colleen View Post
    I agree with both sentiments Surely another Finger Lakes Finest would love to go to South Dakota and help Jollytrak compete against Itch. I just wish we had one named "Scratch" listed right now -- wouldn't that be the perfect antidote to losing an Itch!
    oooooo I have been lurking... many solid finest available, just need one to give me that look -- sooner than later... one will (shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh don't tell hubby - lmao!)!!!!!!!!!

Whenever a new pony comes along... he'll have some large hooves to fill

yikes, trying to get used to this new COTH format! Jollytrak - my heart dropped a little, too, when I thought maybe Itch had to be PTS, very glad he is alive and well - good luck to him and his new person!

Cool New COTH format reveals need for new glasses...

I, too, thought that Itch was, er, RIP - so happy all I need are new glasses!

Quickie update on Cuervo: today, I introduced him to a slightly higher fence. Well, I thought slightly higher (we had been schooling 2'3" courses). I was going to raise it one notch to about 2'6" - don't ask me how, when I got off to adjust the pole, it went up 2 notches (subconscious brain in action?!?!!!)

First couple of times around he kept knocking down the top rail, even though there was no hesitation and he was taking off at the right spot. I thought perhaps he wasn't registering the upper rail b/c because there was a bit of air between that pole and the one below, so I added a another rail (the all white one). Shazam! Instant *Eureka!* moment. The next 2 times he cleared it handily and I quit on that note It finally feels like he is jumping.

Sorry I do not have actual pictures of the feat: I was rider and ground crew - adding photographer to that was impossible.

Fence on the flower box side

the Irish wolfhound was optional.

The "all rail" side

measurement

Things to keep in mind:

a) one fence does not a course make
    b) it's one thing to jump 2'11", quite another to go Novice
    c) we've only done this once X2 repetitions.

Nonetheless, it is a rather satisfying feeling

FF

HE DID IT- HE DID IT- HE DID IT! My "pony" cantered undersaddle yesterday WITH A RIDER! He is doing awesome in his training! Next step...is me. lol I am almost there. His trainer said I could start getting on and walking him on days she's not there but...sigh. I WILL!- SOON.

"HE DID IT- HE DID IT- HE DID IT! My "pony" cantered undersaddle yesterday WITH A RIDER! He is doing awesome in his training! Next step...is me. lol I am almost there. His trainer said I could start getting on and walking him on days she's not there but...sigh. I WILL!- SOON."

Bigger, louder SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bigger, louder SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Thank you!!!! I am so happy- I think he may be almost normal now! He is a cute one too...after his training sessions, its ALWAYS nap time! I wasn't really planning on keeping him....but...hmmmm....if I can get over myself and ride him....hmmmm....hehe

WTG FF and Cuervo!!! Too bad no pictures of his jumping it!

Happy update Callista!

Thumbs up Anyone want to donate a helmet cam?

Quote Originally Posted by EventingJ View Post
    WTG FF and Cuervo!!! Too bad no pictures of his jumping it!
    stay tuned... pix *will* be forthcoming...

FF

I DID IT I DID IT I DID IT! I RODE MY PONY! YES I DID! We walked, but I was RIDING HIM!!! YAY!!!!!!! I am SOOO HAPPY! SOOO VERY HAPPY!!!!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Callista17 View Post
    I DID IT I DID IT I DID IT! I RODE MY PONY! YES I DID! We walked, but I was RIDING HIM!!! YAY!!!!!!! I am SOOO HAPPY! SOOO VERY HAPPY!!!!
    YAY YOU!!!!

I have a story about Susie Q I can contribute. A few weeks ago when I had a bad cold I read every race report of her's on equibase. I discovered one of my trainer friends at FL ran her in some races at Finger Lakes for one of her NY trainers. He said that at that time she was robust and sound. In the last race she ran at FL the horse in front of her fell and Susie jumped the fallen horse and rider! My trainer friend said she was very athletic and likely saved her jockey and the fallen jockey from serious injuries by that move.

YIPEE!!!!!!!!!!!

Smile CUERVO FINDS HIS WINGS - No Red Bull involved

Did another hunter pace today: sponsored (again) by the South Creek Foxhounds but at a different location than the last one. Though we went in the flat class, we once again jumped. This time around I put him to the coops... the first time I did show it to him before asking for him to go over. He was a total pro! Just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, we jumped that first coop twice! All the other coops were fine, though I did show him a second one that was lighter colored that the others - he may have jumped it without the preview but why risk ruining his confidence? We also did an airy log with no ground line and lots [and I do mean LOTS] of water crossings (ie - read shallow lakes! Ground here is still quite wet in some spots). The only thing we didn't jump was a coop that was flagged down due to very chopped up footing... but given that I jumped the first coop twice... hehehehe... His jump is still big but it is smooth and it feels great to finally fly with him

His partner, Casey [the QH he did the Pax de Dufus with 2 years ago] was in better shape as his mom (and my friend) has been riding more often. He jumped a lot as well, though he skipped the last 3 coops. It was a longer pace that the last --now that the weather has cooled-- but he was hardly stressed. My friend had her IPhone strapped to her arm and she played music the whole ride.

We were faster than optimum for the flat class by about 5 min -- had we done the jumping class (which we WILL do next time around) we would have been closer to OT. But we had fun.

BEFORE

AFTER

We DO want to try for 1st, as you get an etched beer mug along with a ribbon. I have 2 already but would love a matched set of 4.

FF
    Last edited by Friskyflea; Nov. 11, 2012 at 09:32 PM. Reason: typos

Brolio went on his first field trip yesterday exactly 2 months post track and is going to need at least a day off for his brain to process everything!

We went to the last hunter pace of the season, just 15min down the road. Since SEPowell was awesome enough to trailer him from the track in her open stock trailer, I was prepared for some trailer training on the big 6 horse before we left. Smart guy that he is, just hopped right up and off we went. Even though we got to the pace right when it opened, there were at least a dozen trailers parked. Bro got off first, I had him tacked up already for the trip over, struck some nice super model poses while taking in all the sights (cows, sheep and irrigation oh my!). I hopped on and walked him around the trailer while my partner was getting ready with my trainer's trusty homebred hunt horse.

Off we went! Had to go right next to some large watering equipment right off the bat, Bro was fine with that. Blue barrels (the first jump) were quite a sight as he gave them a wide berth and goodly snort. We trotted most of the course where we could, walked on the gravel as Bro only has front shoes right now. We ended up passing a few teams and he was fine leaving horses behind and didn't become a turd when we got closer to others.

We seem to have conquered mud puddles, as he happily walked through the ones I pointed him at. There was a serious water hazard question that involved a steep bank up to a narrow stream. Our teammate just sat back and launched over the water like the field hunter he is. Unfortunately, Bro was perplexed at how to approach this question. Teammate came back over and we tried to follow right on their tail, but no dice. Luckily, everyone is so nice around here, a couple other teams had caught up and I told them to cross over. After about the 4th horse crossed, the lightbulb went off and he launched right over like a seasoned pro and happily cantered off with his proud self!

After that we continued on at our former pace and came up to some smaller jumps. I was tempted the whole time, but decided I'll try just one. Unfortunately, I forgot that my teammate has not been medically cleared to jump yet after a moderate concussion this summer. So I had to get Bro over it without a lead. Bear in mind he hasn't jumped in a couple weeks and maybe about 6 jumps total...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...type=1&theater

I think I found my event horse! And the canter that followed was just heavenly... Of course, not everything went as planned as he managed to grab his heel shortly after that and imitate stepping in a red paint can He wasn't ouchy on it, just looked ugly. I made the executive decision to walk the rest of the course and possibly pull out if he got sore. I thought we were 3/4 done when he clipped himself, but it turned out more like halfway. He's a trooper though! There was a serious bank we had to go down that I wasn't too sure if he'd be game, but we really had no other option- Insert "Man from Snowy River" scene into our Hunter Pace-.

We did trot a little more towards the end, he was sound on his bloodied foot and it clotted up just fine on its own. I don't know where we ended up placing, but I really couldn't care less about a ribbon, just completing it was a win in my book.

Now off to add gummy bell boots and a stud guard to my christmas list...

woot woot for you!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Friskyflea View Post
    But we had fun.

BEFORE

AFTER

We DO want to try for 1st, as you get an etched beer mug along with a ribbon. I have 2 already but would love a matched set of 4.

FF
    Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Heliodoro View Post
    Brolio went on his first field trip yesterday exactly 2 months post track and is going to need at least a day off for his brain to process everything!

I think I found my event horse! And the canter that followed was just heavenly...

I don't know where we ended up placing, but I really couldn't care less about a ribbon, just completing it was a win in my book.

Now off to add gummy bell boots and a stud guard to my christmas list...
    all this good news!!!!! and I bet he's already processed and waiting to go again

Did receive and update on Itch... he went to his first schooling show with his new person... they're still in LOVE and he was perfect!!!!!! I had no doubts as he is a finest

"Did receive and update on Itch... he went to his first schooling show with his new person... they're still in LOVE and he was perfect!!!!!! I had no doubts as he is a finest "

He is indeed! I always loved his kind eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliodoro View Post
    After that we continued on at our former pace and came up to some smaller jumps. I was tempted the whole time, but decided I'll try just one. Unfortunately, I forgot that my teammate has not been medically cleared to jump yet after a moderate concussion this summer. So I had to get Bro over it without a lead. Bear in mind he hasn't jumped in a couple weeks and maybe about 6 jumps total...

I think I found my event horse! And the canter that followed was just heavenly...
    Wow, can Bro jump!!! Congratulations "Heliodoro" -- I do indeed think you have found your event horse.
    The Finger Lakes Finest Trainer Listing Service
    http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com
    Find us on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/FingerLakesF...oroughbredsInc

Well, someday I'll get around to getting the blog entry with photos up, but we've had a long, long, fall ride around my parents' property, including through the woods (it's sort of a trail, more or less), something I've always wanted to do but could never really trust my old horse with (he had a thing about deer.) The REALLY funny thing was when I let myself out the side gate by the house, Puff (the COTH Giveaway Dog) just decided he was coming with us. Mom had to follow with Tucker, carrying leashes, but Puff was playing coach dog! Shadowed us all over the field and through the woods, up the hill by the house and through the yard, down the driveway...Lucky only batted an eye on the road, when for some reason he wanted nothing to do with crossing the river.

And poor Lucky, my brother has already asked if I thought the weather would be good for riding over Thanksgiving. And while I'll pretty much be there just the day of, my brother is using up vacation time and will be there for a week. And he lessons on much tougher nuts than Lucky.

Still waiting to see about a pasture mate, though. I guess they're setting up a time for the farrier to haul her mare (an Arab broodie she wants to retire from breeding, and since her husband had a car accident-well, hit by a truck in the TSC parking lot-and can't ride for the foreseeable future, they were looking to free-lease her somewhere she'd get more attention) so we can see if they get along.

Ya' better install a seat belt on that saddle...

ROFL
    FF
    Last edited by Friskyflea; Nov. 21, 2012 at 09:59 PM. Reason: typo

Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.