The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 91 of 113 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,820 of 2256

Default Chemung County Fair

So the Chemung County Fair Horse Show is in full swing and a number of our Finest's are representing! Oliver (Sunny Boy 'n Ben E), Murphy (East End Boy), Penny (Just Plan Partners), Bacall (My Little Love), Jack (Shalom), and Deckster (Stacking The Deck) are all at the fairgrounds and showing in various classes throughout this weekend. Show pictures are to come but I just had to share this hilarious picture of Oliver from today...couldn't resist.

Cheesin' It
    My OTTB and Finger Lakes Finest, Sunny Boy 'n Ben E and the old man, Salvator.

Check out Second Chance Thoroughbreds and like us on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon.Ryan18 View Post
    So the Chemung County Fair Horse Show is in full swing and a number of our Finest's are representing! Oliver (Sunny Boy 'n Ben E), Murphy (East End Boy), Penny (Just Plan Partners), Bacall (My Little Love), Jack (Shalom), and Deckster (Stacking The Deck) are all at the fairgrounds and showing in various classes throughout this weekend. Show pictures are to come but I just had to share this hilarious picture of Oliver from today...couldn't resist.

Cheesin' It
    So funny! Hope all of you have a great time. I'm looking forward to more pictures!

So proud of our Finest! Penny and Skye won the TIP award in the jumper division. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Secon...8420360?ref=hl

Quote Originally Posted by commandercody View Post
    So proud of our Finest! Penny and Skye won the TIP award in the jumper division. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Secon...8420360?ref=hl
    Congratulations!!! And how about your Deckster -- just a few months off the track and already doing hunter courses. Finests indeed!

Default A few more photos

So I thought I'd share a few more photos from the show.

My Priceless Penny, "Penny" - Just Plan Partners, Class of '11
    Jumping
    TIP High Point Award Head Shot

Lunar Eclipse, "Oliver" - Sunny Boy 'N Ben E, Class of '11
    Jumping
    Cantering

Stacking The Deck, "Deckster" - Class of '12
    Jumping
    Cantering

East End Boy, "Murphy" - Class of '11
    Jumping
    Trotting
    Being Cute

Shalom, "Jack" - Unraced
    Jumping 1
    Jumping 2

My Little Love, "Bacall" - Class of '97
    Jumping
    All Dolled Up

And here's a pic of Dewey (Whichbushdouprefer, Class of '08) from Stuart Horse Trials a few weeks ago :P

Shannon, great pictures! Glad to see everyone is doing well!

Bad news for me.. my wonderful BO has decided to close up shop and move back to her hometown, so River and my mare will be moving soon. I'm sure the new barn will be fine, but it sucks having to move .
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

Oh no! What's gonna happen to Dr. Lignom and River's extra young girlfriend (that filly next door)?

Bailey & I just finished our first clinic! Daniel Stewart was at my bff's barn this weekend. I have to say, it was so much fun!

The first day was interesting. Bailey's never ridden with a group of 9 horses, so he was tense...which made me tense...which made him tenser....etc, lol. We had some interesting fences to say the least. Watching it frame-by-frame was quite amusing! But the afternoon lesson was split up, and he did so well. We ended on a good note.

Today was just amazing. We had 2 psycho clinics, and he was such a rock star. We were jumping lines, diagonals, doing tight turns & rollbacks (all while under pressure). It was such a great learning experience! I am just so proud of him! It really boosted my confidence as well. Daniel is awesome to ride with!

I think we are going to try for a cross-country schooling in a few weeks. And if all goes well, we might aim for a low-key event in September. Here's hoping. Here's us jumping last week...https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4314743075810

(I also got my pictures back of him at my wedding. Have to share a few...they came out so well! Hands down one of the best presents ever. )

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-v...51213693_n.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-T...95232822_n.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-M...11426535_n.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-s...16113852_n.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-d...16793850_n.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-a...63573277_n.jpg
    Last edited by BoysNightOut; Aug. 12, 2012 at 10:59 PM.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    Bad news for me.. my wonderful BO has decided to close up shop and move back to her hometown, so River and my mare will be moving soon. I'm sure the new barn will be fine, but it sucks having to move .
    OMG you're kidding! Where are you guys going?

Agree Shannon, those pics are great!!! Thanks for sharing!

Fancy (Slate Grey class of 2010) is recovering from a tendon strain.... thankfully NOT a tear, as we were fearing. We are moving to an eventing barn.... SOON. Really looking forward to a new adventure, once she is healed.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

BNO, those pics are lovely. I adore the next to last one where he's eyeing your bouquet as if it's a treat for him.

Rest of the latest news is great from everyone except amastrike losing her boarding barn. Hope you find one ASAP.

Flash, glad to hear it's not a tendon tear so your recovery time with your lovely grey lady will be sooner.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Tally Me Out (class of 2010) and I had a great horse show this past weekend, and brought home quite a few blue ribbons! I had so much fun and left the ring every time with a huge smile plastered across my face!

And my apologies for my double chin in the first pic! HAHAH

http://i.imgur.com/6cfxS.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/vT6MM.jpg
    Last edited by Lazy-Pony; Aug. 13, 2012 at 12:33 PM. Reason: photos were too small!

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy-Pony View Post
    Tally Me Out (class of 2010) and I had a great horse show this past weekend, and brought home quite a few blue ribbons! I had so much fun and left the ring every time with a huge smile plastered across my face!

And my apologies for my double chin in the first pic! HAHAH

http://i.imgur.com/6cfxS.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/vT6MM.jpg
    Great news from one of my all time favorites!

Well, I went over to the new barn yesterday to get acquainted and learn what I'm doing to work off some of the board. It's a really nice place, so I'm sure we'll be happy there. I do prefer pasture board, but stall board won't be bad.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by SEPowell View Post
    Great news from one of my all time favorites!
    We received so many compliments at the show- everyone (and I mean everyone) adores this mare!
    I am so lucky to have found her!

Ok, Im not sure where to post this, but I am basically needing some cheering up/encouragement.
    Last year, I did get a horse through Finest, but he wasn't listed on the site. He was an awesome small, cute little pony (k- like 15' 3"). I hopped on, he was awesome, walk/trot, very green- not much steering, no bending, but tried and behaved. I was so excited, after the ride, I jumped off (carefully), and BAMM- he was gone. He bolted when I got off (I had someone holding him, so he didn't get far). I tried all different tactics- not much worked, so after about 7 tries- I sent him to a trainer- this was above me, and I didnt want to get hurt.
    Half-way through the training (that was going awesome), he developed a SERIOUS abscess,- abscess somewhat cleared up, finished training, came back to barn, I could get on and off- not completely comfortable, but good- NO MOVING, and getting better- speed things up, he had bone chips, so he went to Cornell, had them out, about 6 months stall rest/handwalking/lunging/ground work, TONS of FOOD, (and I mean tons), he grew- large- probably about 17 hands now (which is good), and tons of TLC.
    Now, he's healthy alright. We have done TONS of ground work. But he likes to bolt/spook with me now. I called in two trainers, the first, and then another one. The first trainer- gave up Tuesday, said he'll never settle and I should give up too. The second -is determined. Right now, I know he has my nerves, so we are planning on trying another guinea pig to ride him through his issues.
    Has anyone been through this? Any ideas? He's 4, but this is like a complete game to him. I think he's nervous, but not scared. He is an AWESOME friendly guy, but...he needs to settle. I don't expect a perfect horse, I *thought* I was experienced enough- I have always had OTTBs except for the baby that wasn't on the track...but...he has me now though.
    I am trying WHATEVER I can. I don't know if I will ever be the right person for him, but at the very least, I want him to be able to have a good home, with someone, if not me, and if he's sound and can't behave under saddle?...It doesn't look the best for his future- a pasture horse? Thanks for any suggestions anyone has. I am NOT a quitter. sigh
    Last edited by Callista17; Aug. 15, 2012 at 01:38 PM. Reason: perfecting!

So at this moment he's at a very determined second trainer?

And when does he bolt?

Callista-
    It sounds like he's at a good place with this determined trainer.
    However, if he were mine (and being 4) I wouldn't be too pushy and I'd probably turn him out and let him grow up and be a horse. I'd stick him in a paddock with other horses, groom him, bond with him, and start training once he's matured. BUT I am probably in the minority here.

Thanks, yes, very determined second trainer who loves him. She is actually the BO, who generally does not work with TBs, but has, and generally works w/"problem children"- she loves rearing horses! (I dont).
    He bolts when he feels like it. Sometimes when he's bored, sees a cat, is asked to do something he doesn't want to, he "hears part of the sentence, jumps to conclusions, but doesn't stop to listen", then panics. He DOES NOT STOP and settle. You can keep him under control, but he won't stop his antics-he'll "roll' into another episode -we call him a drama queen, and know he's immature.
    Thanks Lazy-pony. Technically the first trainer is THEE problem horse trainer in the area, and he gave up. I asked him about full time training or a year off- he said once bad always bad under saddle (basically, with the way he was acting). He said he did not believe it would make a difference. Unfortunately the farrier even said...ehhh once they act like that....But this horse is NOT spooky on the ground- hes a love bug!
    Sigh...now there is new info. While I wasn't there this morning, the second trainer did put someone else on, and said with long lines, and a person w/a lot of rein contact (first they didn't have it, and he started his antics), he was a very good boy- so there is hope I am happy about it, but that means it was me, or the way I was doing things (which, when I was on, was basically with the first trainer, the second was doing a lot of weekly ground work w/me). (They would both be there for a weekly first trainer lesson.)
    Maybe the first trainer just wasn't the right one? Good news, is it seems he's headed in the right direction...Just not sure if its with me (if I had more contact, would he have behaved?).
    Thanks for everyones advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Callista17 View Post
    Thanks, yes, very determined second trainer who loves him. She is actually the BO, who generally does not work with TBs, but has, and generally works w/"problem children"- she loves rearing horses! (I dont).
    He bolts when he feels like it. Sometimes when he's bored, sees a cat, is asked to do something he doesn't want to, he "hears part of the sentence, jumps to conclusions, but doesn't stop to listen", then panics. He DOES NOT STOP and settle. You can keep him under control, but he won't stop his antics-he'll "roll' into another episode -we call him a drama queen, and know he's immature.
    Thanks Lazy-pony. Technically the first trainer is THEE problem horse trainer in the area, and he gave up. I asked him about full time training or a year off- he said once bad always bad under saddle (basically, with the way he was acting). He said he did not believe it would make a difference. Unfortunately the farrier even said...ehhh once they act like that....But this horse is NOT spooky on the ground- hes a love bug!
    Sigh...now there is new info. While I wasn't there this morning, the second trainer did put someone else on, and said with long lines, and a person w/a lot of rein contact (first they didn't have it, and he started his antics), he was a very good boy- so there is hope I am happy about it, but that means it was me, or the way I was doing things (which, when I was on, was basically with the first trainer, the second was doing a lot of weekly ground work w/me). (They would both be there for a weekly first trainer lesson.)
    Maybe the first trainer just wasn't the right one? Good news, is it seems he's headed in the right direction...Just not sure if its with me (if I had more contact, would he have behaved?).
    Thanks for everyones advice!
    I agree with Lazy Pony's approach.. take it very very slowly, give him lots of time to grow up, learn etc. And listen to your new trainer.

I LOVE seeing all of these updates. I've been unable to be much of a presence on the track, but I know many of these horses. It is incredibly satisfying to see that they are all rocking their OTTB glory! Sorry that you're having problems Callista: I think settling is one good piece of advice but the other is to find a rider who can stick the bolt and then make him work for the naughtiness. Once physical reasons are ruled out, you can probably figure that he's having a bit of fun and getting away with it is his objective. Best of luck!

Whichbuschdoyouprefer used to knock heads with my old gelding, Radar, on the race track! I missed him at Stuart because I didn't recognize his barn name. I was there to watch another Finest, The Jolly. She rocked! In fact, three OTTBs placed 1,2,3 in their division!!

A story about My Little Love (Bacall) belonged to my daughter and her husband about 14-15 years ago when she was still racing. She won her last race for them the day after they married. Shortly thereafter she walked into the shedrow and Love wasn't there. When she asked where she was she was informed that she was "gone". She was brokenhearted because she didn't know where she went and has wondered about her for all of these years. (And, no, they aren't married anymore.....). Needless to say I was thrilled to finally have Shannon make mention of her and I quickly verified that it was, indeed, the beautiful little filly that DD had yanked out from under her. She was so happy to see pictures of her looking so shiny and beautiful! Many kudos and thanks for the people who have taken such good care of her all of these years.

Lazy Pony, I agree that your story with Tally is one of my fondest. But, dang, I can't open your pics here at work. Grrr! She is truly a magnificent mare and even straight off the track she was a looker!

East End Boy is another one that was a fave. Cuter than a speckled pop, that one!

Keep these updates coming pleeeeease!