The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Help with pricing! Update (with photos!) Post #21

My friend was just offered to by their dream horse that they have been 1/2 leasing. They told friend to name a price. Any ball park figures would be great as I'm not the best at judging that.

Horse is an aged (18-20) year old huge imported/branded WB gelding. Was brought over for BNR (Jumper). Horse wasn't cut for the big stuff so has been basically a lesson horse his whole life. No show record. Has some quirks (like OMG spook were going to die) then will return back to normal business like self. Needs advanced rider. No major soundness issues although has some stiff days when he gets overworked by lessoners. Can jump 3' + but again has a few spooky issues (flower boxes, shadows etc.). Needs 4 shoes. Known to be a bit of a hard keeper. I'm pretty sure is ulcer prone. Is in the NE.

I don't want friend to offend the owner, but again don't want to have them overpay. What would you offer?
    Last edited by Belleaphant; Oct. 6, 2014 at 12:35 PM.
    Proud owner of Belle- 17.2h PerchxTB-wannabe dressage horse & Fayah 14.1H arab-trail horse extroidinaire!

Anyone? I'm just talking ball park here... $5k? $10k?, free to good home ?
    Proud owner of Belle- 17.2h PerchxTB-wannabe dressage horse & Fayah 14.1H arab-trail horse extroidinaire!

Do a quick and dirty search on individual horses on Dreamhorse, WarmbloodsforSale, etc. Is horse being bought "as is" or will there be a PPE? If I were leasing the horse, then I assume that it has some value because I was paying to lease it. I would not offer "free to a good home." The owner said to name a price. I would name something.
    Where Fjeral Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Gosh the price of a horse is so dependent on the area and suitability. In summary it is a nice mature ulcer prone, hard keeper, sometimes spooky 3' gelding that requires an advanced rider and 4 shoes. If the lessee is happy with all of that management I would say no more than 5K though personally I would not pay that much for a horse as described.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Belleaphant View Post
    My friend was just offered to buy their dream horse that they have been 1/2 leasing.They told friend to name a price.
    IMHO, the owners are playing on your friend's emotions for this horse and are hoping to get more money than the horse is worth.

The horse is towards the end of his lesson horse career which I say because he is probably going to need to not jump as high or work as hard soon and lesson students of that skill level tend to not be advanced riders. And as SLW noted, the horse is a "nice mature ulcer prone, hard keeper, sometimes spooky 3' gelding that requires an advanced rider and 4 shoes" so is not exactly cheap to keep and will not be getting cheaper.

What would you offer?
    Me? I would make them name a prices and go from there... Although if I was made to name a price, I agree with SLW.

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks everyone.
    okay well I guess I should add that the owner passed away. The person in charge of the horse is I guess a bookkeeper from what I gather. The Will was a mess. They gave friend a "reasonable "price range of $10k- 15k!?!? That's reasonable?? So I'm guessing they're not a horse person and is just looking up "comparable horses". Maybe friend should get a PPE and hope he has changes or something they can use...
    I was in the $2,500-5k range. Friend is so frustrated. I'm 99% sure if horse goes to auction it won't bring that much. Although maybe friend can purchase him then...

1 members found this post helpful.

I bought my first horse from a dead guy. Freaky thing was he & my dad worked horses together years earlier& had a similar manner. First time dad saw the horse, I swear the mare acted like she was seeing a ghost. (OMG the tall old black guy is now a shorter old white guy!)

If I were your friend and really wanted the horse, I would:

a) find comparable horses on Dreamhorse, craigslist, etc. Actual comparables - 20 year old hard rides, not 12 year old push button rides.

b) get the prices of horses going through whatever local sale you think this horse is headed to.

c) Add up what it costs to put a horse through the above auction - gas, consignment fees, etc. Compare to the average sale price found above.

Present this to the executor with the offer. Show them that $15k is not reasonable for a horse more than likely than not to end up on a truck to Canada. If they decline, ask which auction they are planning on taking him to and wish them well. Then buy the horse at the sale.

4 members found this post helpful.

I was going to say no more than $7,500-8,000 without knowing more. A few years ago a 19 year old schoolmaster gelding sold near me for $7,500. He too was a fancy imported warmblood who needed an intermediate-advanced rider. And he sold quick - less than 1 week on the market.

Red mares I was thinking along the same lines. I'm hoping they will just come to their senses. Friend can't afford a super expensive horse that will pretty much be in semi-retirement. They were ready to drop $15k on a new shedrow this weekend as their current 2 stall is in need of repair and he would be their 3rd horse (horse needs to be gone by Oct 1 and zoning won't allow a permanent barn).

$5-8k, depending on how good he is when he is going good.

Old horse, training issues, needs extra care (shoes) = $500, max 1K IMO.
    Sandy in Fla.

3 members found this post helpful.

I was going to say $2.5-3k

thanks everyone! Dream horse/ Cl wasn't a big help. Most 18-20 yr olds are "schoolmasters" BTDT kind of horses. Not many for sale that are comparable.

Cross your fingers that I come back in a week or so with happy news...
    (I just want it to happen b/c I want to ride him!)

Thanks everyone.
    okay well I guess I should add that the owner passed away. The person in charge of the horse is I guess a bookkeeper from what I gather. The Will was a mess. They gave friend a "reasonable "price range of $10k- 15k!?!? That's reasonable?? So I'm guessing they're not a horse person and is just looking up "comparable horses". Maybe friend should get a PPE and hope he has changes or something they can use...
    I was in the $2,500-5k range. Friend is so frustrated. I'm 99% sure if horse goes to auction it won't bring that much. Although maybe friend can purchase him then...
    That is tough! I think you're correct unless the horse is fancy enough to go win at some big shows right now.

Quote Originally Posted by red mares View Post
    I bought my first horse from a dead guy. Freaky thing was he & my dad worked horses together years earlier& had a similar manner. First time dad saw the horse, I swear the mare acted like she was seeing a ghost. (OMG the tall old black guy is now a shorter old white guy!)

If I were your friend and really wanted the horse, I would:

a) find comparable horses on Dreamhorse, craigslist, etc. Actual comparables - 20 year old hard rides, not 12 year old push button rides.

b) get the prices of horses going through whatever local sale you think this horse is headed to.

c) Add up what it costs to put a horse through the above auction - gas, consignment fees, etc. Compare to the average sale price found above.

Present this to the executor with the offer. Show them that $15k is not reasonable for a horse more than likely than not to end up on a truck to Canada. If they decline, ask which auction they are planning on taking him to and wish them well. Then buy the horse at the sale.
    I love that image!

And the rest of the advice is really great, too.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

If she wants to buy it for a reasonable price maybe consider finding someone who deals in WB or hj horses in your area and offer him a small fee to "appraise" the horse and give the evaluation in writing.

Or write a 2500 to 5000 offer and state your reasons. Not just listing the negatives but giving estimated costs of care and so on since they aren't horse people. Include a listing for a 15,000 horse and explain the differences. Don't focus so much on the hard keeper part because a new buyer won't have those details, but offer that since they already are aware of the hard keeper issue and are willing to continue the care they might be a better choice for the horse in the long run so it continues to get the care it needs and isn't resold or left to deteriorate.

Horse might place at some small jumper shows.. but chances are if there are funky rails/flower boxes, shadows, boogie men under the judges booth/etc... he's going to have a spaz moment. Although no one would know that looking at him at auction. They would see a nice horse. Too bad he looks good because that alone would bring $$$.

If he were a safe packer over fences that could pin based on how well he is ridden- a little flair/boldness with an experienced rider or careful with a less experienced rider- he would command the 8-10K price even with the hard keeping issues. With all the additional info the estate would do well to focus on finding an excellent home that can afford him, $$$ should be off the table IMO.

One thought before I toss the gelding out with the wash stall. That spookiness can be directed related to ulcers. I'd find out if he has ever been treated for ulcers and if that did away with the spooks. Ulcers can be affordably managed with diet and care.

Quote Originally Posted by Training Cupid View Post
    I was going to say $2.5-3k
    This would have been my guess and I'm in the North East.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Update: Thanks again everyone for your help! It has been a stressful few weeks with a few ups and downs. But in the end it worked out!! Horse is coming home Saturday! I'll update with photos once everything settles. Btw most of you were right on with the pricing
    Last edited by Belleaphant; Oct. 6, 2014 at 11:11 AM.

Deleted, posted before reading update