The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 113 1231151101 ... LastLast

Default Finger Lakes' Finest roll call!

I thought I would start a thread so that those of us with (or soon to have) some of Finger Lakes' Finest racetrack retirees could post updates on our new equines.

I just acquired Lucky To Cope, a seven-year-old gelding. Lucky is currently getting used to being out of work. Lots of handwalking, hanging out in the paddock, and some groundwork. Today I fitted the bridle I have on him--he's much smaller around the muzzle than I thought. And he seems to like the copper D I bought for him (though once we get to the riding point, we'll see if I need to upgrade to the jointed uxeter kimberwicke or the rubber mullen-mouth pelham.) And we discovered that he does not have any fear of the lunge whip (good) and hasn't got the first idea what lunging is (potentially a problem. But we will see how important that ends up being.)

This needs a big bump up. There are a lot of people this year, and previous as well, that have taken home some of Finger Lakes Finest. Course some of this years crop are still in transit and some others are probably busy with them right now. Hope they see this. I want to watch the progress.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I'll play! Market View has been with me for about a month and a half now. I've done nothing with him except feed him treats, try blankets on him, and let him get good and dirty! Oh, I did lunge him a couple of times. He was totally clueless at first why I wanted him to run circles around me, but picked it up quickly. He is very sweet; he is one of those if you tell him to stop, he is like "YES MA'AM!" He doesn't test his limits....which is very nice with a 17 hand horse!

I am looking forward to riding him eventually, but I am enjoying just spending time with him right now.

My boy from last year (Will He Call, or Will) is still with me too. He has a very similiar temperament; he never pushes his boundaries. He is so, so good under saddle...he has never done anything naughty whatsoever. He loves giving kisses, and doesn't hesitate to lick your face while he is at it. He is just a doll!

I've aquired The Jolly from our foundationmare! She's an 8 year old bay mare with one foal. I've had her since october, and right now we are still working on conditioning. Shes been a blast, such a lovely ride. She tries so so so hard. I can't believe how fast shes come along, I think I will start popping her over fences in a week or two, now that we can canter with confidence under saddle (she could barely trot a few times around the indoor when I first got her, shes still weak to the right but what racehorse isnt?). I hope to truck her over to Carol Kozlowski's place this winter to get her off the farm (and me a few lessons) a few times before Carol goes down south - we shall see!

Dancer - I'm so happy you started this thread. It will be fun to follow the progress of all the finest!! Looks like you're off to a fine start.

I have Chequer Cat and Red Tail's Wish! I just got them on Friday.

Chequer Cat is a fun boy - he's smart, curious and happy, happy, happy! he's very sweet and overall very mannerly. He was SO excited on day one for T/O. He's like a little boy that can hardly contain his excitement - he bubbles over. He's also a peppermint hound I'm looking forward to starting work with him because I think he's going to be a really fun horse.

Red Tail's Wish is a very feminine filly and it's hard to believe she's only 3. I've never seen a youngster as quiet as this. Daughter leads her everywhere on a loose lead. She doesn't look twice at anything she's seen yet. She's not an affectionate girl - she's indifferent, as if she's not sure why we fuss with her. Not to worry though, daughter will definitely help her see the light. I believe she has ulcers, so we'll be treating her for those. We'll give her some time to bond, then our first training lesson is going to be loading. When we picked her up, loading was pretty traumatic, so we're going to take our time and build trust and confidence.

Daughter and I went shopping yesterday for new halters. Chequer got a navy blue with polka dots and RTW (now knows as Gracie) is dressed in lavender - which is a very becoming color on her as she's a dark roan. Also, her head is so dainty she wears a cob size!!

Will definitely try to get pictures this week.

Oh, Lucky (it looks like that's going to be his barn name until and unless something suggests itself) is a total peppermint hound. He's also fond of carrots, and the medicated cookies I bought him (joint sups.) If anything we're going to have a discussion about manners--ie you don't mouth the pocket to get the treats. However, it IS a useful motivator for standing quietly at the mounting block.

I have Northern Blue! He came home a week ago yesterday. He will get the winter off and start back in the spring. A very quiet, loving horse. I wish my homebreds who have already been home a month from FL were this well behaved... I can't wait to put a saddle on him!

Quote Originally Posted by EventingJ View Post
    I've aquired The Jolly from our foundationmare! She's an 8 year old bay mare with one foal. I've had her since october, and right now we are still working on conditioning. Shes been a blast, such a lovely ride. She tries so so so hard. I can't believe how fast shes come along, I think I will start popping her over fences in a week or two, now that we can canter with confidence under saddle (she could barely trot a few times around the indoor when I first got her, shes still weak to the right but what racehorse isnt?). I hope to truck her over to Carol Kozlowski's place this winter to get her off the farm (and me a few lessons) a few times before Carol goes down south - we shall see!
    You've picked the best trainer for sure! Can you tell I'm very fond of Carol. She's great with all types of riders whether you're planning on competing or just a little old lady trying to get/keep her confidence up!

She got a barn sale coming up this weekend 12/12. Go look for some great bargains!
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I got Nightintheslammer a month ago....he was not posted on the Finger Lakes site, I got him directly from the trainer there. He was one I had followed for almost 3 years. Formerly a Paraneck horse, he was bought by someone else last March, thankfully...

He is turned out with a horse I got thru CANTER in September, and they are great together. He likely will be a pasture companion as he has a chip and significant arthritis in his knee. We drained it and injected with Legend to make him more comfortable. He's about 17.3hh but is the best to be around, leads in and out of his paddock great, stands on the cross ties, doesn't care about the clippers or anything else at this point; lovely, lovely horse. I wish I had gotten him before the injury but at least he is never going to race again!

Minthill--I would love to see pictures!! Love the big guys!

Minthill - you are the best. He must be one special guy

msj: my daughter did a clinic with Carol 2 yrs ago. She was great with kids and adults alike. Hope she'll be back this way next year, I'll have a horse to clinic on

I'm so glad that so many FL horses have gone home with COTHers this year. Looking forward to reading the updates on this thread.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    You've picked the best trainer for sure! Can you tell I'm very fond of Carol. She's great with all types of riders whether you're planning on competing or just a little old lady trying to get/keep her confidence up!

She got a barn sale coming up this weekend 12/12. Go look for some great bargains!

Carol is awesome for sure. My bff had worked for her a year or so ago, before she went off to spain. Shes back home now and I beleive shes going to work with one of Carol's horses (I can't think of his name but a big grey) while Carol is south this winter to get ready for Carol to get her dressage scores on. I was also able to gallop on some of her lovely trails on a hunt horse they had there, shes such a great person - she is so involved in the eventing community here its ridiculous!

Lucky had another good day, even with the snow starting. For one thing, he is a saint about the barn kitten with no sense of self-preservation. She rubs on his ankles like she would with people, and she likes to do things like try and climb my leg while I'm doing his feet! I had him out in the bridle again today, and I worked with him on the mounting block, even getting a leg over his back, and he was a trouper about it. We even had our first experiment with standing alone in the cross-ties, without a lead on, and he handled that well. He probably will get a few days' break from me now--I work 9-5 T-Th, so it'll be dark before I could get down there. I'm sure he'll be fine with just turning out and grazing all day, which seems to be his new favorite passtime.

Thumbs up

I am so happy to see so many of this year's crop go to fellow COTHers!

It's no secret that I bought Devil's Whip last November and had him shipped to Colorado. Pretty weird for me to buy a horse sight unseen and have him trailered 5 days to my house, but all's well that ends well.
    Photo from his FL listing. Pretty good looking dude!

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL11.../379200467.jpg

He was a doll as soon as he got here and I started riding him within a day or 2.
    This is him his first day in the mountains, looking pretty good after such a long journey!

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL11.../379200466.jpg

Short rides at first, (re)learning the basics. Since then, I've had many, many fun trail rides with him. We especially like to gallop down the soft dirt road or out in the meadows. He is also learning to jump and seems to enjoy that as well.
    We've had a few setbacks - he developped a full blown case of White Line disease last winter, broke my leg in February, lost a ton of weight this summer (he had Pigeon Fever!), but he is now doing great again and enjoying his weekly dressage lessons. He is FUN to ride!

Good looking boy!

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL11.../379200669.jpg

I'd love to see photos of the other FL finest!

Wow, BEARCAT, he's put you through the wringer, eh? So happy that he's found a great home with you. Hope the health issues are behind you!

I know that you wondered about Chequer Cat (I think?????). He's found a terrific home in Saratoga and I couldn't be happier!

Any interest in another Finest? There MAY be a trailer going to Colorado tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by EventingJ View Post
    Carol is awesome for sure. My bff had worked for her a year or so ago, before she went off to spain. Shes back home now and I beleive shes going to work with one of Carol's horses (I can't think of his name but a big grey) while Carol is south this winter to get ready for Carol to get her dressage scores on. I was also able to gallop on some of her lovely trails on a hunt horse they had there, shes such a great person - she is so involved in the eventing community here its ridiculous!
    That big grey's barn name is Big Hawk and she and he evented to Intermediate I believe. He's an extremely lovely flea-bitten (Boy I hate that term) grey. But then again, I love any grey.
    Sue

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Lucky had another good day, even with the snow starting. For one thing, he is a saint about the barn kitten with no sense of self-preservation. She rubs on his ankles like she would with people, and she likes to do things like try and climb my leg while I'm doing his feet! I had him out in the bridle again today, and I worked with him on the mounting block, even getting a leg over his back, and he was a trouper about it. We even had our first experiment with standing alone in the cross-ties, without a lead on, and he handled that well. He probably will get a few days' break from me now--I work 9-5 T-Th, so it'll be dark before I could get down there. I'm sure he'll be fine with just turning out and grazing all day, which seems to be his new favorite passtime.
    I'm chuckling about the kitten. That's how I ended up with a house cat. A stray left at the barn was small enough to crawl under some of the stall doors, and proceeded to try to crawl up my horse's leg as I was putting on polo wraps. Then she had the audacity to chase us around the indoor! She got a prompt ride to the vet for an immediate check up (thank you Vet for taking her late one evening without an appointment) and home with me. She's buried at my farm along with several dogs and other cats and horses.
    Sue

Default The Jolly

Hey Jannah,

Would you like to post pictures of The Jolly for everyone to see? As I've stated so many times, I'm delighted that you have her!

Oh yes, Big Hawk! I never actually met him, she was keeping him at her house I think the few times I've been to Mothersfield. I really hope to get her over there soon, although the steady guy I was thinking about bringing along with her has lymphangitis right now, and his owner (my bff) has a broken arm! hopefully both can recover in short order.

Margie - i love posting pics, I have a link in my signature lin to all of the pictures I have of her so far. These are about a month old now since I've been riding in the indoor, no pictures really come out because its so dark and dusty.

Here she is one of the first days I brought her home. I think the second time I ever had her on the lunge, she looks so sleek in her summer coat still!

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

One of our first rides in the big front ring

sort of a confo shot at the end of one of our rides in the big front ring

first couple of times over poles

and one last one

shes a great girl, I'm so happy to have her