The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Legs NOT "stocking up" on stall rest?

Why, after the first week on stall rest, did the FatPaintMare's legs NOT stock up anymore?

I've had the FatPaintMare for almost 4 years. During most of this time, she was out for 12hrs a day, and in for 12. Always, always, always if she did not get her turnout (weather, showing, etc.), her hind legs would "stock up", sometimes all the way to her hocks, which would go away with a few moments of walking. Even just stalled for the 12hrs, she would have some swelling.

But, after the first week of stall rest when she was on Bute and of course she did not have any swelling, she was pulled off BUTE.

She was in her stall for 23.45hrs a day and NO swelling. For 4.5 months.

Could someone explain this to me?

Flightcheck
    ~who is of course at an airport, simmering with GLEE there are NO MORE AIRPORT TRIPS for 2009!!!!~

Maybe after a while she got comfortable enough with the confinement that she spent a lot of time just chilling on the ground?
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*
    Proud Momma of *Capital Kiss* and Bottle Rocket!

Maybe she had something minor going on in the hind legs that caused the swelling and the bute and stall rest helped it resolve?

Maybe being in the stall all day she started pacing around the stall rather than just standing and is getting enough walking to keep from stocking up?

It is weird, but I had the same thing happen to my guy when he was stall rested for months after fracturing a tibia in a couple of places. He stocked up for about the first week, then no more for the duration. I guess their bodies "get used to" not walking so much and quit depending on walking to improve circulation? We need a vet to weigh in on this one
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

So bizarre you should bring this up. Had Mr. Ed's coffin joints done on Friday. He is on day two of stall rest. RH ALWAYS stocks up due to past cellulitis. /Got to the barn today and his legs were tight as a tick. Not on bute. So strange.
    Last edited by Gry2Yng; Dec. 6, 2009 at 06:43 PM.

This always happens. My horses live outside until the weather gets bad (right around now) and then they go in at night. The first month or so of coming in at night they get pretty stocked up, because they arent used to standing so long. Their bodies get used to it and eventually their legs dont stock up anymore when inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthehorse View Post
    This always happens. My horses live outside until the weather gets bad (right around now) and then they go in at night. The first month or so of coming in at night they get pretty stocked up, because they arent used to standing so long. Their bodies get used to it and eventually their legs dont stock up anymore when inside.
    Same here - it takes less than a week for my mare, though.

when horses come in from the field and go into a concrete stable floor there legs might stock up as the floor isnt as fexable as earth

when a horse is on stall rest - then its in to keep the leg stable then concrete floor helps this stability becuase its hard and not flexible

if a horse - is out morjority of the time then comes in for long periods it can stock up as it can time to adjust to the floor of the stable

and it depends on the type of flooring used if not concrete

also bute is an anti inflamatry