The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Treating Rain Rot in the cold weather?

So, I picked up my new pony yesterday. But he has a really bad case of rain rot all over his body. And of course, temps are in the steady 30's, and I have no access to an indoor wash stall, only outdoor.

What are some good methods for treating rain rot in cold weather? Hopefully the temps will get in the 40's sometime this week, and I will give him a good bath with Betadine, followed by tons of coolers and hay to keep him warm.

But I'm also looking for methods I can do now without bathing him. I'll be deworming him this week as well. I put on some Nolvasan this morning.

Any tips are appreciated....he's such a sweetie, but in serious need of some TLC!
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

You can wash him in the aisle. Use buckets of the hottest water and antibiotic solution you can stand and LOTS of towels. Wet towel in solution and wring out well, scrub, dry with towel and cover with another towel. Do horse in sections, then cover with a cooler and blankets. Remember to keep washing whatever is touching skin under blankets with disinfectant. Liners come in really handy here. I also use Wellhorse on rainrot after picking off scabs. Seems to get rid of it after two applications. It's expensive, but it works so fast (at least for me), that it's worth it.

Keep him warm, keep him dry. Blanketing is usually a good option. I do not wash horses with this problem, ANY wetness only encourages the infection, even water with betadine in it. Increasing the warmth of the skin encourages circulation, which helps with combating the infection. With extensive scabbing on the skin, the hair will no longer piloerect, so the horse will get cold, and with cold, less circulation. So it all becomes a vicious circle, leading to poorer and poorer condition and health of the horse, unless the circle is broken.

Bad cases may also respond to systemic anti fungal or anti biotic drugs, administered in conjunction with the blanketing and keeping the horse DRY. Sometimes treating topically with an anti fungal anti biotic cream with a steroid in it will help relieve swelling due to the infection, kills the pain, and also will encourage blood flow through the skin.

Keeping the horse stabled, warm, and dry is the key. All the hair will fall off, he will be nekkid for a while after the infection is cleared up. Again, blanketing will keep him warm for the rest of the winter, in place of the hair once it is gone. Good luck, sounds like an icky case.

What about using a powder to treat it - like Gold Bond, or an athlete's foot powder? That might help...

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I HIGHLY recommend Equiderma, it clears up rainrot fast (usually within one or two appliations), you don't need to bathe the horse, you only apply it every other day, and can use it sparingly, only applying to the actually scabby areas. It is not cheap, but comes with a money back guarantee, and because you don't need a ton of it to work, it lasts a long time.

http://www.equiderma.com/store/produ...products_id=33
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

I've got him in a mid-weight blanket, to keep him warm and dry. It is finally cold enough that the ground is mostly frozen, so minimal mud.

He has a few large patches of scabs, and lots of "bumps" where little scabs are covered by hair. His neck has a few scabs, but isn't too bad....his back and hindquarters are disgusting. He also has chunks of mane missing, replaced by scabby skin. I'm going to take pictures tomorrow....it's something you have to see to believe. Brushing got me nowhere...everything, including dirt, is just so caked on it's like glue.

He also had this rain rot when I went to go look at him...that was almost a month ago. So this has been an ongoing problem.

I'll look into that Equiderma...looks like it might help a bunch with this.

I feel so bad for him....he is a total sweetheart, and should not have gotten to this state. I bought him because I didn't want to leave him there....he is a cute mover, and nicely built....he should be a nice pony once he comes out of his shell of grossness, and develops some muscle. I wanted a project, and boy did I get one. He's going to be worth it though.

Thanks for the advice!
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010

My guys got a little bit of rain rot on their backs. It was a nice day a few days ago so I took their blankets off and out of nowhere a rain storm came in and it got REALLY cold.

They don't have a run in right now so I had to put blankets on but I knew putting blankets on wet horses was going to make rain rot

The next day I curried curried curried and then MTG-ed

I love MTG. It stinks and is messy, but it WORKS! I do blanket over top. Just takes some blanket washing and maintenance. Warning...test a small area first. Some horses react to it

My guy came up with it a couple of weeks ago. I did Nolvasan for 4 days and that didn't do a thing (though it normally works). Busted out the MTG and it's pretty much gotten it gone after 3 applications. I'm sure his back is cold from the oil keeping it moist but I had to get it under control. Better to do it now before we get into the hard part of winter I figure.

I have had good luck with MTG as well. The last bad case of it I had to deal with was a new horse who required at least 4 people to bathe, and a wall to pin him against. (Apparently that was something else his breeder didn't teach him before he was 2 with a mind of his own)

For him we used a spray bottle of betadine solution and applied it like flyspray to the affected areas every day, then bathed every 3-4 day when we had enough people. I would spray it on, let soak for about 10 min and then curry and pick scabs as best as he would let me. It took a while to clear up, but did work well for him since bathing wasn't an option. Thankfully by the time we did get it cleared up he was over his issues with bathing!

And don't forget to make sure that you're feeding a balanced diet with enough Selenium, Copper, and Zinc (well, it's 2 of the 3, but I can't remember which 2). That will help. Also, curry, curry, curry with a soft face curry. Get the blood flowing in the affected areas. This is what cleared up my gelding's rain rot on his legs that wouldn't respond to scrubbing, antifungals, antibiotics, etc.

I've been feeding him 4qts. of Blue Seal Carb-Guard a day, which is the feed my other horse is on. He also gets free choice hay outside. I just picked him up this weekend, and the previous owner was feeding him this amount in another pellet, so I will figure out a feed plan for him, and switch him over gradually.

I'll take pictures this afternoon when I go do chores, and post them tonight.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010

Ditto on the dietary suggestions. When you get a chance review his diet.

Banxx is very good and it doesn't require washing.

Sounds like he could use some inside out detox - SmartPak makes some very appealing immune supplements, called Smart Protect, I believe...

I'll also endorse the Equiderma -- I believe Munchkins Mom recommended it to me when I asked this question about a month ago. Fabulous stuff, worked in 2 applications on some widespread rain rot on a 3 year old filly. I'm using it on my Yorkie now on a couple of itchy spots. Just rub it in and leave it, it will dry. Good luck!
    PennyG

Quote Originally Posted by TKR View Post
    I'll also endorse the Equiderma -- I believe Munchkins Mom recommended it to me when I asked this question about a month ago. Fabulous stuff, worked in 2 applications on some widespread rain rot on a 3 year old filly. I'm using it on my Yorkie now on a couple of itchy spots. Just rub it in and leave it, it will dry. Good luck!
    PennyG
    Glad you had the same results that I have had with Equiderma. It also works great on cannon bone crud (fungus), and insect bites.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

One of the girls from my barn just bought the Equiderma stuff as well. It's kind of strange, because it is literally like lotion. But she isn't showing anytime soon, and his hair is THICK, so she couldn't get the lotion/equiderma to his skin. She ended up shaving little patches on his back where he had the rain rot so she didn't waste as much trying to put it on, and the rain rot went away immediately. Looked kind of goofy, but it will grow back soon!

Quote Originally Posted by RnR View Post
    his hair is THICK, so she couldn't get the lotion/equiderma to his skin.
    Wow, that must be one thick hair coat. If I do have to apply it when they have their winter coats, I just hold the hair back from the scabby area, and drip the Equiderma lotion right from the bottle onto the scab.

Thanks for all the good suggestions guys!

Well, just got back from the barn because he somehow gashed his leg right at the stifle....so, Day 2 and already a vet bill, sigh. He'll be ok, had some stitches, hopefully it will heal up soon. Was deep, but mostly just superficial...will need to be cleaned daily to hopefully prevent any joint infections. No idea how he did it though.....he was in the indoor all night, and we couldn't find blood/hair anywhere. Oh horses.

Vet said no way is he 3yrs..more like 2 or 2 1/2. He also is a 3/9 on the BCS, and weight taped at 754lbs. He looks a lot better since I've groomed the heck out of him twice, but still just yuck. I feel so horrible for him...he's so sweet and loving. But his neck and butt are so skinny, and you can see his ribs. There is no way he should have gotten to this point. But I can see the potential there, because he's put together nicely, and I think once filled out and grown, is going to be a cute little guy. I'm glad I bought him, he's such a character already...loves to be pet, and loooves hay. He is so excited everytime he gets fed, poor guy is hungry!

So he's on SMZ's right now, which may help with the rainrot. Bute for a couple of days for the leg as well. Vet collected a fecal while she was there, so we can see what he may have and worm as needed. Also drew blood, and cultured the wound. So a full vet workup to see what's going on inside.

It's going to be in the 40's on Wednesday, so we are going to give him a quick betadine bath (he needs a bath regardless, he's so encrusted with dirt and mud and scabs) and cover him with coolers and blankets. My BO has a DMSO/Novalsan mix in a small bottle that she used on her horse, as well as MicroTek...anybody have any experiences with that? I also am going to look into getting the Equiderma....it sounds like good stuff.

Thanks for all the help...."Fievel" greatly appreciates it!

(I will post pictures soon....after several hours freezing in the barn, I didn't have the energy to take them today).
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010

Before I discovered Equiderma (when I moved here to Florida), I had used other products, some worked (Muck-Itch, Fung-Away) but took a long time, and the Microtek made both my horses break out in hives (so I would spot test first if you decide to use it). Also, be careful of mixing products, I think it was betadine and M-T-G that actually causes hair loss.