The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

MoneyTree776 Guest

Default QUESTION ABOUT MEDAL CLASSES

Hello- I have a few questions about competing in medal and mini-medal classes.
    If you compete in a medal class like NEHC Hunt Seat Medal, and you are a NEHC member, do you have to be a USEF member as well? Or can you pay the non-member usef fee at the show, and still compete in the NEHC medal?
    Does every horse have to have a paid usef membership/horse recording to compete in medal classes? Hunter and Eq?

I know for huntseat medals, only one rider can ride each horse, but for equitation, can one horse be ridden by multiple riders?

For the medal finals, is there an over fences class, a flat class, and then a test for the top riders? If so, is that consistent with pretty much every medal and mini-medal final?

Thank you in advance for any help and information.

Well, you don't have to become a USEF member, but it would make sense since I would assume you would go to more than 3 USEF shows over the course of a year (NEHC finals are USEF rated, and usually as a junior it takes a few shows to qualify, since you have to win the class), and I believe paying 3 non-member fees equals a year of membership.

To compete in the hunters and accumulate points a horse must be a member, a recording really doesn't do anything. For eq & medals, no, only you must be a member.

Medals and Eq usually have similar rules, since they are both equitation, so no, riders may not ride the same horse in the same class.

It depends which medal finals you go to that dictates what will be asked of you. Since you mentioned NEHC, I'm assuming you're in New England, which medals specifically are you wondering about?

Also, be careful, since the NEHC medal is 3'/3'3 that disqualifies you from a lot of mini-medals, since the rules dictate that you can't compete in 3'+ classes.

You DO have to be a USEF member for the USEF medal classes
    EQ105 Conditions Governing Competitors in USEF Medal Classes.
    1. USEF Medal Classes are open to Individual Junior Members in good standing who
    have not reached their 18th birthday in accordance with GR126. Exception: Saddle Seat
    Adult Amateur classes are open to amateur riders 18 years of age or older. Affiliated
    Members are not eligible. No credit will be given for winnings before a competitor becomes
    a member.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyTree776 View Post

For the medal finals, is there an over fences class, a flat class, and then a test for the top riders? If so, is that consistent with pretty much every medal and mini-medal final?
    Sometimes there's over fences, a flat class, and a test, but it's definitely not consistent with pretty much every medal out there. Many will have a jumping round, a second jumping round, and a test, which may or may not include a flat portion for the top riders. Like for the NEHC, everyone gets to jump the first round jumping course, then the top riders (not sure exactly how many) jump a second round, and then the top riders after that will test. It really just depends on the individual medal...there isn't a standard for every one.

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    You DO have to be a USEF member for the USEF medal classes
    Right, but to do the NEHC/RIHA/Mass/CT medals, you don't I believe.

MoneyTree776 Guest

I have a few girls from my barn who are going to be doing some mini medals...mhj, mhc, riha..etc. I have always just been a usef member, and they were asking if it was required for those medals and i wasn't sure. It wasn't the usef member fee so much, it was more the horse membership fee that they didn't want to pay if they didn't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by heartinrye View Post
    Right, but to do the NEHC/RIHA/Mass/CT medals, you don't I believe.
    For that, you need to check THEIR rules, not USEF rules.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

As far as the horse memberships - If they are competing at USEF rated shows, the horse must have a USHJA registration ($30 lifetime I believe). No need for a USEF registration ($75/horse) unless they are want to be eligible for zone or national awards in hunter or jumper divisions, or compete in jumper divisions with higher prize money. It's a little confusing - you used to just have to have a USEF horse ID (free if you registered the horse online) and now you have to pay $30 for basically the same thing.

If they are competing in these mini medals at unrated shows, it's a non-issue.

MoneyTree776 Guest

They are mini medal classes at USEF shows. I guess because they are held at a usef show, they didn't know if they had to be a member (or their horse) to compete in the other classes (riha, mhc..etc). But if the classes are not USEF related, then i guess it wouldn't mater, right?

So if they are doing any USEF huntseat related classes and want to ride for points, they have to have their horse registered with ushja and usef, as well as the rider, and the horse's owner, correct?

They are mini medal classes at USEF shows. I guess because they are held at a usef show, they didn't know if they had to be a member (or their horse) to compete in the other classes (riha, mhc..etc). But if the classes are not USEF related, then i guess it wouldn't mater, right?

So if they are doing any USEF huntseat related classes and want to ride for points, they have to have their horse registered with ushja and usef, as well as the rider, and the horse's owner, correct?
    If they are held at a USEF rated show then the rider needs to be either a USEF/USHJA member or pay the non member fees. The horse has to be at least USHJA recorded.
    Doesn't make any difference if the class is USEF rated, what matters is that the show is USEF rated.

I know for huntseat medals, only one rider can ride each horse, but for equitation, can one horse be ridden by multiple riders?
    For Eq, you can check with the show secretary, for smaller shows, when its a perennial issue to fill the class so that it counts for points, they can allow the same horse to be ridden by different riders. I would imagine that leased horses and school horses at schooling shows that have medal classes could also go twice with different riders.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

If you are competing in ANY class at a USEF show (except academy classes and I believe the leadline section) exhibitors either have to be members or pay the non member fee. It doesn't matter whether the classes themselves are part of a rated division.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

MoneyTree776 Guest

I know they have to either be a usef member or pay the non member fee to ride at the show. I just didn't know if the rider or the horse wasn't usef or ushja members, but they paid the show non member fee, if they could still compete in a riha mini medal, mhc mini medal or something along those lines.

Go to their websites and look at their rulebooks