The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default New TB - I think she has ulcers.

I brought home a lovely 3 yo filly from Fingerlakes 2 days ago. I think she may have ulcers. She paws when she eats not only her grain but her hay too. Last night she was leaning against the wall in her stall rubbing back and forth while pawing and looked at her stomach once or twice. We took her out and walked her a bit. When we put her back, she seemed fine.

Keep in mind she's only been her since Friday afternoon. She gets free choice hay - a combo of 1st and 2nd cut. 1 lb TC senior with some BS hay stretcher mixed in (she picks around the hay stretcher). She was out yesterday afternoon for about 4 hours. She's out this morning. In the future she'll be out all day, weather permitting.

She's a filly that seems unsure of her surroundings. Not spooky or scared, just indifferent. It's like she doesn't know what to do with the affection we give her. (other horses will turn and nuzzle or investigate - she'll just stands there quietly and doesn't move - not tense, it's like she's thinking, why are you doint that).

Can I treat her with Ulcerguard (vs Gastroguard)? And can I give her a powerpac at the same time? Any other thoughts appreciated.

You can treat with ulcerguard as long as you give the theraputic dose, not the preventive dose that ulcerguard is labeled for. Most horses that means one full tube per day for 30 days. You can powerpack at the same time but if you think she may be very infested you might want to use something milder first like ivermectin or a double dose of strongid.

Quote Originally Posted by crazy gray horse View Post
    She's a filly that seems unsure of her surroundings. Not spooky or scared, just indifferent. It's like she doesn't know what to do with the affection we give her. (other horses will turn and nuzzle or investigate - she'll just stands there quietly and doesn't move - not tense, it's like she's thinking, why are you doint that).

Congrats on you new FL beauty!
    When I brought mine home last November, he had no social skills to speak of. He did not really know how to interact with other horses, even though he had been "on the farm" before. Give it time, she'll get over it.
    He also used to do everything as if in a stall (pee, poop, eat, roll, etc as if in a 12x12 square.) Scariest is that even though he had all the space in a big paddock, he would chose to roll right next to the fence and I can't tell you how scary it was to see him upside down in the corner with 2 legs going through the panels!!! A year later, he is a well adjusted horse.
    Give her some time and she'll figure things out!
    I don't think Ulcerguard would hurt.
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

My TB used to paw or curl his leg when given hot mashes. Sometimes it's their way of expressing extreme pleasure at the glory of FOOD. So it could be a personality thing. Can you tell if she is happy or unhappy when she does this?

I have a 28 yo OTTB who tends towards nasty ulcers. What I've found to be the most effective is adding raw cabbage to his daily rations. When I run out of cabbage or forget to give it to him it just takes a day for him to return to his cowkicking and biting at his sides or biting the barn door before meals. I know others have had good success with Aloe Juice or Papaya and while I do add these occasionally I've just found the cabbage to be the most effective.
    --Gwen <><
    "Treat others as you want to be treated and be the change you want to see in the world."
    http://www.thepenzancehorse.com

Laurie - thank you. I'll start her on the theraputic dose and see if it makes a difference. And I'll start with Ivermectic first and do a Powerpac in a few weeks. I doubt she has a heavy worm load, but just to be safe....

BEARCAT - I can't wait to see how she blossoms. It's hard to believe she is only 3 - she is unbelieveably quiet. Walks on a loose lead all around the property. I know with lots of love and affection she'll figure it all out - my daughter is going to see to that . She is totally smitten with her.

Chall - I understand what you're saying - I have another TB that paws or holds his leg up when he eats, he loves his food! This filly doesn't really show any emotion. What made me think ulcers was after her meager portion of grain, she layed down, rolled, then got up and leaned against the wall and rocked back and forth while pawing, also looking at her stomach.

Caballus - I doubt she'll eat cabbage. She won't eat anything other than her grain and hay. My daughter has been trying to get her to try carrots, celery, peppermints, and a variety of other treats. She won't touch them! She won't even eat the Hay Stretcher I put in with her grain.

Awwwww, she just doesn't know what it all is! My Mustang was like that -- but she finally took little tastes and now loves ALL her veggies and fruits and all. It just takes some time. That's all. I hope you find something that works for her ulcers. Does sound like you're on the right track.
    --Gwen <><
    "Treat others as you want to be treated and be the change you want to see in the world."
    http://www.thepenzancehorse.com

10 hours of grass a day! Natural fix! Unfortunately it is December. Ugh.

AlleyOop Guest

My OTTB mare has ulcers. I was fortunate that GastroGuard was doing a free scoping in my area to promote their product, so the scoping was free. GastroGuard is not somthing I can afford all the time. I have used it and/or UlcerGuard when she has had serious flare ups and it does work.
    When my mare's ulcers are "flaring" she will not eat grain. My vet suggested that I give her a flake of alfalfa beforehand to help coat her stomach. It seems to help a lot.
    Most of my mare's flare ups are due to her being moved to a new location or if I have to give her antibiotics. Which reminds me, bute is not a good thing to give a horse will ulcers.
    Best of luck with your new girl!

Hollendrew - gotta love winter in the NE - NOT!!

AlleyOop - I had one of those "Duh" moments today regarding the grain. While I was prepping grain buckets I thought - crap, she doesn't need grain - duh I know it can aggrevate ulcers AND when I picked her up, loading her was pretty traumatic. It almost gave me ulcers watching! Poor baby. So tonight she got alfalfa pellets She picked at them, but eventually cleaned them up.

congrats on your new girl. since the large majority of race horses have ulcers I would treat her. I am sure you will see big difference in her. when my horse had bad ulcers, he was a different horse. zero personality. and he was usually the clown of the barn. he never stopped eating his grain, he picked at his hay and wasn't drinking as much.
    the CA in alfalfa is what helps the ulcers.

I wanted to add after reading your post that my guy has the weirdest rolling behavior.
    When I take his buddy away, he does not get that excited - might pace a couple of minutes, but he will go and roll - weird! It's almost like it's soothing to him!
    I feed mine with a feed bag and have gradually introduced new stuff. Right now, he gets oats, Ultium and Alfalfa pellets.

Quote Originally Posted by crazy gray horse View Post
    She's a filly that seems unsure of her surroundings. Not spooky or scared, just indifferent. It's like she doesn't know what to do with the affection we give her. (other horses will turn and nuzzle or investigate - she'll just stands there quietly and doesn't move - not tense, it's like she's thinking, why are you doint that)
    One of my new horses is like that. At first she pawed at the wonderful feed but has relaxed now that pawing is only sporadic. At times, she seems like she's resigned to whatever her fate is. I don't know her previous history so I have to wonder. Once I halter her and start brushing/playing/cleaning hooves/whatever, she becomes a bit more animated and interested in me and the world at large. I feed her plenty of grass hay with alfalfa pellets and some grain and she's doing fine. Little by little, she's showing more interest when I go to the barn and the pawing has slowed down. I don't know if there really is a direct correlation but there you have it...that's what I see.

Congratulations on your girl!