The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Idahohoho,USA- please keep your cold weather to yourselves!

Here in Canada I am contemplating whether I need to cut the grass on the lawn I planted in September. its at that in between stage- its looks like a 70's style shag rug but not quite high enough for its first real cut. If you guys can keep the damn cold and snow that is threatening us from Idaho and Alaska to yourselves, I may just be able to cut it next week!

Cat in sunny Canada- not even any frost this AM.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

LOL, it IS cold here right now. I think the outside temp is 16 degrees currently. I should be going out to clean stalls in a minute, but I am putting it off as long as possible.
    Sheilah

We out here on the East Coast have had it easy so far this winter - please do keep that white stuff out your way too, thanks! (Horsie doesn't have her snow pads yet).
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

Quote Originally Posted by CatOnLap View Post

Cat in sunny Canada- not even any frost this AM.
    Speak for yourself! In Ontario this morning it took me 15 minutes to clean off my car so I could drive home from work!

*goes back to shivering in front of the fire*
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

Shoot, every year in Washington, when we get flipping frigid temperatures for a week, they tell us its cold air coming down from the Fraser Valley, BC! So up there, they tell you it's coming from Idaho/Alaska! (Wait, aren't Idaho & Alaska in sort of opposite directions???)

I guess the moral of the story is, wherever you are, the cold air came from somewhere else, preferably another country - it's always easier to make it somebody else's fault
    www.moranequinephoto.com
    "If I am fool, it is, at least, a doubting one; and I envy no one the certainty of his self-approved wisdom."
    Byron

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Blame Canada! (I can say that, as I'm half Canuck, eh!) Or, more accurately, let's blame Siberia and the Arctic!

Down right frigid outside tonight. But what truly sucks for us in the Portland area will be the gale force winds that are expected for the next few days. Good times! gusts of 50-70mph, coupled with highs in the 20's makes for some really frozen people and ponies. At least it will be sunny!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Sunny and 30 here tonight. There was a breeze all day, but should be less of that tomorrow. Cold next week, so the weather guy says.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyadawn View Post
    Speak for yourself! In Ontario this morning it took me 15 minutes to clean off my car so I could drive home from work!

*goes back to shivering in front of the fire*
    teehee- not my fault you choose to live there! I made the mistake of being born in Ontario, and have worked and lived in every province and territory, west of there ever since...any further west and I'll be swimming to China now!

But it was frosty and clear this morning- the kind of crisp day I would associate with mid October in Ontario or the Prairies. The bright sun makes everything particularly jewel like doesn't it? That is the silver lining to cold weather- it is often gorgeously sunny. Not bad for December, but it does help to have a hat and gloves on now, with your sweater here.

We put the winter tires on the car this week, and the chains on the tractor, because we are supposed to get some snow soon. As our city owns only one real snow plow, all of us with farm and estate tractors do our bit to keep the roads and driveways clear.

We got to use those chains last nite. A friend backed his BIG commercial van down our steep driveway and got stuck in the neighbour's swale, up against his fence. The mighty little John Deere 2305 with TIRE CHAINS and liquid loaded wheels, pulled it out of harm's way, UP the driveway. GO little tractor GO!
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF