The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep. 2, 2009
    Posts
    32

    Default Grey Arabian Stallion what do you think of him?(Pedigree)

    There is an arabian stallion for sale in my area. I'm not sure of his breeding but he is a double Red Tape grandson registered name SA Pzephyr E. They are selling him for $400.00 cheap because they want him to go to a good home. Selling because he is out with another mare and stallion and have trouble keeping weight on him. They say it maybe easyer if he was gelded. This it was it says ...."The reason we are selling him is that he is very difficult to keep weight on living with the mare and stallion. He should probably be gelded to get him at proper weight."
    Also he has only been ridden 12 times and he is to small for the owner to ride(14.1). Apparently a fabulous mover was bought as a yearling for $3000.00.

    My question is this a great opportunity for me to own a great horse at a great price. I am not an arab breeder and don't know much about what lines to look for? Would probably geld him. Would be looking to do a bit of everything with him, jumping, dressage, western maybe even some barrel racing. Sorry I don't have pictures yet.
    Anything send big red flags up bad, good?

    Thanks guys! Still on my never ending search for my horse!



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb. 9, 2005
    Location
    Upper Midwest
    Posts
    5,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cavesson View Post
    There is an arabian stallion for sale in my area. I'm not sure of his breeding but he is a double Red Tape grandson registered name SA Pzephyr E. They are selling him for $400.00 cheap because they want him to go to a good home. Selling because he is out with another mare and stallion and have trouble keeping weight on him. They say it maybe easyer if he was gelded. This it was it says ...."The reason we are selling him is that he is very difficult to keep weight on living with the mare and stallion. He should probably be gelded to get him at proper weight."
    Also he has only been ridden 12 times and he is to small for the owner to ride(14.1). Apparently a fabulous mover was bought as a yearling for $3000.00.

    My question is this a great opportunity for me to own a great horse at a great price. I am not an arab breeder and don't know much about what lines to look for? Would probably geld him. Would be looking to do a bit of everything with him, jumping, dressage, western maybe even some barrel racing. Sorry I don't have pictures yet.
    Anything send big red flags up bad, good?

    Thanks guys! Still on my never ending search for my horse!
    I'm going to sound like a fun-hater. So I apologize in advance. Yes to the red flags. The red flag to me is:
    -The price,
    -They can't keep weight on him (what does being a stallion have to do with that unless they are breeding him a ton or he is a bit nutty--I'm asking honestly. Hard keepers cost alot more over the long run...
    -He's only been ridden 12 times (or are you a trainer--I don't know).

    Most expensive horse I ever got (and my first horse--live and learn) was free! Owner was selling it for $0 because she "so wanted a good home."

    Purchase price is the absolute cheapest part of owning (almost) any horse. [Man I sound like my dad--I guess we do grow up to be our parents] I mean I've spent well over $400 on my riding horse this month already (and he's pasture boarded in a rural area and I didn't have any vet calls or buy new tack either).

    No comment on the pedigree
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

    DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct. 24, 2006
    Posts
    288

    Default

    Hi Cavesson,

    I can't find specifics re: his Dam or Sire but I would assume from the SA in his name and being that he is of Red Tape lines, that he was bred by Summit Arabians. You might want to contact them and/or you can find a lot of info about Red Tape on their website @ http://www.summitarabians.com.

    I own a Red Tape granddaughter myself and if she is a typical example of these lines then I could not wish to find more in terms of character and temperament. We started together as two greenies, which made for some moments of rough sailing, but we are now currently training second level with some third level moments sprinkled in.

    My mare is by the Red Tape son Rouge Mont (there is some video of him on You Tube if you want to see how he moves) and she was selected for a feature on Arabian Sporthorses in the August issue of Practical Horseman. These are sporthorse type Arabians and I know that Red Tape most certainly produced horses capable of competing in dressage.

    If you are looking for something versatile than I would share that she, and other Red Tape grandget that I have met are smart, athletic, willing and competitive.

    His weight issues could be something simple, could be stress related (especially being that he is obviously not the dominant stallion) and Arabians are generally easy keepers. I would be a little concerned about his size being only 14'1 but if it is a good size for you than I think he would be worth looking into.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb. 16, 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,077

    Default

    I checked Datasource and he is not registered with the Arabian Horse Assoc.

    Probably registered in Canada.
    The Inverted Y
    Anglo Arabian Sporthorses
    2005 and 2007 USEF Breeder of the Year.
    www.allanglos.net

    Hundreds of half priced champion stallions
    www.SHNpayback.org



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    2,735

    Default Probably Not A Bargain

    More Red Flags.
    I saw Red Tape show on the national level several times; he was a very talented horse in the divisions that he was shown. He was however, a park and formal driving horse; high stepping and hot. I do not remember him being as successful as a sire as he was a show horse.
    I would take pause at buying a horse from someone that keeps two stallions together along with a mare. Pretty poor husbandry.
    I think the BEST THING for this horse is for his breeder to be contacted and perhaps they would buy him back and get him straightened out.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb. 23, 1999
    Location
    Cypress, near Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chemteach View Post
    More Red Flags.
    I would take pause at buying a horse from someone that keeps two stallions together along with a mare. Pretty poor husbandry.
    I'm going to disagree with you here. I think a young stallion that has been in regular turnout with other horses (particularly mares and another stallion) will have learned some decent horse socialization skills that are often missing with other young stallions.

    But I do think you should investigate the situation thoroughly before making a decision to purchase. As you should with any horse.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct. 24, 2006
    Posts
    288

    Default

    I think the knock on Red Tape as a sire was that he never reproduced himself. The OP is not looking for a park or english pleasure horse. If you are not getting what he was, a hot headed (yet I know that he was also sensible) national quality park horse, you are still getting a great athlete.

    Every Red Tape offspring, grandget that I have met myself or have spoken to others about were very sensible, laid back, easy going horses.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun. 9, 2003
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    5,481

    Default

    The weight issue could be easily resolved if he's being chased off the feed source by the other stallion/mare and maybe needs to be dewormed. If you can offer him a good home and decent training, go ahead. He probably needs a break - good luck!
    PennyG



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2007
    Location
    NW Louisiana
    Posts
    5,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TKR View Post
    The weight issue could be easily resolved if he's being chased off the feed source by the other stallion/mare and maybe needs to be dewormed. If you can offer him a good home and decent training, go ahead. He probably needs a break - good luck!
    PennyG
    This was my thought as well. He could just be not getting enough calories if he is being pastured with an older stallion.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct. 24, 2006
    Posts
    288

    Default

    He is registered with the CAHR

    SA PZEPHYR E Registry # 43507
    Foal Date 03-APR-03

    I don't have access to the DB but perhaps someone can look him up?



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep. 2, 2009
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Thanks everyone! It would be great if someone could look up his pedigree!

    I've contacted the owner but have not gotten a reply yet.

    At first the weight thing set a red flag off for me to but then I came to the same conclusion as a few of you. He could very well be on the lower end of the pecking order. The fact that he was turned out with a mare and stallion also set off flags. However being out with other horses is a good thing! Some stallions have no social ability. Perhaps the other stallion has "put him in his place". Not sure how to explain it...not letting him get a big stallion head! If that makes sense at all

    Anyway all precautions would be taken if I even get to the point of possibly buying him. I do have training experiance by the way and know what I'm getting into
    Thanks again! I'll post picture if I get some.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb. 9, 2005
    Location
    Upper Midwest
    Posts
    5,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cavesson View Post
    Thanks everyone! It would be great if someone could look up his pedigree!

    I've contacted the owner but have not gotten a reply yet.

    At first the weight thing set a red flag off for me to but then I came to the same conclusion as a few of you. He could very well be on the lower end of the pecking order. The fact that he was turned out with a mare and stallion also set off flags. However being out with other horses is a good thing! Some stallions have no social ability. Perhaps the other stallion has "put him in his place". Not sure how to explain it...not letting him get a big stallion head! If that makes sense at all

    Anyway all precautions would be taken if I even get to the point of possibly buying him. I do have training experiance by the way and know what I'm getting into
    Thanks again! I'll post picture if I get some.
    Sorry, I totally missed the part in your first post about who he was turned out with when I made my comments...

    Please do post pics.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

    DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov. 6, 2008
    Posts
    1,373

    Default

    IMO, it's pretty bizarre management putting 1 mare and 2 stallions together. Sounds like a very stressful situation for this boy. There is no such thing as a free/cheap horse, but the weight issue could possibly be dealt with by a better pasture arrangement, worming/teeth check/ulcer check, for starters.



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug. 26, 2003
    Location
    The good 'ole State of denial
    Posts
    5,064

    Default

    I dont' disagree with turning stallions out with other horses, but I do think it is absolutely an accident waiting to happen to do it in a mixed herd environment, UNLESS the 2nd is still young (aka stallion in mare/foal situation).

    Stallion with other stallion/geldings, fine. Stallion with bred mares (or if they are breeding, mares) fine......mixing, oiy that is just a recipe for disaster. In the wild the boys are driven into batchellor herds by the boss stallion, where does this guy have to go? Or - we are assuming he is the bottom of the pack horse, he MAY be the boss stud out in that pasture and the weight issue is from constantly chasing/fighting off the other stud.

    Are you looking for an arabian in particular? In this market, I think you could probably find another diamond for a great price without the bizarre owner red flags (and yes, I see several).



  15. #15
    Join Date
    May. 30, 2006
    Location
    Little Rhody
    Posts
    3,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cavesson View Post
    Thanks everyone! It would be great if someone could look up his pedigree!
    I have looked at his pedigree. He's double Red Tape+// (a most wonderful *Bask son), beautiful, extemely athletic and one of the best *Bask sons ever IMO (after the grey, Reign On).

    SA PZEPHYR E - CAHR*43507
    Foal Date: 03 Apr 2003
    Color: Grey
    Gender: Stallion

    Sire: SA SILVER SAUTERNES (CAHR *42015) Grey 1999
    Red Tape+// x SA Valentine


    Dam: Redd Susie SA (CAHR*43118) Chestnut 1997
    Red Tape+// x AMF Debutante


    He was bred by Red Tape's owner, Dr. Dianne Stackhouse, who doesn't own junk.

    If his size isn't an issue for you, I don't think you can go wrong with this boy at that price. Of course, check him out yourself. But I agree he's being poorly managed. Who in their right mind puts two adult stallions and a mare out together?



  16. #16
    Join Date
    May. 30, 2006
    Location
    Little Rhody
    Posts
    3,587



Similar Threads

  1. Can anyone look up an Arabian pedigree for me?
    By Sillymoose in forum Off Course
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Aug. 5, 2012, 10:05 PM
  2. Arabian Pedigree
    By sickofcollege in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Mar. 9, 2011, 11:43 AM
  3. Grey Arabian Gelding
    By DominiqueKHolt in forum Missing Horses
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Aug. 27, 2009, 07:31 PM
  4. Missing 2 grey arabian mares from So CA
    By caarabianlover in forum Missing Horses
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Aug. 6, 2009, 08:00 PM
  5. Free Grey TB Stallion Great Pedigree
    By jsf in forum Giveaways
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Nov. 22, 2008, 05:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •