The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default SPIN OFF: Riding in PJs? And I don't mean saddles!

Have some respect for the damn sport!

Would you show up for cheer leading or soccer or marching band in your PJs? Where's the dignity?

Maybe I'm getting old, but the whole concept of wearing PJs in public is beyond me. Get up, get dressed, THEN leave the house.

OK, I was cold last night. So I wore my beloved Irideon supplex leggings to bed. Then I wore them under some workout pants to ride/work in today. Technically, I rode in my pajamas.

However, the big flannel pj pants (or the like) in public just aren't my style either!

A lot of kids at band camp actually wear PJ bottoms for practice.

I wore PJ bottoms over my breeches once to warm up a difficult horse, didn't want to get my breeches muddy from the other horses in the wet warm up ring.
    To be loved by a horse, or by any animal, should fill us with awe-
    for we have not deserved it.
    Marion Garretty

I used to wear pajamas to school all the time. Now I try to keep it to sweatpants or jeans. But I wear pajamas to shows all the time to cover my breeches and keep them clean. Have never ridden in them though as I would they think they would be slippery?
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

I way prefer girls in PJs than their underwear or short shorts!
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

I can't stand it! Keep the PJs at home.

Tell me- why is riding in pajamas /SO/ much worse than riding in breeches? yeah, it looks cleaner. But what's the BIG deal in wearing pajamas?

And I get you wanting to look nice in lessons- I only wear pajamas when I'm hacking (riding out), or when I'm alone. I agree, many people look like they just rolled out of bed, but you know, I at least brush my hair.. and when you've got to muck stalls, do other laborious things, well why ruin your best polo? There's no point.

Riding in pajamas (in my opinion) is fine. It's not much different than riding in breeches.

I once saw a girl warmup at a show in bright pink plaid pj pants and a half unbuttoned sleeveless show shirt. She did attempt to put her hair in her helmet, but it was done messily and just added to the "look". My trainer and I were horrified!

Whoever above suggested that pj pants should be slippery was right because when it started to rain she promptly slipped right out of the tack.

^Wish that wasn't a true story! It was a pretty big show too

Seeing as I'm usually falling asleep on my horse, PJ's might be a great idea...

ETA; oh wow, just read this whole thread.. Didn't realize it was a serious subject. I've never seen anyone ride in pjs. Wow. Whats the point?

I dont understand how people think that breeches and pj pants are pretty much the same thing.... Breeches are form fitting riding "pants", while 99% of all pj pants are baggy and hard to work in. They can/are easily a hazard.I totally get the whole sweat pants over your breeches at a show- I do that all the time. But I dont ride in them even in warm up. I take them off. Also people wont respect you or take you seriously, thats the gosh awful truth of it all.

I'm a pretty casual girl but PJ pants are too loose. They can easily get wrapped around your stirrup or stuck in the iron (this sounds silly, but it could happen). Maybe I've ridden too many jerk horses but I'm worst case scenario.

I generally ride in jeans, but my snow pants are looking pretty appetizing for this winter =)

I read about riding in PJs on the other thread and my first reaction was and then "that must hurt like hell!" Can you imagine the saddle sores? I doubt you can be using your leg correctly if you're not getting saddle sores in loosely fitting, thin-materialed "pants."

I'm not old to wear PJs pants as coveralls for show clothes, but I do understand the kids doing that. I probably would've done it at that age. I can tell you, however, that as a parent, my kid WOULD NOT be wearing PJs to school unless they were in college and deciding for themselves. 'Course I grew up with a mother who didn't allow me to wear jeans to school until middle school and shorts until I was in high school. Something about respect and all that jazz.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    I can tell you, however, that as a parent, my kid WOULD NOT be wearing PJs to school unless they were in college and deciding for themselves.
    Unless they rolled up the PJs, stuffed them in their backpack, and changed at school!

Quote Originally Posted by hb View Post
    Unless they rolled up the PJs, stuffed them in their backpack, and changed at school!
    But then what's the point?? Isn't the whole idea to not have to get dressed in the morning? I hope it isn't for fashion!

I have worn pj's in public on two occasions:

As coveralls while mucking stalls at shows when I forgot sweats. (plain blackwatch plaid ones)

On pj day at school where we were excused form uniforms if and only if we wore pajamas... I'll admit it was comfortable. But I changed from the pjs I slept in to a new set to go to school in...

I rode in pjs in a class at a show once. Of course, it was a costume class and my horse was dressed as a bed, so...
    The Procrastinators Anonymous meeting has been postponed again.

Can't say I've ever seen anyone ride in PJs -- crazy. But I pretty much only ride in yoga pants. They are just as nice as most "schooling" breeches, plus I can stop by the grocery store on the way home in comfort and comparative style.

I have a student who you will see in PJ bottoms @ shows. But, its because she is hard at work prepping her horse and others right up until the time she goes in the ring and those PJ pants keep her breeches and boots clean. They come off easily and in the ring she goes.

Quote Originally Posted by WendellsGirl View Post
    I have a student who you will see in PJ bottoms @ shows. But, its because she is hard at work prepping her horse and others right up until the time she goes in the ring and those PJ pants keep her breeches and boots clean. They come off easily and in the ring she goes.
    That I can understand... I do the same if I take my horse to a show; I don't have time to change, so in the morning I put on my show breeches, belt and tank top, then over that I wear sweatpants or PJ/yoga style pants (no big fluffy Looney Toons or anything like that though) and a sweatshirt or t-shirt and paddock boots, and I'll warm up like that. Then I just have to take off the sweats and put on my show shirt, jacket and tall boots and I'm clean and ready to go. So I don't mind seeing people in a rainbow of craziness at a morning warm-up, it lets me fit in better. (:

I don't mind if you have your horses at your barn and you just hop on bareback for a little while. No one is going to see you, and you are just hopping on for a few minutes. If you board somewhere, with BO and other riders, I feel like you have an obligation to look nice and be prepared. Unless it's a specific circumstance, when you go out and ride somewhere, I feel like appropriate dress is definately required.