The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spinoff on the dress code...what does your trainer wear to teach and ride?

Thought it was pertinent to look at the other side here.

Like most serious show barns, mine ride in breeches and either half chaps or boots. Once in awhile neat jeans but they all say riding 15 or so a day is hard on the...er...certain parts in jeans. And the jeans can bunch around your knee if you sweat.

If they have been riding, they teach in what they rode in, if not? It's neat jeans, appropriate footwear and a professional looking polo, long sleeved shirt with collar, sweater or something of that nature.

Barn staff is expected to look professional as it is a busy teaching barn witha public program and alot of little kids.

Point being...if the trainer taught in cut offs and flip flops, the client would dress accordingly. If all the staff is dressed professionally, the client wants to do the same. Professionally dressed need not = expensive.

So, those in more casual barns, what does your trainer wear to teach?
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

In high school, she wore fairly nice shirt (sometimes t-shirts in the middle of summer, if I remember correctly) and jeans. Growing up, she rode and competed Appaloosas heavily - both English and Western, so that probably influences her teaching attire.

My current trainer, Pony Club A graduate - jeans and some sort of work related shirt. Always looks really nice, neat jeans and nice shirt, but workable, more like the under armor shirts than polos. She can go from the barn to out with friends and no one would know she spent half the day riding and doing barn work....I'm jealous....dirt just transfers from horse to me when at the barn.

My trainer comes to me to teach and I am the only 'serious' rider there. The only one of about 5 boarders that goes to ride at all, let alone almost every day (though between the weather and end of quarter at school, she's getting a bit of a break). There are beginner lessons taught one day a week, but the attire is much more workman than competition. The kids go to the county fair every year as their big show. They are big in 4H, but do not really have the money for a lot of shows per year. Some of the kids in the lesson ride western and some ride English. They all go over crossrails and do barrels, regardless of saddle.

I have two different coaches at the same barn. Mostly they teach in their riding clothes, breeches and field boots or breeches and full chaps, collared shirt or fitted t-shirt. In winter they add a sweater (no hooded sweaters unless it's really, really cold) and vest or jacket as well as more layers underneath.

Dressage coach adds big winter coats and a toque when not riding (in the winter), jumping coach stays in the coat or vest she rides in.

In the summer the dressage coach always wears a button down shirt tucked into her breeches, jumping coach wears well fitting t-shirts or polos.

If they haven't been riding they are generally wearing well fitting jeans with paddock boots with the same tops as above.

I think most of the time they teach in riding clothes so that they can hop on the horse, if need be. When they're teaching out of riding clothes it's usually because they are coming from or going to somewhere else.

This ones funny and at a show no less!! NOT my trainer but is apparently a big hunter/jumper trainer in my area. Any time I've been around her she's been a ...... lets just say a little less then courteous I think she's kinda crazy but thats just me.

OK ready......

Green shorts, hot pink tall rubber boots (can't remember her shirt) and a orange hat, like a fancy big ladies hat!

No really I'm totally serious!!!! This is not the only weird get up either, just the one I remember the most! lol I can never she taking lessons from her I just can't respect her when she is dressed so unprofessionally. Also her attitude!!

Her sister has something to do with spruce meadows....I'm not saying what because I don't want to give away who she is.

For riding: I wear tan breeches, tall boots and a polo in warm weather or a very fitted jacket in cold weather.

For teaching: A lot of times I am wearing my riding clothes (above) but if I am wearing 'street' clothes I wear jeans with a polo or fitted jacket.

For barn chores: Haha, usually polo, jeans, etc. On really hot days I will wear a fitted tank top (modest), and if I am really sloppy I will wear a T-shirt with no logos.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavesson View Post
    OK ready......

Green shorts, hot pink tall rubber boots (can't remember her shirt) and a orange hat, like a fancy big ladies hat!
    !!
    OMG!!!!! Stop making fun of me. Do you have crystal ball that allows you to see into my office and barn right now?

I didn't think anyone could see me.

Breeches, tall boots, spurs, black belt, a tucked in polo in summer and a polo under a sweater in the fall/winter.

He spends his days either at horse shows or traveling to give clinics so this is his everyday attire. Not sure he even owns a pair of jeans.

Last week, keeping in mind I'm in NY, she came in full ski suit. Two hours in upper 30 degree weather, I can't imagine anything else appropriate! I'm just grateful to have the lessons.

I'm at a casual barn, out of 10 horses, only one other rides huntseat, but I always ride in breeches and either tall boots or half chaps and paddock boots.

Ha, well see..my barn is just a tad 'ghetto'. Most of the time students are allowed to wear whatever they want (as long as it's not affecting the horse or anything- fine, you can wear it.) Usually I wear my black breeches, a random t-shirt and either a sweatshirt or jacket in the winter. In the summer you can wear tank tops too. Some of the girls who work there actually ride in pajama pants if they are exercising their horses. (I've ridden in them before too. It's good when you don't wanna do anything else.)

The instructors? Well, there's like..five. The barn owner usually wears an overlarge sweatshirt and pajama pants. The girl that lives with her wears random shirts, jeans/shorts, and flipflops or boots. /My/ instructor sometime wears breeches if she's gonna ride after our lesson or jeans, hiking boots, and a sweatshirt over a shirt.

Our barn isn't very professional. It may not be the BEST barn but it's a darn good barn to be at. Just adding- the barn doesn't need to be dressed well every.single.time to be considered 'good'. I've learned so much there && I wouldn't have at my other barn that wore nothing but the top breeches and polos. So, eh. My barn may not be very professional- but hey. We are comfy all the time. :]

Quote Originally Posted by paintmare View Post
    Last week, keeping in mind I'm in NY, she came in full ski suit. Two hours in upper 30 degree weather, I can't imagine anything else appropriate! I'm just grateful to have the lessons.

I'm at a casual barn, out of 10 horses, only one other rides huntseat, but I always ride in breeches and either tall boots or half chaps and paddock boots.
    Whoa, you live in Buffalo, NY? I live there too. :] *high fives fellow Buffalonian*

I've been at mostly casual barns. My first barn had a lot of kids, did mostly local circuit stuff. Everyone wore pretty much whatever they wanted. Jeans and half chaps were probably most popular, the more serious competitors would put on breeches and tall boots for lessons, but pretty much everyone schooled in jeans/pjs/tights. Trainer wore really whatever was in her closet-shorts and t-shirts, sneakers, baseball hat in summer, jeans, sweatshirts, heavy jacket in winter.

First barn at school the trainer always looked professional. I know she did a fair amount of A shows with her boarders but no one like, lived on the circuit. She was always in clean jeans, paddock/work boots, nice top. If it was cold she'd be in a pullover or heavier jacket, ear warmers if necessary. Everyone on the team rode in whatever they were used to-some in jeans/half chaps, some in breeches/tall boots.

The barn we're at now is more casual. Lately our coach has been dressed up like the kid from A Christmas Story -those thick Mountain Horse pants, sweatshirt and heavy jacket over top. Riders wear whatever they want, but the upper level girls tend to wear breeches/tall boots, or nice half chaps.

I don't have the money to compete on the A circuit and as long as I think I'm getting good instruction, I could care less what my trainer wears. I'd say my current coach gives me the most feedback in one lesson.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

my trainer comes from teaching school to my barn so she'll change from her school clothes to jeans and a tee......at her barn she'll wear her breeches and a tee.

My trainer wears a giant floppy hat that most horses deem absolutely terrifying. Especially when it flaps in the wind as she takes the golf cart for a spin around the arena as fast as she can go LOL.

My horse thinks the hat looks delicious.

Nice jeans, paddock boots, half chaps, spurs, RL polo shirt in summer, sweaters in winter with a down vest and/or short coat.

He is anal-retentive clean. I've watched him clean his half-chaps (while wearing them) between horses.

I've ridden with him a long time and I've NEVER EVER seen him school in boots and breeches at home.

Breeches, a nice shirt and a fitted coat. Usually riding boots, unless it is too cold, then winter boots. She doesn't usually ride in our lessons though, she runs to get a helmet if she does (barn rule). Her tack is always spotless and put away neatly with covers. In other words, she sets a good example for what she expects of the rider.
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

Long sleeve shirt, Target brand polo shirt over that, jeans, big straw hat. No matter how she looks, though, she is thoroughly professional when conducting lessons.

Just wait until tomorrow Paintmare I'm planning on bringing the snowblower!! ROTF and, how would my Annie Girl react if I fired that baby up...........

Just pulling your leg kiddo. Annie will still get her treats, provided they don't freeze on the way......

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

If she's riding, breeches, collared shirt of some sort, paddocks, half-chaps. Non-riding day this time of year - jeans, collared shirt, many layers of clothing, Uggs (of which she seems to have many different pairs) or paddock boots. The rider/assistant is sometimes more casual in the shirt department.

I had to show a horse for sale once at the last minute (people came out, trainer was banged up and couldn't ride) and was somewhat mortified that I had to do it in jeans and a tee shirt. But, we sold two horses that day...
    The Evil Chem Prof

When I am teaching, I wear basically what I would wear in a lesson with my trainer, with the exception that I will exchange breeches and tall boots for either breeches or my riding jeans (Ariat Tek Denim ... WONDERFUL creations!) with paddocks. On top, a tidy weather-appropriate top: polo for warm; sweater/fleece for cool, with coat if necessary. Ponytail and ball cap keep my hair from looking scraggy.

Basically, I want to present a tidy appearance that has me ready to hop aboard a horse if needed and models safe and appropriate clothing for my students (and their often non-horsey parents). Other instructors I work with dress similarly, as does my own trainer.

Voldemare, the big straw hat is often seen here! My trainer dons one on sunny days, as do many others; I find myself considering trading in my ball caps for a big floppy hat. Good protection against skin cancer for those who have to be out in the sun for hours every day.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

I am a breeches and boots kind of gal. I like to be ready to mount up and give a demonstration ride. If a rider is having difficulties understanding what I am asking for I can give them an example of what it is that I want.
    The basic gear is comfortable and I just use a different set of boots for everyday and show use. My shirts get changed often during the summer, it is hot and I like to put on fresh clothes when I need to change out of damp or dirty garments.