The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Facial Swelling - Cutting Teeth?

I am assuming the swelling on my geldings face is due to his adult teeth breaking through. Last night, I saw a slight swelling on either side of his jaw, but actually ON his cheek/jaw area, not behind it, near where the last molars would be. Its not hot or round, its more of a flatter, broader type swelling, and exactly the same on the other side. He also now has a little bump under his jaw on the bone ridge about 3-4 inches back from his chin.

He is 2.5 (on the 13th this month). Being this is my first young horse, can anyone give me some idea of the process that he is going to go through with cutting his teeth, as far as swelling and bumps (time frames and types of swelling).

Im guessing he is maybe getting some of the 1st and 2nd molars? That seems to be the location of the swelling. Def not his 3rds as hes too young. He DOES have both front central incisors on top but still all deciduous on the botton anteriors.

Thanks for any insight. The stuff I am finding online talks about ages when they get the teeth but nothing about the effects (swelling, etc).
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

Default same exact thing w/ my horse

What a coincidence. I am in New England. My 4 yo horse has swelling on his cheek (actually more along the jaw next to the neck), and also a bump directly under the jaw a couple inches behind the chin.

My horse swelled last year along the jowel and I have been told it is an allergy and is more like a swollen gland. So that is what I am thinking here because we just moved from a coarse hay to a green grass hay.

I would also appreciate any other thoughts in case I am wrong.

My 3.5yo Arab (Mir) has what sounds similar. It's on his lower jaw, about halfway back. When I searched through my vet book, it said that it is due to the tooth coming in and is totally normal.

His is more hard, like bone, and is right on the bone. It's not sore to the touch at all, nor does it seem to bother him when he eats or when he is being ridden. No odd smell from his mouth either. It hasn't gotten worse in the last month since I first noticed it.

I would check with an equine dentist if I was you or your vet. that happened to my horse when she was around 4 and it was caps that were stuck (or baby teeth) and the dentist said it was starting to cause an infection and if I hadn't caught it (my regular vet missed it) she could of ended up having to get 2 teeth pulled that were very important molar teeth for grinding food. when the adult teeth push up from the bottom the caps should pop off by themselves but sometimes they get stuck and have to be pulled off. so for sure get it checked out.

They are all due to see the dentist next month (after Xmas). The swelling on the sides of his face are gone. Theres still that hard lump on the bottom but it doesnt bother him and Im 98% sure its from a tooth and normal.

I think I will shoot my dentist an email asking about the normal signs of him cutting teeth so I wont freak every time.
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

dentalprof Guest

Your horse is exhibiting ERUPTION BUMPS. These are caused by the pressure of erupting permanent teeth at the premolar sites. The horse will only have caps at the level of incisors and premolars. the premolars #6,7, and 8 lower jaw R&L will cause these "bumps". THey will disappear as the permanent teeth erupt into place and the caps fall off or are extracted.

Please contact me if you have any dental questions. I have an extensive equine dental practice and am a "total mouth" dental professional. thank you.