The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Neck Cover? No Neck Cover?

Well, the next few days (thru Monday anyways) the overnight lows are around 10*F (without factoring in windchill). Lovely. The highs are in the low to mid 20s - so definitely not a whole heck of a lot better.

I'm for sure putting Gus's midweight (Dover Northwind, 220g fill) on today when I'm out, but would you put a neck cover on too? I always have at these temperatures before, but he was in a different boarding situation then (50/50 stall/turnout vs 24/7 pasture now).

Uggh, can I complain that I HATE winter? I really do. And the sad thing is, it's barely started...
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

I see you're in Minnesota, so I'm assuming it's going to get a lot colder than that in the next few months. Unless the horse is shivering in the midweight, I wouldn't worry about it.

My mare lives out 24/7 as well, and in past winters she was outside in -45F windchills. She was double blanketed, but no neck cover. She was totally comfy.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

I tend to use the neck cover when there is wind as I think it is kind of like putting a scarf on -- helps keep the heat from escaping out the neck. Now if I could just get my horse to wear a stocking cap like I do...

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    I tend to use the neck cover when there is wind as I think it is kind of like putting a scarf on -- helps keep the heat from escaping out the neck. Now if I could just get my horse to wear a stocking cap like I do...

What you said, sublimequine, makes perfect sense. I'm thinking no neck cover... but, it's also supposed to snow (not sure if it'll be the heavy, wet stuff or the dry stuff). I hate winter. I really do.
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos