The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 84 horses seized in Tennessee

No, I have not heard of that one before, but I see the HSUS is involved.

I talked a couple of years ago to someone running a rescue in one such situation and was told if the HSUS is involved, they have a basic demand that their name be used every release and if any animal is the poster child for that, they automatically become owners of that animal and have the rights to any stories about that animal.
    The case at that time involved one such animal and the rescue at that time didn't like at all the pushing around the HSUS was doing to get their name in the news, for the little bit they were going to help.

I hope that in this case, the HSUS will do more than hog the limelight and, once that is over, leave the mess for the local rescues to handle on their own penny.

We had a case here a while back with seven arabian horses and twelve cows, that were not being fed by an elderly couple in bad health, that would not accept help or surrender them and finally the sheriff had to be called.
    They themselves were living in appalling condition.
    You can't force people to care for themselves, but you can demand they care for any animals they have properly.

We need better enforcement of existing laws and in many places, better laws to try to keep people from abusing animals.

Thumbs down

Sadly if HSUS is involved - it must be a PR stunt. I do not trust them to make "humane" decisions!
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

A friend of mine from another board went over and worked with the animals at a local rescue - said they were in very bad shape. I will try to find out which LOCAL rescues are involved and post back so that if anyone wants to help out, they can get in touch with the local rescue.

HSUS aside, there are 84 starving horses at the TN State Fairgrounds right now.

The Volunteer Equine Advocates are also involved and will eventually be taking over the whole mission.

http://www.vea-tnhorserescue.org/

They're desperately needing bagged shavings and grass hay at the moment.

There is a possibility two horses have strangles, cultures haven't been confirmed yet.

They went to seize 40 horses, and the owner informed the sheriff that he'd sold 20 the night before, so they got a warrent for seizure of every animal on the property. Apparently, the story goes, the guy only fed the horses he liked. Asshat.

Can't believe this didn't make the board yet, but yes, it is true.

Supposedly 20 horses will be needing foster homes in the next week or so.

HSUS is asking for contributions with the promise that they will leave money behind for the VEA when they pull out. Make donations CAREFULLY to whichever organization you think will benefit most.

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=15352
    http://www.newschannel5.com/global/story.asp?s=11582334
    http://www.humanesociety.org/news/ne...ee_112509.html

Is there a local rescue involved? I can't seem to find any information on the net about who is in charge. An email address or phone number of someone local?

Is the VEA the local rescue? If so, I found their number, but I wonder will they get stuck with the bills for this rescue? My goodness 84 horses is a LOT of horses.

The county authorities are involved and felony charges have been preferred against the owners.

HSUS is definitely "in the house." There was a "please help us" piece on the local news in Knoxville and they were mentioned. A local rescue, Horse Haven, is taking in 15 this Sunday. Curiously, they were also begging for people to "foster" current horses that they have so they can make room for the 15 from Nashville.

And they want donations of feed (Equine Senior and shredded beat pulp specifically asked for; the expression of the anchor's face was priceless when she said "shredded beat pulp" ).

While some of the horses shown in the piece looked pretty bad other looked like they were quite healthy. I wonder if "stock footage" was used?

Just another sign of the very dire circumstances in the U.S.horse industry.

G.

Unfortunately, the correspondence from my BO has been to the director of HSUS so far...

ETA: The VEA and HSUS has compared the effort of seizing 84 horses to seizing 500+ dogs. I believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by sidepasser View Post
    I had heard it was a very elderly man near Woodbury...that is the dead center of the gaited horse world

ETA: but I am wrong
    Last edited by Tamara in TN; Dec. 4, 2009 at 10:12 AM.
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

lol you guys are slow!!!

I have been following this since day 1 (Nov. 25), but I was not going to bring it up because HSUS was involved and did not want to create another criticizing/complaining about HSUS thread.

The United Animals Nation has been caring for the animals as well. http://www.uan.org/index.cfm?navid=652 and they also have a FB page.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN View Post
    I had heard it was a very elderly man near Woodbury...that is the dead center of the gaited horse world
    I know its Cannon County, but the man was not elderly, from what I understand- my BO was there when he was arrested with his son. She said he looked like a fairly well-to-do guy. The property had large equipment all over the place- brand new, nice things that had simple fixes like flat tires, just abandoned and replaced. There is actually video of him and his son being taken off in cuffs on one of the links I posted.

Quote Originally Posted by eponacowgirl View Post
    I know its Cannon County, but the man was not elderly, from what I understand- my BO was there when he was arrested with his son. She said he looked like a fairly well-to-do guy. The property had large equipment all over the place- brand new, nice things that had simple fixes like flat tires, just abandoned and replaced. There is actually video of him and his son being taken off in cuffs on one of the links I posted.
    I stand corrected,I misplaced him in my mind for an older man in Manchester with the same last name on further inspection:

they have mostly gaiteds,spotted saddle horses and walking stock...that part of the world has more horses than any other part of the state...and yes there is plenty of cheap mature hay but nothing that would grow out or keep babies fat...note the Nashville station said "quality" hay...?

84 horses on 100 acres can't be done esp in the cedar tree covered fields in the Basin...

http://www.wbry.com/node/2622

the man shows spotted saddle horses and that is a typical kinda place for the area

this will be just the "start of the season" now that winter is officially here....first snow tonight...I'd say at least between here and Nashville this will happen 4 more times between now and spring

best
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

The "mug shots" of the father and son charged were shown on the WATE news. I'd put the father in his early 50s more or less, and the son in the late 20s or early 30s.

Of course I'm not know for my ability to "age" humans.

Again, the footage shown during this report documented a couple of thin horses, but also some very well fed ones. So I'm not sure the "whole story" has yet been told.

G.

Creeps like this should be locked up and given a piece of bread and a cup of water a day. No hygeine either. Just pony mill breeders. You need a STAFF with that many horses and it isn't like the market there is booming and hasn't been for awhile now. Those mares should never have been bred.

At least he surrendered them all so they should be able to place them right away. Some really nice prospects in there if they recover.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    The "mug shots" of the father and son charged were shown on the WATE news. I'd put the father in his early 50s more or less, and the son in the late 20s or early 30s.

G.
    well you know I don't watch TV

but it's same song second verse..you know that

If anyone in MidTN wants to volunteer to help, there's a form here:
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dGlLTWJnOC1CMXN0ZERiUU0tREE3RkE6M A

There's a rumor that some of the horses were stolen.
    "My shopping list is getting long but I will add the marshmallows right below the napalm." -Weighaton

Default more info

from some gaited folks closer to the scene:

Starved horses get attention of lawmaker
    Bill would make abuse a felony
    By Anne Paine . THE TENNESSEAN . December 2, 2009

State Rep. Janis Sontany of Nashville moved down the stalls one by one at the Tennessee State Fairgrounds on Tuesday, looking over 82 boney, near-starved horses and two mules.

Manes hung matted with cockleburs. Dehydration, misshapen hooves and wounds were evident.
    One young mule, too weak to be revived, had died two days ago.
    Two Cannon County men, from whose farm the animals were removed from last week, face misdemeanor charges.

Such horrific treatment of horses, or any confined animal, should be a felony, Sontany said, like it is when a dog or cat is abused.
    She said she intends to file a bill in the coming legislative session to try to make it so.
    "We no longer should give anyone a pass if they hold back food and water," Sontany said.
    Farm animals were not included when a bill that addressed dog and cat abuse passed the legislature because of objections from farming community representatives, she said.
    In this case, Charles Eugene (Gene) Howland and his son, Charles C. (Clint) Howland are scheduled for a court appearance Tuesday on misdemeanor animal cruelty charges, according to Cannon County Sheriff Billy Nichols. They are free on $1,500 bond each.
    The district attorney is expected to file more charges, with evidence that the nonprofit groups taking care of the animals say they have gathered to document the neglect.
    The Humane Society of the United States, working with United Animal Nations, estimates the cost of the rescue and work will run about $250,000, for which fundraising is needed.
    Nichols thanked the groups and volunteers for taking on the grim rescue and recovery that was too large and pricey for his department alone.
    About 40 horses were found last week inside a barn in atrocious condition, said Cannon County Detective Charlie Wilder.
    Urine and manure lay so thick that he sank past his boots in it, he said. Ammonia stank so much, his lungs hurt.
    "One dead horse was lying among the live ones," he said.
    Other horses had been confined outside in an area with not enough grass for grazing, Sontany said.

"What do you think the outcome is going to be if you do that?" she asked.

Horses are improving
    About 35 of the healthiest horses will be moved to an equine rescue group as early as next week, said Scotlund Haisley, senior director of emergency services for the Humane Society of the United States.
    They'll be disbursed when they're ready and good homes are found.
    Most won't be strong enough to be moved for three to four weeks, Haisley said.

"This started as a rescue operation , and now it's a life-saving operation," he said. "It's miraculous that we've had as many survivors as we've had this far."
    From the moment the horses arrived a week ago at the fairgrounds to clean individual stalls with food and water, they seemed to perk up, he said.
    "We were in awe," he said, admitting he shed a few tears. "The resilience of these animals is outstanding."
    During the first days of the rescue , volunteers had to help many horses stand up, though most are now staying on their own.
    Donations for the horses and volunteers have continued to pour in, Haisley
    said.
    That has included getting the use of the fairgrounds, which has been indispensable, and veterinarian services, he said.

More help is still being sought.
    Tractor Supply Co. in Brentwood has contributed $5,000 and will give a truckload of Purina feed this week and a truckload of shavings for the stalls.
    "To see what has happened with these animals is just painful," said John Wendler with Tractor Supply.

Previous Page
    Contact Anne Paine apaine@tennessean.com <mailto:apaine@tennessean.com> .

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN View Post
    well you know I don't watch TV

but it's same song second verse..you know that
    Ain't it the truth.

G.

http://www.wbry.com/node/2622

The asshat son is SMILING for his mug photo Like this is even remotely funny? Poor horses

I believe the authorities can only press misdemeanor charges against the men because neglect of a horse in Tennessee is not a felony.

Horse Haven is slated to pick up 15 of the horses next week. http://www.horsehavenoftn.com/CannonCounty.htm

Guilherme, some of the horses shown in the story on WATE were ones currently at Horse Haven, not connected with the Cannon County case, so that is why they looked healthy.