The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Aliens? Ghosts? How do they injure themselves in safe places?

Just been out to do a night check, and found Rue looking a bit banged up. He has a nasty scrape on his cheek, and another on his nose. Few patches of hair missing from other places, like on his hip and back. His near front leg is a bit swollen too. He trotted out sound though. (And I got to discover how much fun it is to cold hose outside in winter. )

No idea how he did it- he's in a very safe loose box, nothing to get caught up on. I was thinking that he'd maybe got himself cast, but his bedding isn't messed up, banks are still tidy. I'm gonna go out tomorrow in the daylight and have a really good look around his box, in case I missed anything tonight.

How on earth do they manage to injure themselves in the safest places? My hubby is blaming the aliens!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

It's beyond me. My gelding had a nice little adventure last night too. He's currently in quarantine waiting to move into the barn. The quarantine is seperate from the barn and consists of a stall and paddock enclosed by a perimeter fence on about a half acre. When we came down to feed this morning I noticed skid marks everywhere throughout the enclosure. I started to freak out a little bit thinking that someone had taken my horse out or something but there he was standing in his paddock like nothing had happened, gate secured and halter still hung up just like I'd left it. We finally found where he had managed to get out through the fence. I was terrified though that he had hurt himself based on all of the skid marks (we had near flooding conditions last night so I could tell he'd been out running and slipping everywhere) but he didn't have a scratch on him.
    So we spent the rest of the morning covering up all the divots so that the vet wouldn't know that he'd been out roaming around. Now I'm just hoping that she won't notice anything tomorrow when she comes to check him out of there. I don't think he could handle anymore time in solitary confinement. Poor guy.

About 6 months ago, a horse at my farm manged to cut his eyelid with his hoof. Then yesterday, the same horse cut the front of his pastern in an indoor arena with no jumps or obstacles of any kind. Stitches or staples needed in both cases. Some horses are just talented.

No, no. They get beamed up to the alien mothership, and then when they transport them down, the transporter must have a blip and they free fall the last few feet. This would explain everything, except how the EZ boots get put back on the wrong hooves.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

talent. Sheer TALENT. Including the dexterity needed to wield a screwdriver and get those Easy boots switched...

This post cracked me up. Its the age old question isn't it? I was standing at a fence with a client who was explaining how quiet his yearlings were and that since they were in such a safe place he couldn't understand why they kept needing to be adjusted. Got this picture while we were standing there. He now just has them checked anytime I'm there <g>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3K7D5705.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	27356  
    Touchstone Farm. Visit us at the slideshow of our Dutch mares and foals below! 30 mnutes of photos.
    http://www.smilebox.com/playBlog/4d6...304f513d3d0d0a

That horse needs the Exorcist.

Touchstone, that is a great pic. May I print it out for my trainer? It can explain a whole lot...
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

A padded room. Night-time horse straight jackets, that's what they need.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

I don't think a padded room would help some of them! We have just learned to call these special beasts our "bubble wrap" horses. We currently have one out of our nine - if anything strange is going to happen it will happen to Taxi. (He once needed stitches on a hind leg because he stepped on himself with the other hnd foot, had an orbital skull fracture that required surgery to repair his eye socket, broke out in hives from a prescription medicated shampoo . . . the list goes on!)

Around here we keep things as safe as possible, but just chalk up those types of injuries as their attempts to drive us crazy.
    ~ A true friend knows all there is to know about you and still likes you. -E. Hubbard

Touchstone Farm - OMG that is quite the picture!! It looks like the one colt broke it's neck!

I think some horses are just really good at finding something to hurt themselves on.
    At one barn I boarded at there was this women that was determined to keep her "baby" safe. He didn't get to go into a bigger turnout, he only had his stall and small run. Of course the horse was REALLY bored so he'd stand with his head over his stall door and while pawing or otherwise, bang his knees. Which resulted in a stall guard being put up so he couldn't stick his head over. Even in this "safe" environment he still managed to find ways to hurt himself again and again.
    __________________________________________________ _
    Proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals!

Kooki - great post!

We always blame the ghosts here at Cullen House!

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Default Transmogrification

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/transmogrification

They turn themselves into mice and wander around looking for food, then forget to get fully back in the stalls before...um...un-transmogrifying.

That's my best guess.

Arrived at a boarding barn many years ago on a Sunday to find Vernon with a split lip that required 7 stitches to close.
    He'd been stalled all night, not a drop of blood anywhere in the stall. Not a single sharp object found inside the stall.
    I remember watching the (emergency) vet stitch him up & counting "#1 @ $25, #2 @ $50...."
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Quote Originally Posted by Mia412 View Post
    I don't think a padded room would help some of them! We have just learned to call these special beasts our "bubble wrap" horses. We currently have one out of our nine - if anything strange is going to happen it will happen to Taxi. (He once needed stitches on a hind leg because he stepped on himself with the other hnd foot, had an orbital skull fracture that required surgery to repair his eye socket, broke out in hives from a prescription medicated shampoo . . . the list goes on!)

Around here we keep things as safe as possible, but just chalk up those types of injuries as their attempts to drive us crazy.
    My first horse was named Taxi (Brass Tax was her registered name). Of course she was a Palomino, so she was a yellow taxi..
    Sorry for the hijack...now back to our regular programming.

Mr. Accident Prone is a bay Taxi, and we love him very much despite his accident-prone ways.

2Dogs, I could totally see him getting in trouble with transmogrification - if the Taxman could turn himself into anything that would let him find more food he'd be all over it. The beast will eat ANYTHING!
    ~ A true friend knows all there is to know about you and still likes you. -E. Hubbard