The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Lamplight Equestrian Center

Hey all you Chicago (and non-Chicago) horsey folks!

I have been hearing rumors of troubles at Lamplight. Checked the Showplace Productions page and it doesn't even list Lamplight on there under "Facility Information" like it used to.

Also, looks like they did away with the B circuit?

Anyone know anymore dirt on this? I would hate to see Lamplight go , as I would much rather show there than Ledges any day!

The IHJA site just updated the new schedules and lamplight shows are listed. They also have the B schedule.

http://www.ihja.com/A_schedule_2010.htm

Hey thanks for pointing that out! TONS fewer B shows now though, huh? That's sad to see. Also, I noticed that only two of those shows are at Lamplight, the rest are at Ledges. I remember when those shows used to travel everywhere!
    Last edited by who22; Dec. 3, 2009 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Grammar

as far as i know, lamplight will still have shows, they just won't be put on by Showplace... unless showplace and lamplight can come to an agreement. It seems that showplace is not happy with the lack of maintenance at Lamplight (ie FOOTING!!!)

As far as the B circuit is concerned, their entries are dwindling... and I think that is reflected in their schedule this year....

No worries, they are workin' hard up in Lake Geneva!!!!
    www.millcreekfarm.net
    **RIP Kickstart aka Char 12/2/2009**

Showplace (aka Pat Boyle) owns the dates, not the facility, so if he decides to move them to Geneva....who knows?

Whoa...I've been out of the loop for a little while...what's going on up in Lake Geneva???

Hey just wondering, why don't you like Ledges? I have only been there once (a while ago) but it seemed nice enough (decent arenas and good footing). The only thing that I would think needs improving is the stalling. Lamplight is a much nicer facility but just wondering why you didn't like Ledges (again its been a while and I'm curious if it has changed or gotten worse).

Quote Originally Posted by myleetlepony View Post
    Whoa...I've been out of the loop for a little while...what's going on up in Lake Geneva???
    http://www.equinenow.com/farm/lake_g...ian_center.htm

Being built I guess, their website has a site plan and they have a Facebook page with a picture of the entry signage.

I didn't know Showplace was having problems with Lamplight. I guess I'm out of the loop too.

I'm so excited to hear about the Lake Geneva show grounds! It will be a bit closer than Ledges/Lamplight/Everywhere else. Lol!

I don't mean to hijack... But has anyone heard that Showplace will be hosting a Grandprix at the Midwest Horse Fair??

I did hear that!!!! $40k is what i heard!!!
    www.millcreekfarm.net

I hope it works out well! It's about time the fair got some more english oriented events! I wonder who will be riding in it, I would think most of the big GP riders would be in Florida for the winter.

Its by invitation... but i agree, its not exactly a H/J venue... but i'm sure by making it invitation only they will be able to fill 30 spots...
    www.millcreekfarm.net

Awesome! It's about time we got a GP here during the winter!

As others have stated, those are Showplace dates which they can have at any facility they want. The only shows that are really affected are the 2 May A warm up shows, the 2 June Spectacular shows & A Finals. The Equifest dates belong to Lamplight & they have just hired Showplace to run those shows.

As for the IHJA B circuit--I went to the annual IHJA meeting in '08 & I know there was much discussion about trying to resurect that circuit & how to attract more people to show there. Honestly it sounded like if they couldn't make it happen in '09, the circuit was facing an end. I know in '09 they made a big push to attract more riders & offered smaller series prizes & more awards within the year. Not sure how it all went over as I did not attend the 2009 IHJA meeting so I don't know what their future plans are.

I think showing in IL is quite competitive & show managers need to go above & beyond to attract/keep customers. There are many circuits to choose from (A, B, NIHJA, IL short circuit, a place to start) plus the schooling shows. In this economy & with limited budgets, people want as much bang for the buck as possible so they are trying new shows or circuits.

As far as the Lamplight situation--who knows what will come in the next few months? If footing really is the issue, that's a very valid complaint. The GP ring is unbeliveably unlevel & when the weather is not good it's very messy. I've seen many horses slip or fall. People have been complaining for years & it doesn't appear to be changing. Ledges is a great facility, but size wise it can't hold the masses of horse or all the people/vehicles that go with them.

I am sure the Lake Geneva facility is going to be lovely when it's complete, but honestly Lamplight is 20 minutes for me v/s Lake Geneva being over an hour & trying to stay in a hotel in a "resort" area isn't going to be budget friendly.
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"

Quote Originally Posted by hntrjmprpro45 View Post
    Hey just wondering, why don't you like Ledges? I have only been there once (a while ago) but it seemed nice enough (decent arenas and good footing). The only thing that I would think needs improving is the stalling. Lamplight is a much nicer facility but just wondering why you didn't like Ledges (again its been a while and I'm curious if it has changed or gotten worse).
    Ledges is just soooo much smaller than anywhere else. Granted, their outdoor facilities are nice, but when showing indoors, St. Louis seems to be a much much nicer (but farther away) place to show. JMHO

They do rated indoor shows there? Wow, now I would believe that would really stink! I have only been to one of their outdoor shows (because St.Louis is where we go in the winter too, although it is much closer to us than the Chicago area) which I thought was decently nice.

I'm really excited for the Lake Geneva to finally be completed, it's so much closer to my house than lamplight. I do like the lamplight venue, but, agreeing with the other posters, the footing is wretched. And ledges is decent, but the past couple years they have had illness and ventilation issues. yuck.
    proud owner of a crazy dutch warmblood

Default Ledges

My main issue with Ledges is that there is the only 1 indoor. With a ton horses there... and only the little tiny warm-up area... not my favorite. I think the entire indoor riding space for winter is 86x300 and it is divided into a 86x100 warm-up area and an 86 by 200 competetion ring and there can be hundreds of horses there for a week.

They did a major rehab a few years ago and the heat is really good, plenty of washracks and really the best cheeseburgers I have ever tasted.

Lake Geneva would be too far for me... it would put it into the having to get a hotel room category and, exactly like Giddy-up, I don't want to deal with that right now.... It sounds like Lake Geneva is only going to be a summer venue? Am I missing any mention of indoors? The St. Louis facility (NEC) is really super, but again, in the too far away category.

Lamplight is world-class, IMHO. I just heard there is an issue between Lamplight and Showplace. Have heard lots of versions about what is going on, Showplace leaving because of defects with Lamplight is yet another version. Would be nice if Lamplight finds a different production company before the season starts if they don't work things out with Showplace.... they could even run it themselves...
    Last edited by headsupheelsdown; Dec. 21, 2009 at 10:39 PM.

The IHJA website says Spring Warm Up, Spring Spectacular, and Fall Finals will be at Lamplight. Is there still a chance one or more of these shows could move to Lake Geneva?
    ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~