The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default HJ barns in St. Louis - enabling my grad student!

I'm a dressage geek, after all, so I'd like some input since I'm out of the local H/J loop.

My grad student rode throughout jr high and high school, would love to pick it back up now that she has passed her preliminary exams.

She lives in the House Springs area, looking for something not too far from home, and not too expensive as she is on a grad student stipend. She also requires some flexibility - she's been looking into a few barns on line and apparently some have a program where you pay a flat fee and if you miss any lessons you are SOL.

Dublin, Legacy, Castlewood, Capitol Farms have been bounced around, any other suggestions/advice?

You can PM me if there's a place to stay away from - I already know of a few but haven't conversed with local HJ people lately so I am sadly not up to date.

And thank you!!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Let me get this straight-- someone's PhD advisor is helping her find saddle time?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Let me get this straight-- someone's PhD advisor is helping her find saddle time?
    if this is the case I have new found hope when I find myself both in debt and in grad school.

YOU GUYS ARE NOT HELPING!!!

Yes. I am enabling her. Having gotten my PhD in the lab of someone who though eating and sleeping were unnecessary and frivolous past times, I have come to realize how refreshing and rejuvenating horse time can be (or other, though golf doesn't do it for me, but I digress). I have gotten fabulous ideas for experiments/grant aims to/from/at the barn. Apart from the emotional and physical release.

In fact, on my CV that I submit for grant applications, I list outreach, which includes not only all the high school and undergraduate mentoring, but Special Horses and Borrowed Freedom. (My research focuses on developmental neurobiology with implications for pervasive developmental disorders such as autism, as well as mental illness, two groups well served by equine therapy!)
    www.specialhorses.org

Not dissing the idea.

I got one of them fancy degrees with a horse in tow (and the debt plus time to degree to show for it).

Yes, the stuff I did with horses contributed in spades to the stuff I do professionally. I generally practiced a "don't ask, don't tell" policy with the profs and others who might thought I was on some track even worse than the mommy one.

We should all be so lucky as to have committee members who are half-way balanced individuals. Your student is lucky.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Thanks for the compliment! (Last year she got breeches for her birthday...just saying...)

...but still - anyone with info on hj barns? I am not so mean that I will seduce her to the Dark Side (a/k/a dressage!).
    www.specialhorses.org

*You* didn't get her breeches, let alone a birthday present, did you?

Hon, you'll make her too soft for the dog-eat-dog world of academia!
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Could I be so lucky as to find an advisor like you when I finally go back to school?

I hope your student knows just how lucky she is!
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~

Well, I'm very transparent about the ugliness of deadlines and funding and academic politics, and since I never had a mentor who actually mentored, she gets to see the good and the bad. My first grad student went to a position in industry and without a post doc, was making $110,000 a year starting salary, and that was a good few years back.

...so, about H/J barns in the St. Louis area, preferably not too far from House Springs...not too expensive, and well maintained...
    www.specialhorses.org

I wish you were my PhD advisor! Though mine did step in when it looked like the horse was going to be sold.

Would Wentzville be too far a drive? If not, try Irish Fox Stables (www.irishfoxstables.com).
    "And now . . .off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums."

Ok, I live here - where the h#ll is House Springs? Is it south? Not much down that way if so. Where is she a grad student at? Wash U, SLU or UMSL?
    My new mantra - \"Life is too short not to eat ice cream.\"
    ReRiders Clique

Irish Fox is amazing. I took lessons there for a little while. They have a very good reputation and the instructors are both experienced and extremely nice.

I have a friend who rides at Castlewood. She LOVES it. And if Wentzville's not too far, try Great Griffin Farm. I personally haven't been there but it looks like a nice place.

Good luck!

I hate to tell you this, but last week in a fit of procrastination/nerdiness I plotted my productivity on my dissertation versus my hours spent with my horse. It was a perfect negative correlation (r-squared = 0.92).

Actually, my PhD advisor is also awesome. He comes to my horse shows and brings his daughter by the barn to help groom my horse. He takes lots of photos and then puts them on a cd in my department mailbox!

House Springs is off of 30 - 44 to 141 to 30, maybe 15 min or so off 141. So Wentzville would be an issue because it's way off track from lab (we're at SLU Med) and her home. I thought of Irish Fox and Griffin, but difficult timewise. I mean, I'd like her to be in lab at some point!
    www.specialhorses.org

Quote Originally Posted by smm20 View Post
    I hate to tell you this, but last week in a fit of procrastination/nerdiness I plotted my productivity on my dissertation versus my hours spent with my horse. It was a perfect negative correlation (r-squared = 0.92).
    Too bad you are hj - you could join me in the Dressage Nerd Herd!
    www.specialhorses.org

Wendy, Wendy
    We HAVE to show you the light. Maybe this Spring after the March/April deadlines? A trip to St. Louis? To illustrate how far this can go, I am paying for half the lessons on my mare for my lab manager so she can get acquainted with her and learn to ride hunt seat before I "retire" my mare to her farm this Spring. They froze salaries here and she's terrific, so this seems a great way to show how much I appreciate her. And now I have someone else in the lab who is learning what a chestnut mare can be like!
    pace, path, balance, impulsion and ??

Don't panic! Ralph Leroy Hill

DGRH you have PM
    "I have been Foolish and Deluded," said he, "and I am a Bear of No Brain at All." - Winnie the Pooh

Quote Originally Posted by kmsf View Post
    DGRH you have PM
    thanks!
    www.specialhorses.org

Quote Originally Posted by GrayCatFarm View Post
    Wendy, Wendy
    We HAVE to show you the light. Maybe this Spring after the March/April deadlines? A trip to St. Louis? To illustrate how far this can go, I am paying for half the lessons on my mare for my lab manager so she can get acquainted with her and learn to ride hunt seat before I "retire" my mare to her farm this Spring. They froze salaries here and she's terrific, so this seems a great way to show how much I appreciate her. And now I have someone else in the lab who is learning what a chestnut mare can be like!
    Maybe you need to come out for a seminar...talk about your research, visit with some colleagues, stay mum about the whole horse thing...then we take time to go to local tack stores, see the barn...maybe combine it with something going on at the St Louis Equestrian Center?

Trudy MacKay (Genetics) at NCSU and her husband Robert Anholt (Neurobiology) are also horse types and I keep hinting I need to be invited down when someone awesome is giving a clinic...
    www.specialhorses.org