The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Need a couple contracts...

So not sure if you might remember i posted a couple days ago about my boarder who attempted to dump her horse on me.

We've worked it out....slightly...i am now acting to sell her horse for her, and need a contract between myself and her giving me permission to sell her horse, but continue to pay board and vet as needed until horse is sold, as well as a sales contract that will have me as agent acting on behalf of my boarder to sell her horse.

I have had contracts to sell horses that were mine, but none for when i act as an agent.

Does anyone have contracts like this? I am trying to keep it matter of fact and not let my personal feelings get into it (it's kinda hard...i lost my respect for her...sigh..)

Thanks,

Jen

I don't have a contract to share with you, but make sure that the contract delineates what happens if the horse doesn't sell, and how either of you can get out of the contract. Sounds like she might just possibly be a wee bit flaky, so I always like to give people like this a way out (and myself a way out, too) if things aren't working out. I would consider keeping your board contract current, that should specify that she is responsible for vet/farrier/etc, and then adding on top of that a consignor's contract.

Oh, and since you have a boarding stable, you should buy or borrow the book "Legal Forms, Contracts & Advice for Horse Owners." That has a sample "Consignment Agreement" in it, and even if you don't use it, you can get ideas for what should be included in such a contract.

Default Jen

I have the book referenced and I can scan and email you a copy of a contract in there. They have one for a consignment agreement for sale of a horse and a limited power of attorney.
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

oh yes please!! Thank you for the suggestion and the offer makes my life much easier. I *may* have someone who is interested in the horse, but i want to cover my butt before anything further happens.

I am seeing the owner this sat, so having her sign the paper work now would make my life easier.

email is rivendellhorses@hotmail.com

Default Jen

sent you the emails.
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

I can highly recommend these:

http://www.equineformsinc.com/

They are very thorough and professional.
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"