The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default is there a limit on the amount of soaked alfalfa cubes per feeding?

I feed soaked cubes instead of grain (with a vitamin/mineral supplement), and two of them get two 5-qt scoops per feeding.

Given that it isn't a grain product, it always seemed just fine to do this. But lately I have been wondering if they are getting the benefit of that nutrition since it is about 4 gallons soaked.

My mare used to get 8 quarts of alfalfa cubes at a time, dry. She didn't really like them as well soaked. She would eat that in one sitting just fine.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

I was sort of wondering the same thing.
    My horse doesn't get too much, when it's soaked it fluffs up to about half of a small feeding bucket (like 5qts?) But I have given him 2x that much at once and he just gobbles it right down.
    I think it digests quickly because it's grass and very natural for the horse. Much like grazing on good grass.
    I think you're ok. And I'm glad you feed them soaked, I am so worried about feeding dry, they are like rocks!!

Na... I feed my 41 yr old with hardly any teeth 1/2 (when dry)of a lg Strongid bucket then soaked twice per day.

Keep an eye on their weight.

Hay and forages are broken down in the hindgut over a period of several hours, not the stomach which processes food for only a few minutes. You should be OK.

Concentrates (grains) are broken down in the stomach and are better in smaller, frequent meals in order for the horse to best utilize the nutrients.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch