The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    True. While it is probably possible to mess up the scan by giving the wrong dose of radioisotope or mis-handling the detector machine (instrument??), the reading and interpretation is critical. My vet runs the Santa Anita facility and routinely consults with Rantannan not only on scans but also radiographs and ultrasounds if she wants a second opinion. She sent me down to Dr. Martinelli (also trained by Rantannan--do we sense a trend here) with Star because we needed an MRI in addition to the scan and he has capability to do both.

My only advice having now been through a SECOND scan and MRI with the same horse since this thread started, is to get the whole horse scanned if you can manage it. It's not a lot more expensive and if I'd done that the first time we might have seen the neck issues in time to do more.
    Nodding my head here! So true on every point.

My vet had to TRICK Martinelli into reading my horse's scan, because the equipment at CSU is so damned archaic, but he did read it and provide insight.

And yes, while you've got the horse at the clinic and it's radioactive, always look at the whole thing. For me, that's the POINT of a bone scan...you're not sure where to look, so look everywhere!

Only other thing I can think to add: some clinics are known for not using enough isotope to adequately image the pelvis of a large horse, so if you have options on where to go, be sure to ask around about that particular point.

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    True. While it is probably possible to mess up the scan by giving the wrong dose of radioisotope or mis-handling the detector machine (instrument??), the reading and interpretation is critical. My vet runs the Santa Anita facility and routinely consults with Rantannan not only on scans but also radiographs and ultrasounds if she wants a second opinion. She sent me down to Dr. Martinelli (also trained by Rantannan--do we sense a trend here) with Star because we needed an MRI in addition to the scan and he has capability to do both.

My only advice having now been through a SECOND scan and MRI with the same horse since this thread started, is to get the whole horse scanned if you can manage it. It's not a lot more expensive and if I'd done that the first time we might have seen the neck issues in time to do more.
    I'm planning on doing a whole body scan. I'm tired of wasting my time and $$ trying to figure out what's going on. My horse is not lame, but does not want to go on the bit and come thru his back. It seems to be getting worse. Have had chiro, teeth, saddle fitting, hock injectings, changed his shoes(have since changed them back), hill work, lessons with Jean Luc Cornille(lameness guro). I want to get him fixed so we can show.

Quote Originally Posted by dmacaramel View Post
    Who does the actual bone scan is not the important part. What is most important is who reads the scans. When I lived in Southern California our vet had Dr Rantannan read our scans and Santa Anita perform the scans. He is one of the best equine radiologists in the world. Since I have been in North Carolina I had a horse scanned at NC State and Dr Redding, who studied under Dr Rantannan, read our scan and did a great job.
    Thanks, It's alot closer for me(VEI is a 5 hr drive). I just want it to get done right so I can get him fixed and move on with my life.

Had a overnight lameness pop up... went to equine hospital and they did diagnostics via xray, ultrasound and dx - "POSSIBLE" meniscus tear. Since the dx said POSSIBLE and they said they wanted to do a "EXPLORATORY" surgery in the stifle I chose to have a bone scan done.

Glad I did..... it was an injury to his sacroiliac... $1,500 to do the scan worth it!

Edited to add - I DID the entire body...... worth it.. found he had a hock spavin and navicular... oh boy!!!
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

Yes, at New Bolton. It lit up one problem area we never would have found (wither) and some other areas that didn't actually turn out to be problems (front feet). Very useful diagnostic.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Quote Originally Posted by doublesstable View Post
    Had a overnight lameness pop up... went to equine hospital and they did diagnostics via xray, ultrasound and dx - "POSSIBLE" meniscus tear. Since the dx said POSSIBLE and they said they wanted to do a "EXPLORATORY" surgery in the stifle I chose to have a bone scan done.

Glad I did..... it was an injury to his sacroiliac... $1,500 to do the scan worth it!

Edited to add - I DID the entire body...... worth it.. found he had a hock spavin and navicular... oh boy!!!
    if you have a hammer then everything looks like a nail. Surgeons at equine hospitals like to solve things with surgery.

1 members found this post helpful.

I've had bone scans done twice- on two different horses. It was very helpful on the first and allowed us to diagnose a hairline fracture in his pelvis. The scan wasn't helpful on the second horse, though I suppose it was use in the sense that it eliminated many possibilities, but the scan didn't lead to a diagnosis in her case.

If I had another hard to diagnose lameness in the future I would consider doing it again though.
    Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
    If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

Just had one and found coffin bone severely bruised. MRI confirmed the same. Used up my insurance, but it was worth it for the peace of mind. Horse on rest for 2 or 3 months then back to work. I just HAD to know!

Just heard back on my horse's scan tonight. They found a very hot spot on the dorsal spinous process at T17/T18, hot spots in the SI (mostly right side), hocks (no surprise there) and left hind fetlock.

Spine will be x-rayed tomorrow morning and depending on what that is, other stuff to follow.

Had a bone scan done on two of my horses, both for significant traumas, sudden onset lameness, the origin of which we could not pinpoint with other diagnostics. In both cases it greatly narrowed down the location. Both were clear hot spots, nothing ambiguous about it. One helped lead us to a soft tissue injury, the other helped us rule out anything wrong other than he just bumped his stifle really hard.

For me, totally worth the money both times. The second time, learning from the first, I went right to the bone scan, saving money on other diagnostics (extensive rads, ultrasounds, etc).