The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Exclamation ASB in SoCal needs a home, currently at a shelter

I am cross posting this info from a rescue board. I don't know anything other than what is posted, but I thought I would help spread the word!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

There are times that TIER is alerted to horses in need of assistance - from abuse, neglect, abandonment, etc. We post information about those horses in hopes of raising funds, rehoming, supplies, transport, and other needs by networking with you to help them.

This is one of those times. We are familiar with this particular horse.

TIER would like to bring to your attention a Saddlebred Gelding currently listed at the Lancaster, CA shelter. He is appx. 15 yrs. old, chestnut and is listed under the Lost & Found section of the shelter's listings. The shelter refers to him as Big Red. His number at the shelter (link added) is: A3835603

This isn't the first time this horse has been in this type of situation. I first met this horse when he was at another rescue several years ago (I'm thinking 2005 or 2006). That rescue moved from it's original location and later (2008) the horses were seized by AC. Big Red was brought to the Lancaster shelter at that time and then adopted out. He was seized once again when the new owner failed to take proper care of him. He is again at the Lancaster Shelter.

I spoke to one of the officer's involved in the first seizure and that is where I got the above information. I contacted the private vet who attends to the horses on occasion at the shelter and asked about Big Red's soundness/temperment. The vet said that Big Red is sound, does well on the ground & is rideable. He did say he was a bit of a drama king in that he reacts quickly to unfamiliar situations. My take on this (not that I am an expert) is that this horse just has not been exposed to a whole lot other than going from place to place, not being cared for properly and not much training/handling involved. At 15 yrs. old, he could use a break!! I would think that a home of his own would not be too much to ask.

It is my understanding that adoption fees from the shelter for horses runs about $150.00. The phone number for the shelter is 661-940-4191 and you would need to have his number when inquiring. A3835603

Someone familiar with the wonderful ASB breed might want to take a chance on him. At least, that is my hope.

Home for Christmas!!! Wouldn't that be nice?

Thank you for reading.
    Last edited by jenm; Dec. 2, 2009 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Added icon
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Yikes,

I tried to post a link to his picture, but it came out totally weird. Best thing to do to find his picture is use this in a search engine:

BIG RED - ID#A3835603
    Last edited by jenm; Dec. 3, 2009 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Link didn't show up right
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg