The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default FL TB's need your help

Dear Eventers these horses need help. I will be going out there in a couple of days to see how I can help.

Dear Fellow Horse Folks,

Over the Thanksgiving holidays, 69 Thoroughbreds in various states of poor condition where brought to our attention. Horse Protection Assn. of Florida has stepped up to the plate and is feeding and caring for these horses. We need help, and lots of it.
    Mostly we need people to adopt these horses. If that is not possible, perhaps you could make a donation of money, or feed, or hay. If you can't do that, perhaps you have something to donate that could be sold to raise funds for feed. If not, perhaps you have a little time you could donate to help with their care. Perhaps you could help with getting the word out, or with internet assistance. Maybe you could answer the phone at the farm or make calls. We welcome your input and ideas.
    Please see our web site: http://www.hpaf.org/
    Please contact us:

Kim Heath
    bheathfarm@aol.com
    352-591-1014 352-591-1014
    Board Member - HPAF
    Bonnie Heath Farm, LLC
    www.bonnieheathfarm.com

Morgan Silver - 352-466-4366 352-466-4366
    msilver@wildblue.net
    Executive Director - HPAF
    http://www.hpaf.org/

Is there a list available of age/sex of these horses? We may be able to take at least one.

Hi Fox Haven

Morgan is the best one to ask. Her info is on the post above.

I will try and take some photos Friday.
    The ones pictured above are at HPAF and are from a different rescue effort. The ones at a Williston Farm are apparantly in a little better shape.

Thanks

sorry I didn't realize the photos were not there.
    These are actually another rescue that was done the same week. The ones mentioned above are supposed to be in a little better condition and are mainly 2 + 3 yr olds.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rescue1.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	27307   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rescue2.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	27308   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rescue3.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	27309  

sally, what farm are these horses at in williston?
    www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

Trackside. I don't know if thats where they originated from or where they have been reloacted too.
    I'm thinking thats where they werre as Dr Russell is going out there tomorrow to do coggins.

I heard the farm was supposed to have been sold and the "new owners" were allowed to move horses there in anticipation of the sale which has not happened either.

We just took in a rescue from NYHR, but I sent a donation. I also emailed a friend who had a HUGE family down there with a number of horsey relatives. I hope someone can help out.

WHAT THE HECK? Why do we have to have people in the world who would do such things to these noble creatures?

We will be in florida in a week. I have room for one. Will send info.

Thanks "Gold" Please contact Morgan directly as she runs the rescue.

I have a bit of a gripe with rescues such as this. YEs, they are VERY well meaning/intentioned, but they really restrict the possible adopters when they say the horses cannot be resold/rehomed or bred. There are MANY people (Such as myself) who take in horses, retrain/train them, and sell them on to FABULOUS homes. There are not so many people taht can take a horse as a "forever" horse, especially in these economic times. Additonally, most horse owners these days don't owntheir own places and must board, so they are limited as to what they can take. If some of these rescues would realize this they would likely place many more hroses. I will only get horses from places that do not restrict what I do with the horse, such as trainer listings from CANTER etc. I fully understand their reasoning, but I do not think it is really valid.

I respect very much the goals and accomplishments of these rescues. Looks like they have had some great success. I know they have to careful who they adopt them out to. However right now I know of at least one person who would be interested in the unstarted ones and be able to train them to be valuable horses and eventually show and invariably sell them. (could even make some donation back to the rescue if it worked out) However with the no sell clause it would make it impossible for that person to do that.

Also looking at the requirements I don't know if our barn would even measure up. We have all fat, happy, healthy coddled horses and 90% of the horses are kept for their lifetime. However since we have mostly sandy pasture we don't have great grass. We serve top notch hay and grain/supplments as needed but should no plentiful grass disqualify?

Perhaps they are a bit more flexible once they get to know the person who wants to adopt. I know that they are just looking out for the horses interests but I can see where ShawneeAcres is coming from.

On the flip side really bad idea for a non horsey person getting one of these for a pet because they will end up back in bad situation.

Regardless my hats off to the people who run the rescue, certainly a dire need in Florida.

That's what I do with dogs. When I find a sad little dog on the side of the road, I pick it up, make sure that it doesn't have a good owner that just lost it, spay/neuter, and find it a good home. So far we have found several just awesome homes!!!! I don't ask for a fee, that is my contribution to society.

I would love to do the same with horses. I have 1000 acres and could take in one that needs health care, food, training, etc..... IF I WAS ALLOWED to find it a good home or sell in the future. Not many people have the room for forever homes......wouln't it be just as good to find it a responisble caring home?
    I good at starting them and could really give them a promising new start in the world......

I would take one of these horses in a heartbeat if I knew I could rehome it!!

We have a CANTER spinoff in Texas called LOPE and with the horses you can adopt off of their ranch, they have a bill of sale that allows you to sell the horse, but they get to keep tabs on him. That seems reasonable. I agree that we need to make sure that the horse doesn't fall on hard times again.

Hope this post makes sense!! I am writing quickly on my break!!!
    4..3..2..1...Have a nice ride!!!

Hi Shawneeacres

I agree that many of the rescues put alot of stipulations on the adoption papers which turn off many very qualified potential adopters.

I'm sure it is very difficult for the rescues to know exactly where to draw the line when they see time and time again horses/animals abused and neglected.

I am only familiar with this rescue as it nearby and I have heard good things about them . My intention in forwarding their letter is to get them some much needed assistance while they have this many horses to take care of. Not too many places or people would want to take on the responsibility or expense of 69 head especially in this economy.

Kudos to our local vets, feed stores and others that volunteer their time and goods to help out.

I also posted this this in "Off Course." From what I understand, they are waving some of the adoption requirements - although I don't know which ones. They are absolutely desperate to get these horses re-homed, so if you would be interested, contact Kim to see if they will negotiate.
    The knowledge of the nature of a horse is one of the first foundations of the art if riding it, and every horseman must make it his principal study.
    ~Francois Robichon de la Gueriniere

thanks for the info kaelurus! good to know

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelurus View Post
    I also posted this this in "Off Course." From what I understand, they are waving some of the adoption requirements - although I don't know which ones. They are absolutely desperate to get these horses re-homed, so if you would be interested, contact Kim to see if they will negotiate.

Thanks Kaelurus,

I thought morgan told me that but I'm just getting over a concussion so sometimes I don't trust what my brain remembers

No problem! I really hope they will be more willing to negotiate some of their terms, because there are a lot of good people that would love to take one, but wouldn't be able to under their normal terms. But this isn't a normal situation, and I get the impression they are pretty open right now...

I got wind of this through a vet school email, and haven't had time to volunteer onsite, so I told Kim I would do everything I could to get the word out. Once finals are over on Tuesday, I plan on going out to help.
    The knowledge of the nature of a horse is one of the first foundations of the art if riding it, and every horseman must make it his principal study.

Morgan is waiving the normal adoption requirements. She normally does in situations like this (unfortunately this is not the first time). Just need references. We are trying to find room for 1 at Heart Land, we are so damn full and money so friggin scarce right now, but I am going to try and find a way. We relieved her of one of her multiple rescues last spring when she had a group of 15 starving TB yearlings, and Louie went on to be adopted by Ruthie Harbison.
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

Bump

Updated info on adoption process for these rescue's.
    Please see contact details on first post.

49 Thoroughbreds in Williston have been surrendered to HPAF and are ready for new homes now. There are 21 broodmares, eight 2 & 3 year old colts, nine 2 & 3 year old fillies, seven weanlings still at their mothers' sides and four stallions.

This is an emergency situation and there will be a shortened adoption application and process, the standard HPAF adoption will not apply with these 49 horses. Please email to request pictures which we will have soon.
    Please provide pictures of where the horse will be kept, your vet and farrier's names and numbers, and two reference. Please tell us what your immediate and long term plans are for the horse, and whether you are experienced with Thoroughbreds and/or training.

Horses will be shown this Saturday, December 5th, from 10am to 2pm in Williston. Please email for an adoption application and the address of where to see the horses.

For the seven horses pictured on the New Rescues page, they will not be ready to go to new homes right away but we want to identify adopters for them who are experienced in rehabilitating debilitated horses and who will hopefully provide permanent homes for them.

The greatest need right now is for donations to pay for feed, hay, and vet expenses.

Thank you to everyone who has sent cash donations as well as feed and hay. We will send thank you letters to everyone who has provided help and we will list everyone in a future newsletter.

Thank you for helping these horses!