The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Royal Riders stirrups

I am wanting to buy a pair of the RR stirrups for my xcountry saddle. I have ridden in trainers and liked but they are somewhat expensive. Just wondering if anyone has tried or have any of the "knockoff" or similar composite stirrups and your likes or dislikes......thanks
    Forward is good

I have the knockoffs (Equiwing???) and they are just fine. I like them a lot. My toes no longer go numb when I'm galloping.

I've tried both and really felt a difference with the RR's. I'd highly recommend them.

I have them and love them. I have rotten knees and I find they help a bit. I also have less toe numbness. My only issue is that I sometimes forget to wrap my hand around the cheese graters when I run them up and scrape my leathers. But that is pilot error

Contrary to what GM says I have never had trouble picking up a dropped stirrup and I don't find they offer too much flex either. I am all about tradition but they really are better than my old fillis and my quik outs.
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Default Love my RRs

I have the Royal Riders that are turned, as in the stirrup does not lie straight against the horse's side. It is much easier for me if I lose a stirrup, as I have neuropathy, so I can't feel my feet overly well. I bought mine from LAsaddles.com Kitty, the company owner, really helped me choose the right RR stirrups for me. They are definitely worth the money!
    Beth

Default EQUI WING

Equi-Wings work flawlessly and I like the wide foot bed, adds a bit more comfort and a more secure feeling.

http://projump.com/ExtraPads.htm

I use these, and LOVE them. I have to use jointed stirrups due to crappy knees. I have 2 students that have the RR and they both seem to have trouble picking them up if they lose them while jumping. They get behind their calf and then can't find them again. I used to put cheese graters on but I now find that these are 10 times better, and don't scratch my leathers, and they don't rattle or shift. I also love that the edge is beveled so I feel that I get a very sold purchase on them.