The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Good bridle and martingale for under $150??

Can it be done? I'm all about bargain hunting (i got a normally $400 bridle for $180 a few years ago at the Beval sale. quite a steal! but i don't have time to wait for the february beval sale, unfortunately) but I need to find a good bridle and martingale relatively quickly.

All that is required:

- Good quality leather, I want the bridle/martingale to last.
    - Horse size, should fit a dainty headed mare
    - will oil up nicely to a pretty havanna

I would really *like* something with fancy stitching on the bridle, but it's definitely not a requirement.

What brands and models should I look into? I'm willing to buy a somewhat cheap martingale if it will at least look alright, but it's important to me that the bridle is of good quality. I'm willing to spend $150 on the bridle and go for a cheap martingale if that's my only option for getting a decent bridle.

Enlighten me!
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

I got a BEAUTIFUL wide noseband Edgewood off of ebay (straight from the edgewood factory) for $150. It didnt come with reins though (I already had an extra pair). Worth every penny. Also, I think stateline tack was having a sale on Pessoa Bridles. Not to sure about the quality of Pessoa though. Maybe try Premier Tack Outlet, but most of thier stuff is usually a little more than $150. Worth a try!
    "To do something that you feel in your heart that's great, you need to make a lot of mistakes. Anything that is successful is a series of mistakes." -B.J. Armstrong

Do you have to have new? in my area we have great store called the tack exchange. You can find really good tack that looks brand new for great prices. I have no shame. Hard to beat a highend bridle like Beval or Jimmy's for less than. $250 that's all nicely oiled!

Brighton from bahrs saddlery is a great looking bridle it is padded and fancy stitched bridle it is great

http://www.bahrsaddlery.com/sb-produ...9&category=108 this is the website (it is in canadian dollars so it will be a bit cheaper in USD) It is a great bridle looks great and it comes with raised fancy stitched reins.

here is what it actually looks like
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...a&id=500990313 (let me know if the photo wont work)

and they have the matching martingale for like $40 padded and fancy stitched

My favorite is the Ovation, which I believe now may retail for a bit more, but can be found on Ebay new anytime for less than $150. I have a few of them, and they are lovely - stitching is maybe not quite as nice as the Edgewood but certainly comparable, and the leather is buttery soft. Personally, I think they are nicer than the Pessoas.

Look into the smartpak bridles. You should be able to find threads on here about them pretty easily.

Former Long Islander now in the middle of the Great Lakes

Bobby's bridles ...

I have purchased items from this seller on E-bay several times:

http://myworld.ebay.com/larryf19/

He has a website as well and sometimes has great deals on bridles and martingales. You could get a Bobby's set for close to $150.00 if you watch the markdowns or specials. I got a running martingale and figure 8 bridle for $180.00. Not trying to advertise for that seller or anything but I have bought from him several times and was happy because I like good service and a good bargain.

another vote for Bobby's!

a good friend of mine has one and we call it The Magic Bridle. it fits absolutely every horse and pony we've used it on, the leather is soft and pliable, can go uncleaned and abused for months and then clean up like new with little effort. the thing is truly amazing. and she got it for under $100 about 6 or 7 years ago i believe, so you could definitely find one in your price range now!

I picked this bridle up at Rolex last year (it came with the matching martingale at no extra cost) as a schooling bridle and was really happy with how nice it was/is. I've shown in it a few times and it really is a beautiful bridle once oiled up. It's super soft and the leather quality is excellent. It's holding up to a lot of hard use just as, if not better, then my edgewood bridles. You can't beat the price and quality especially since it comes with reins.

I really like my Smartpak bridles. I'd recommend the Harwich raised fancy bridle: http://www.smartpakequine.com/produc...ctClassid=7215. It's got lovely raised reins and has oiled up nicely. I think the regular price on the bridle is $109 and the martingale is $60, so it's a little more than $150 for the set. But Smartpak has had some coupons online (cannot for the life of me remember where, though). And if you live close, you can do what I did and use the 15% off coupon that's in the Yankee Pedlar every month.

If you have a little time and prefer a higher-end bridle, I'd buy used. If you need something new or right away, I'm a big fan of both the Bobby bridles and the Ovation line. My trainer uses both for his school horses and they are very durable and the leather is nice. I own a Bobby for daily use, and I must admit that once I conditioned and used it a bit, the leather is far nicer than I would have expected for a bridle in that price range.

I haven't seen a Smartpak bridle in person, but people on this board have talked very highly of them.

The bridles in the SmartPak catalog are interesting. I'm looking for some good quality schooling bridles (don't need the reins) so I put less wear and tear on my Edgewood (I show in those). I think there was a previous thread on the SmartPak bridles...you might want to go look it up.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeB10 View Post
    I have purchased items from this seller on E-bay several times:

http://myworld.ebay.com/larryf19/

Just bought a new Bobby's bridle (plain raised) from them about two weeks ago as a schooling bridle for the new horse and I paid less than $100 with shipping. Good quality leather and stitching. Overall, I would say it could be used for lower rated shows.
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

Seems like everyone's raving for Bobby's and Smartpak.

So i have a question:

How do their sizes run? this mare is a warmblood, but she has a VERY dainty head (not weirdly small or anything, it's just definitely very dainty) My trainer's regular horse size bridle is pretty big on her. I will have to get a picture tomorrow.

Also, how exactly can I measure for a bridle?? I found some edgewoods (horse size) for awesome prices on ebay, and it gives measurements for everything, and I'm wondering exactly *how* to measure

Technically, I haven't signed the papers for her (she's on trial, vet comes in two days) yet but, basically, as long as she vets clean, everything's done.

But I'm not in a huge rush to get a bridle. My trainer has a ton of extra bridles and she said i'm allowed to use them on her until i find myself a good bridle for her.

And I'm open to buying a nice used bridle if I find one that fits and is in good shape. I'll be heading out to the local tack shop consignment area to see if I can dig up some gold, but I'd like to have some options for new bridles if I don't find anything
    (|--Sarah--|)

Quote Originally Posted by superpony123 View Post
    Seems like everyone's raving for Bobby's and Smartpak.

So i have a question:

How do their sizes run? this mare is a warmblood, but she has a VERY dainty head (not weirdly small or anything, it's just definitely very dainty) My trainer's regular horse size bridle is pretty big on her. I will have to get a picture tomorrow.

I ordered a Harwich from SmartPak in my mare's normal cob size. It was too small for her. I'll have to go up to the horse size if I order another. She's a dark bay though and I also worried about it not getting dark enough.

Edgewood bridles run big and really stretch. If she has a dainty head you will probably need a cob. My jumper wears a full in a Jimmy's but a cob in an Edgewood.

You had a large pony before her, right? Why not try that bridle on her to get an idea of what might work.

Quote Originally Posted by JA View Post
    Edgewood bridles run big and really stretch. If she has a dainty head you will probably need a cob. My jumper wears a full in a Jimmy's but a cob in an Edgewood.

You had a large pony before her, right? Why not try that bridle on her to get an idea of what might work.
    I didn't even think about that, actually! Granted, I highly doubt it'll come close to fitting her. My pony has a relatively dainty head too, and his bridle isn't adjusted as tight as it goes. But i'll give it a shot! I guess at least i'll be able to see if she should be more cob sz or horse sz
    (|--Sarah--|)

Default OVATION is perfect

I really find the Ovation bridles to be perfect. Frankly, I think the prices are too cheap.. I am not suggesting that they raise prices, but If they priced them higher then people would be comparing them to high end bridles, and I think the Ovation would come out on top..

Quote Originally Posted by atouchofclass View Post
    I really find the Ovation bridles to be perfect. Frankly, I think the prices are too cheap.. I am not suggesting that they raise prices, but If they priced them higher then people would be comparing them to high end bridles, and I think the Ovation would come out on top..
    I've got an Ovation, and while I loved the price...it doesn't compare to the really nice bridles. It's priced right where it should be.

FWIW: I'm not a bridle snob. I don't think a bridle has to be $$$ to be nice and I don't care if it's buttery soft, etc (it's a bonus, but not a requirement). I show in my schooling bridle (a Moritz) that cost me $100 about 7 years ago.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"