The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thrush experts - ToDay and ToMorrow products

For those that have used Today or Tomorrow cow mastitis treatments for thrush - how much do you use, how often, and for how long?

Horse has chronic thrush in two feet. We have tried ALL the traditional thrush remedies and cannot get it completely cleared up. We now have a 12 syringe package of Today - do we apply a half syringe (full syringe seems like overkill) to each foot daily, 2X daily, or what? And for how many days?

Just apply enough to cover the surface area of the thrush!! Apply it until its gone. (a couple days? A week? Depends on your horse and how dry you can keep his feet. Its the best remedy we've tried.
    Kim
    The Galloping Grape
    Warrenton, VA
    http://www.GallopingGrape.com

One application of Tomorrow cleared up thrush in a rescue horse - was really surprised how quickly it did the job.

I don't know if Today will do anything for thrush as I've never used it. But I know Tomorrow will clear it up pretty darn quickly. As far as amount I just squirt enough in there to cover the affected areas. The most I've had to use it is twice, but these weren't horrendous cases of thrush either. If it's somewhere you can squirt it and pack a cotton ball on it, that will work too.

Again, not sure about the Today product (cephapirin sodium) since it's different than Tomorrow (cephapirin benzathine).

I've used "Tomorrow" the DRY mastitis treatment and only had to use a couple of applications.
    --Gwen <><
    "Treat others as you want to be treated and be the change you want to see in the world."
    http://www.thepenzancehorse.com

I asked my vet which of these two would be preferable
    to use. He explained that Tomorrow is formulated to be
    more persistant in the animal's system than Today. When
    we use this for thrush, we try to get well up between the
    heels into the cavity above and then add medication until
    we see it coming back out. If that takes a whole syringe,
    there is obviously a major problem and that much medication
    is desirable. Usually one syringe will treat for 2-3 days.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    For those that have used Today or Tomorrow cow mastitis treatments for thrush - how much do you use, how often, and for how long?

Horse has chronic thrush in two feet. We have tried ALL the traditional thrush remedies and cannot get it completely cleared up. We now have a 12 syringe package of Today - do we apply a half syringe (full syringe seems like overkill) to each foot daily, 2X daily, or what? And for how many days?
    I used Tomorrow -

In the begining I used almost a full tube each foot, but there were lots of "crevices" and I was going full out

I did that for about 5-7 days, then went to half a tube for another week. Cleared it up, didn't return. Applied once a day. I would pick the foot really cleanly, apply the Tomorrow, hold foot up for a few seconds for it to seep in and that was it.

I had previously tried everything else under the sun, with no results.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I've used both. Freaking miracle drugs in a $4 tube. Best kept secret of the horse health world, frankly. God bless my farrier for telling me about it. Cleared up a heel bulb infection in an aged horse in one week.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I sell the stuff off my truck when my trim clients want a tube or two. It's cheaper to buy a case but not everyone wants that much of it. Seems like one tube per foot...about a week's supply...clears up even nasty cases. For more mild cases, I'd use it every other day for a week. It really is remarkable how well it works. I've seen nothing better.
    Last edited by Daydream Believer; Dec. 1, 2009 at 09:01 AM.

I use neither. I use the US Vet Go-Dry. It's the one with Penicillin, not cephapirin (Have used Today and Tomorrow with absolutely no results before). It's been very muddy here, but I squirt a little bit into each front foot (back feet have been ok) every day to keep the thrush in check. Just waiting for the ground to freeze....I hate mud!
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

DownYonder is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Our local Tractor Supply did not have ToMorrow in stock, so since I had made a 30 mile trip to the store, I went ahead and got the ToDay.

Another question regarding dosages - if we only use enough to cover the affected area on each foot, is that a strong enough concentration to do any good? And aren't most antibiotic treatments prescribed for 10 days? I am concerned the bacteria may develop a resistance if we don't use a heavy enough dose for long enough to COMPLETELY kill it off.

BoysNightOut - if the ToDay doesn't work, I will try either ToMorrow (if I can find it) or Go-Dry.

DownYonder,

I had a horrible case of thrush a number of years ago (well, I didn't the horse did ) ... it had eaten away 70% of the frog, and there was a hole in the hoof. It was AWFUL.

My farrier, God bless him, told me to use Cefa-Lak and NEVER use the traditional treatments with this serious of a case as they have formaldehyde in them, which can get into the blood stream. This was the *daily* regime, and IMHO, just punishment for not being more careful with my horse's feet:
    1. Warm/hot water. Scrub brush. Dish washing soap (antibacterial.) Pick the hoof,.. careful with the hole in the frog...then scrub all four hooves. He had thrush in all four hooves, but the worst was the back left, the next worst was the back right.
    2. Use one tube of Cefa-Lak. Make SURE to get it into the hole that is between the bulbs of the hoof. That's what that long tube is best for.
    3. I always did the boy first, them I put him in his stall while I did the rest of my chores, ... about 1/2 an hour. Then I turned him out, even though it was muddy.
    He began feeling better almost immediately. Part of the reason is Cefa-Lak is oil based, so it penetrates and "stays" longer than anything that might be water based. I'd say it took about two months to get everything back to normal ... I'm guessing as it was a number of years ago. BUT, the first indication that everything was going well was that hole in the bulbs ... within a week or so, I couldn't get the thin tube down the hole as it had pretty much closed/healed.

The biggest pain the in the neck was scrubbing the feet. Oh, and keeping his stall immaculate! Absolutely *no* urine—not even a trace—at all.

Hope this helps. I've been obsessed with thrush ever since ... and have never had another case.

Gee, talk about reading for comprehension I surely didn't. Sorry about that, OP, you were asking about two specific products! I hope this might help though, as I believe they are similar.
    Last edited by Oldenburg Mom; Dec. 1, 2009 at 08:26 AM.
    "For God hates utterly
    The bray of bragging tongues."
    Sophocles, Antigone Spoken by the Leader of the Chorus of Theban Elders

Cefa-lak = Today and Cefa-dri= Tomorrow. The formulations
    of Cefa-lak and Today are pretty much the same stuff so
    I would buy whichever of these is cheaper (or available).
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

I think the dry cow treatments have 2 antibiotics in them.... plus it's meant to stay in the cow longer, so shouldn't be used in lactating cows.

I've used both on thrush (or scratches) with good results, but try to get dry cow, if it's available. I rarely treat more than once.

One other tip, if the tubes have been sitting on a shelf for a while.....

I found it useful to shake the tube before I opened the cap and applied. Sometimes it would be a bit "watery" at the lower end of the tube. Kinda like the ketchup bottle maybe.....

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    And aren't most antibiotic treatments prescribed for 10 days? I am concerned the bacteria may develop a resistance if we don't use a heavy enough dose for long enough to COMPLETELY kill it off.

I think you are thinking of internal antibiotics (feed through, injections). Even with antibiotic eye ointment you don't do it for 10 days. You do it until the problem is cleared and then do an extra day or two to be safe.

Thrush is in the soil and is a bacteria. You just have to get the dead material out of the hoof, debrided and kill what's there. You have to get out as much of the thrush as you can with the hoof pick before you apply anything. Air kills it. Proper trimming and diet also play a big role as well. Stay on top of it for prevention (use something once a week, even just plain betadine is fine).

And once I get it cleared up I dose with Tomorrow at the least whiff of thrush and sometimes will dose when we are having recurrent we weather that usually leads to thrush (only about 1/4 a tube per foot).

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Jeffers livestock has Cefi-dry for $25/12 tubes, generally when I order on Wed I have it by Friday here in Atlanta (you need $50 for free shipping, but you can combine equine/livestock orders)
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Try Usnea herbal tincture. Order it online from a herbal/homeopathic type place (herbalcom.com is one) or get through Whole Foods, etc. My gelding has had chronic thrush all his life and a farrier turned me on to this. It was like a miracle to me.

Quote Originally Posted by BoysNightOut View Post
    I use neither. I use the US Vet Go-Dry. It's the one with Penicillin, not cephapirin (Have used Today and Tomorrow with absolutely no results before). It's been very muddy here, but I squirt a little bit into each front foot (back feet have been ok) every day to keep the thrush in check. Just waiting for the ground to freeze....I hate mud!
    Not much help with the OP, but I've had very good results with Go Dry as well. Way better than Thrushbuster, etc. For a horse with an issue, I apply it daily until it is gone and I've never had to use it for more than a few days in a row. I use enough to cover the affected area daily. On extremely bad cases, my friends have soaked cotton balls with Go-Dry and stuffed them between the heel bulbs or in any thrushy crevices. Generally, they fall out on their own.
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website